It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should NASA always tell the public the complete truth?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Yes, in general. In a case of International panic and security? No. Nor are they legally required to divulge anything.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlatBastard

I see its possible that you are a yellow leprechaun covered in pink polka dots.

I see its possible that you dont exist and are just a figment of a dream I m having.

Anything is possible, the mind can go beyond rationality and logic and into oblivion.

However there are other factors like probability and plausibility when trying explain reality and things that reside in our reality.

So far, Flat earthers have shown one thing in common, ignorance.

However, I have suspected that some only put the act of ignorance on because they have something invested in flat earth theories.

the more you push these ideas, the more you expose yourself.

I really don't see how any of this is contributing to this thread, maybe if you want to discuss flat earth ideas you can either start your own thread or post in the many threads already available about the subject.

I guess its my fault, I started it by directing my post to you in a way that would be seen as arrogant and confrontational.

for that I apologize

However, it was just a way for me to see how easy you are to manipulate

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

The difference is that we can demonstrate that it is flat, and there is no curvature over distances where there should be.

You are the ignorant ones believing in fairy tales and debunked arguments and so called observations.

So I am manipulated by you because I interpreted your comments the way you even admit they were written? Right.

maybe if you want to discuss flat earth ideas you can either start your own thread

Oh I will, remember, babysteps.

edit on 12/18/2016 by FlatBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So we have a lot of people who think they have the “right” to “the Truth” irrespective of what it is. There are a number of problems with this. The biggest one is that you wouldn’t know what the Truth was if it bit you in the butt anyway. Why? Because too many times your “Truth” is a political truth that has nothing to do with reality. “Never a Straight Answer” NASA is a good example. If NASA told you the Truth, how would you know? At this point you require NASA to concede to your speculation of what the Truth is. The “Truth” you THINK is out there runs the gamut from “NASA found life on Mars and isn’t telling us.” To “But Ben Rich said we can already travel among the stars” and “Aliens are abducting us by the millions.” Basically unless NASA agrees with your fantasies you won’t believe they are telling “The Truth.”

Now where did this idea that you have a “right to the Truth!” come from? When we talk about “rights” as a citizen they come from several places. The Declaration of Independence says: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” According to Jefferson, who granted these rights? The Creator. Somebody, i.e.: God, GAVE us these rights. The US Constitution is another source, specifically the Bill of Rights, so we have the “right to keep and bear arms” maybe, as long as this is defined as a personal and not a collective right. Who defines that? The Supreme Court, by a single vote. Who GAVE us these rights? The framers of the Constitution under pressure from the States.

These days we pass laws to grant us rights. Who does that? Normally legislators themselves, and sometimes the people by initiative or referendum. So these days you have the right to be gay, but you don’t have the right to refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay wedding because that is “discrimination” but you DO have the right to refuse to sell propane to Trump supporters, at least most places. Who “gave us” these rights? Legislators and the Court system. They are not “inherent.” “God” didn’t grant them to us. In many cases, they were forced down our throats. Ask the baker.

So where is the “Right to Truth” in any of this? It doesn’t exist. The closest you can get is the FOIA which seeks to give citizens the “Right” to a transparent government by making most written (and electronic) material accessible to citizens by request. But when you actually READ the law (a burden to most who find the task too onerous) it provides numerous loopholes and reasons where the government can prevent disclosure of such material on grounds of national security, personal privacy, e.g.: personnel records, and a variety of other reasons, many of them quite general. In other words, if NASA decides not to disclose something, there are a variety of boxes to check as reasons for that action which are perfectly 100% legal.

So, no, you do NOT have “The Right to the Truth.” But this begs the question entirely. If NASA tells you something and you don’t BELIEVE it is “The Truth” that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Yet because of your BELIEF you continue to proclaim that NASA lies to you. Is this because they are withholding the truth? No, it’s because you are delusional and ill-equipped and not sufficiently educated to discern what The Truth is. So if some idiot tells you he was on Mars when he was ten years old and there he saw a Sasquatch, points out a NASA picture and says, “That’s a Sasquatch,” unaware that the rock he is pointing at is 2cm in diameter, and you are so gullible as to believe him, whereupon NASA says that isn’t true, where do you get off calling NASA a liar? NASA is not obligated to continually deal with the Arrogant Idiocracy that doesn’t have half the “rights” it thinks it does.

Plus NASA doesn’t work for you and does not report to you directly. NASA works for the Executive Branch and reports to the Legislative Branch for funding. If NASA ever did find life on Mars, for example, they are not obligated to tell you directly. They are obligated to inform the Executive Branch and that Executive Branch will inform you if they so choose. The President will get on is pulpit and say, “Hey, we found life on Mars.” That’s how it works. That’s the protocol.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Hard to believe what I am reading...."should NASA keep secrets from US citizens"....hell no. No good reason, ever. Science is the reason for NASA...not secrecy, American ascendency or any other greedy, nationalistic garbage.....science, Should SCIENCE be kept from US citizens? Sure...lets start with the greedy, dumb ones...I get to choose. What a silly, stupid notion that we spend all this money on discovery then allow dolts to keep the findings locked away "for our own good"...hogwash.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You make a great case for the liars but I am not convinced. You do agree that honesty is a virtue right?

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Has keeping truth from the public really had a positive outcome? The answer is no. An entire world built on a foundation of lies...

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMarsmost times i would say yes. nut if they discovered a massive no way to stop or survive ele was inbound with in days or hours i don't know on one hand i would like to spend rest of my time with loved ones but on other hand i beleive it would turn man upon man as lots of people would being trying to do whatever they wanted.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlatBastard

What do you mean complete truth, they haven't told us anything that is true, ever.

ever?....so how would you know that?...must be that truth teller, the internet blogs.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: apydomis
Has keeping truth from the public really had a positive outcome? The answer is no. An entire world built on a foundation of lies...

I am sure it has at some time, like during world war II. Do you think the whole world should of known that the US was building a secret weapon and exactly what that weapon was and where they were building it? Do you think the plans for D-day should have been published in the papers before the invasion?

I do agree though that there are too many secrets and too many lies. That is different and not what I was talking about.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: LookingAtMarsmost times i would say yes. nut if they discovered a massive no way to stop or survive ele was inbound with in days or hours i don't know on one hand i would like to spend rest of my time with loved ones but on other hand i beleive it would turn man upon man as lots of people would being trying to do whatever they wanted.

I think I would want to know. I just would not want anyone else to know.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

People keep secrets in there own interest, not yours and I would imagine figuring out how to make non radioactive gold in a collier or using nuclear fusion would be easier than mining mars.

lol like after the mid 40's they just kinda gave up on the whole making gold thing.....
edit on 18-12-2016 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
This is a question I have thought about at length. I believe the answer is no. I would like to see what others think about this?

yes, everyone should always tell the truth.

The only reason to lie, is to control others.

A lie is a misdirection, that gets people to look the other way, while those who know the truth can profit.

The idea that truth is too dangerous for the common person is a myth.

Humans adapt really well to new and novel circumstances, and any change in perceptions of our reality would simply be accommodated into the new outlook.

Of course, some changes could cause a rearrangement of people's priorities, and some people will be "lifted up" by the new reality, while other people will "fall down" because of this, but that's the natural order of things.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Since this agency is funded by the taxpayer - Yes.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

USA military is also funded by the taxplayer. Should they reveal everything they do or know to the public?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

USA military is also funded by the taxplayer. Should they reveal everything they do or know to the public?

Is space a matter of national security?

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Is space a matter of national security?

Damn skippy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join