It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP guts ethics panel

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
trump did something!! he tweeted, and they dropped it!!

www.cnn.com...

"Trump didn't say he was against gutting the Ethic Office, only that it shouldn't be their first priority. He calls the Ethics Office "unfair."

"With all that Congress has to work on, do they really have to make the weakening of the Independent Ethics Watchdog, as unfair as it may be, their number one act and priority."

So it has not been dropped, just postponed until trump pushes his stuff through.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Also the only way I would need or want help from them. Is if they screw this country up even more than it already is. Which seems to be what will happen. Not that there would be any programs to help those like me out anyways. Ya know since the current establishment is against government help. Unless of course they need to be bailed out.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: conscientiousobserver

Yes and create more pollution and problems in the process. Not to mention those that would lose their positions in the epa.

Regan tried deregulation and while it made the epa more efficient. It resulted in the loss of lives and very expensive toxic disasters, but hey it created jobs and people got paid to clean it all up. So it's okay right?

I am not saying we don't need the EPA. I am saying that there is to much red tape involved with it. It needs to be deregulated.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Also the only way I would need or want help from them. Is if they screw this country up even more than it already is. Which seems to be what will happen. Not that there would be any programs to help those like me out anyways. Ya know since the current establishment is against government help. Unless of course they need to be bailed out.

I doubt he could mess up this country more than it already is. I hear you about the bail outs. Bush and Obama dropped the ball on that one.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
We don't need an ethics panel. Trump is there to look out after us and keep an eye on government. Nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Yes he beat them by appealing to the vast amount ignorant voters in this country by putting on a show and making unrealistic campaign promises. Most of the time behaving like a spoiled brat.
The DNC shot themselves in the foot by taking down Bernie. Hell if they would have made Bernie V.P. we would have easily won.

Also it doesn't help that every attack whether false or factual, coming from the left or right aimed at Donald was seen by the ignorant masses as the establishment trying to protect their investments and that trump could do no wrong. When in fact all those idiots did was vote the owners of the establishment directly into office.

Naw. The owners of the establishment were foreign, at least on Hillary's part. But please. The imbeciles on the left had eight years to help this country, and they just divided it. Blame it on uneducated idiots if you want, that is all that the left have to cling onto now. Pathetic really.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I'm talking about the guys the lobbyists work for. Some of which were foreign countries, but many of them are now in trumps cabinet. Since you brought up foreign counties. Let us not forget that it has been proven that trump can only get loans from Russian banksters as of late (since his credit is destroyed in America). Banksters who have very close ties with Putin. Thus giving us a president in debt to Russia. When and how that debt will be repaid is anyone's guess.

Yes the left had 8 years to fix the 8 years of damage the right did to this country. With absolutely zero help from the right at that. Which is also the cause of any division. The right wouldn't help Obama. So the Democrats disdain for the Republicans grew. Now when he could Obama would go over their heads to get things done. Which of course caused disdain amongst the Republicans. Thus the republicans caused the division simply because Obama was elected president. So which side is pathetic now?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
jimmyx:

Putin is laughing all the way to the Kremlim...

Putin might well be laughing , but he has nothing whatsoever to do with America's problems.

...seems he now has the formula for creating massive upheaval in politics of western countries, he knows how to give dumb-asses a voice.

Nope, entirely wrong again. It seems now that whenever a problem arises in America, the claim is instantly made that it is all Putin's fault, or maybe aliens? The real cause of problems in America, is of course, Americans! Yet, by the same token in being the cause, Americans are also the fix, as the reversal to gut the ethics panel demonstrates. The reaction to the plan was so condemnatory and of such a 'hue and cry', that they quickly reversed the decision.

Do you know what the political and financial elite fear most? They fear the breakdown of society. Not for good intentions towards society do they fear this. Not for the sake of the ordinary man and woman, but for their own sake. They love all their authority, and all the trappings of privilege it affords them. All the luxury of wealth and status and power, and being served on 'hand and foot' by obsequious acolytes fawning for the toss of a contemptuous tip from their pockets. If society broke down, all that is gone in an instant. They don't survive.

Through the apathy and suspicion, and quite frankly, the moral and ethical laziness of the American people, the political and financial elite have managed to socially engineer a society of serfs, simply because the American people allowed them to do so. Checks and balances are not only in the Senate or Congress, in fact that is the least of where their power lays, the greater power of checks and balances lay in the collective union of the ordinary American people. When the American people work together as one, nothing, no group of politic or financial ideologue can stand in their way.

You have allowed the political and financial elite, working in collusion with each other, to dictate the type and the terms of American society. It is similar in other western countries. The same apathy and suspicion, the same moral and ethical laziness has allowed the same thing. It is all down to perceptions, yours and mine. How we perceive things through a social lens that isn't presenting us the true state of what we have allowed ourselves to become.

So partisan and fractured towards each other are we that the political and financial elite can practically do anything and get away with it, and reward themselves for doing so. They are playing with your hard-earned money paid in taxes, and treating it like it is their personal reserve for whatever project they deem fit, and will continue to do so until we ordinary people come together and work to turn it around. The ordinary man and woman is the ultimate check and balance, and the ultimate decider on how society should be. Perhaps though, that responsibility and duty is too inconvenient for you. You shouldn't have to do anything, someone else should...yeah?
edit on 3/1/17 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'm talking about the guys the lobbyists work for. Some of which were foreign countries, but many of them are now in trumps cabinet. Since you brought up foreign counties. Let us not forget that it has been proven that trump can only get loans from Russian banksters as of late (since his credit is destroyed in America). Banksters who have very close ties with Putin. Thus giving us a president in debt to Russia. When and how that debt will be repaid is anyone's guess.

Yes the left had 8 years to fix the 8 years of damage the right did to this country. With absolutely zero help from the right at that. Which is also the cause of any division. The right wouldn't help Obama. So the Democrats disdain for the Republicans grew. Now when he could Obama would go over their heads to get things done. Which of course caused disdain amongst the Republicans. Thus the republicans caused the division simply because Obama was elected president. So which side is pathetic now?

Both sides are pathetic. Like a bunch of children crying and trying to find someone to blame. You cannot blame any this mess on Trump. Only the ones that have been in power. I for one am at least going to give him a chance, like I did Obama.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Satire:

edit on 3-1-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is what some people in Congress are worried about....

(from Nov 2011)
'60 Minutes' Uncovers Pelosi's Insider Stock Trades

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

This has nothing to do with Trump.

When did The Washington Post ever give Trump credit for anything? In this case they claim just one twitter got the job done.

Trump takes aim at House Republicans, and they run for cover

Less than two hours after President-elect Donald Trump criticized House Republicans — in a tweet, of course — for trying to gut an ethics investigative unit on the first day of business in the new Congress, those plans lay in shambles in the Republican conference’s meeting room.

How did he do it?

Now, their party’s leader wields a Twitter account with 18.5 million followers. As he prepares to enter the Oval Office in little more than two weeks, Trump is far more popular in their districts than they are. He employs as his chief strategist the former leader of Breitbart News, a conservative media outlet that has included among its top targets the skewering of Republicans not deemed suitably conservative.

He is no idiot.

Looks like Wash Po is one of the rats jumping ship.

edit on 1/3/2017 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Morons...

This is like having the SS investigate Auschwitz.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The fact that the GOP made the attempt is shameless and corrupt as F despite their reversal tonight.

Seriously, Dems have issues, but nothing to the extent that is the GOP and its past record on corruption. You see why the majority of people in the US disapprove a Trump presidency despite he allegedly was against the repeal of the ethics panel, it's because of the right wing garbage that the GOP house tried to commit.

If you didn't get it, now you see why our congress has the lowest rating in history. It's because of this trash that the GOP continues to try and legitimize time and time again.

Drain the F'ing swamp already.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Timing is everything - Donnie. Way to fake presidential

They awoke Tuesday to an intense public outcry. Social media lit up with criticism of representatives trying to rein in the ethics office created a decade ago in the aftermath of scandals. Angry constituents inundated their representatives’ offices with calls of protest. Journalists peppered lawmakers with questions. The halls of the Capitol felt chaotic.

Then, shortly after 10 a.m., came the loudest objection of all: A pair of tweets from President-elect Donald Trump scolding Congress for making the weakening of the ethics watchdog its “number one act and priority.”

The windowless room fell silent, according to several lawmakers in attendance. McCarthy gave them an ultimatum: Reverse course now, among fellow Republicans, or take a public floor vote. He asked for unanimous consent to remove the rules change — and shortly after noon, he got it. The push to amend ethics rules was now dead, or at least fast asleep.

“I can tell you the calls we’ve gotten in my district office and here in Washington surprised me, meaning the numbers of calls. People are just sick and tired,” Rep. Walter B. Jones (R-N.C.) said of the simmering outrage over the proposed change. “People are just losing confidence in the lack of ethics and honesty in Washington.”

edit on 1/4/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: accuracy

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I'm glad that this was over turned. The media can debate all day about Trump's involvement with this one but at the end of the day the right course of action happened.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The media is seriously pissing me off

Enough said about that I suppose

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

fake presidential

Yes! That's it! He's a fake. A scammer. He's faking being presidential. God help us, we elected a fake POTUS. And fake products aren't of the same quality as the real deal. Well, well, well, somehow this faker became head of the most complex nation on earth, and now he'll fakely lead. And people like him don't care how bad the outcomes of their fakery are, they just blame you either for not seeing it sooner, or, in Trump's case, for exposing it (and in his mind, you're the wrongdoer for exposing it). ..... no wonder he's on the side of Congress for gutting the office at some later date, just not now.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

I doubt he could mess up this country more than it already is.

THAT should have been a Trump bumper sticker.

It represents well the thinking of many of his supporters...Meh..he couldn't make it worse!

I strongly believe that notion is going to be fully disproved in a matter of months.

Many a catastrophe has been preceded by the words "well..at least things can't get any worse than this"..

Yes...Yes they can...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Yep. It's a lot easier to break things than create them or fix them, repealing the ACA without replacing it, for example.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join