It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada student who swung knife at classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I don't think we'll get consensus here.

Using fictional characters, Let's say Nelson Muntz is bullying Lisa Simpson. (Obvious stereotypes)

My solution would be to give Lisa a copy of "How to win friends and influence people" and get a shrink to help Nelson deal with his self worth (I'm thinking Robin Williams from Good Will Hunting).

How would you respond to that hypothetical?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I was picked on until highschool after Karate and I never fought in school again,because I didn't pick them.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden
a reply to: everyone

No it was reported that he was "only" bullied for a few days, there is actually no evidence either way.

If you read what I've written, I am not condoning what he did, I am say that at 14 he is not an adult. If you have spent any time around teenage boys, the phrase adult is not applicable to most of them, again this is why they do not let them drive, or drink.

SO far that is what has been reported so that is what i will go by. I even havent seen the father claim it was any different then that. A 14 year old simply is not a adult i think everyone can agree on that with the greatest ease but someone does not need to be a adult to know it is not right or smart to solve a issue like this by bringing to school and pulling out a knife, especially when you end up facing a police officer with a gun ordering you to put it down and refusing it right after you lunged yourself at someone with it.

I was a 14 year old boy too at some point remember that. And i knew and seen a lot of other 14 year old boys and girls. Lets stop acting as if most 14 year olds are somehow retarded and unable to know these sort of things thats just poor excusing. I can accept he made a mistake, misjudgment but this is starting to look more like taking away any accountability just because he was 14. I dont agree with that and am of the opinion that that sort of thinking is the source of issues like this. We teach kids these days that they are all always winners and how others are to blame for anything wrong in the world around them. We should stop doing that. He is young yes, give him a second chance and help him 100% but excusing his actions constantly by constantly repeating "he is just 14" which no matter how you spin it automatically excuses him for any real accountability is not helping him or others learn AND his parents or the school.

He is 14, not 5.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

And thus changing who she is? The bully has to change, not the victim, that´s my response. It cannot be right that one is picked at for who he is and the bully gets 50% absolution because the victim is "at own fault". I respectfully disagree with you on this position and head off to bed, it´s past 3am here.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: dreamingawake

You think it's that easy to avoid bullies if confident?
Sad and happy fatties? Where I grew up there was maybe one to two overweight kids in school. Guess what? They were teased no matter if happy or not being the minority.

Fair enough, from such a small sample size I can see how it would be difficult to get my point.

Through my schooling I met a heap of fatties. And the level of teasing didn't rise and fall with the belt size.

First off, calling people fatties, is not very friendly to your "cause" here. Sorry, should have clarified that before hand. While being not sure where you're from or your native language, manners helps when trying to explain your view. No, it's not being a whiny snowflake/SJW either.

You went to school with many overweight people apparently, of course, they wouldn't tease each other as much about weight due to more similar.

This is about perspective. Always good to widen yours.

Back to the bullying topic, confidence does not ward off bullies. Beautiful men and women who are confident are bullied all the time by those who are insecure about themselves. It's just not limited to society's deeming of undesirable traits. That should tell you about the bullies themselves, many lack self worth.

edit on 8-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: deeming of*

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar
It was more like the paragime "if you don´t play with me, you´re against me". Not friends. And that loops right back to the complexity of the whole thing. Certainly can´t explained away with the single "low self esteem" argument. Actually I think bullys have a great self esteem, because they always get their (false) "respect". I would put them into the sadistic section.

I'd call it narcissism over true self esteem.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

You live in Reno. This is Hug High. 'Nuff said.

For those that don't live here, this school is notorious for being the 'gangsta' high school.

edit on 8-12-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Hug isn't that bad. Hell it doesn't even hold a candle to RO Gibson MS in Las Vegas.

Truth be told, this kid had it coming. He slashed a kid on the face with that big ass knife he had and people want to find reasons to feel sorry for him and his crappy dad.

I hope the kid gets the mental health care that he needs. But with parents like his he'll probably be back in jail after killing someone.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It's a scuzzy neighborhood. I hate working around there.

I didn't grow up in Vegas so I couldn't say. The school had that reputation a long time though.

edit on 8-12-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

So with what you just said in relation to an overweight child being bullied, solutions would include moving to a fatter school or telling them to lose weight.

If I was a fatty I would find that far more offensive.

There's skinny bullies and there's overweight bullies. There's skinny cool kids and overweight cool kids. There's skinny victims and overweight victims.

What do you tell an overweight child who gets teased when there is someone larger at the school that doesn't?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
he should have tuned him up long before he felt he needed to bring a knife.
you have to stop bullies with the quickness or you will have a terrible time

i stopped mine pretty damn fast. dudes name was hector. he was tormenting me for a couple weeks and i got tired of it. he took a science book to the nose and never bothered me again

The better way to get a bully back is sneaking up on them and faceplanting them face first into the pavement and or closest wall o r desk. repeatedly.

ANyway. the Kid DIDNT DROP THE KNIFE and as such got what was coming by dragging the cop into it. I wa sbullied too. till i beat the bully half to death with a surprise attack. lets see i broke 8 ribs, broke his knee, bit his neck hard enough to require 12 or so stiches and swolled up his eyes. No one,and i mena no one even approached me after that.

Oh sure a new guy would come in,and rumor itself would sort that out for me.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
a reply to: dreamingawake

So with what you just said in relation to an overweight child being bullied, solutions would include moving to a fatter school or telling them to lose weight.

Come again? No where did I insinuate that. I didn't offer a solution. Is that what you're looking for now?

If I was a fatty I would find that far more offensive.

SMH

There's skinny bullies and there's overweight bullies. There's skinny cool kids and overweight cool kids. There's skinny victims and overweight victims.

What do you tell an overweight child who gets teased when there is someone larger at the school that doesn't?

I don't have that data from you to decipher that accordingly. What do you tell them besides the bullying needs to be dealt with accordingly by school administration and a parent meeting? As was mentioned I don't have the details to discern about this example person.

Sorry, you don't see these cases are not always the same.

Anyway, not sure you're understanding all of this or have a point. Best of luck.
edit on 8-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Prayers for the kid? How about prayers for the kid who got stabbed by this nut case. High school is full of bs, get over it and move on. I got bullied, jumped, etc and never once brought a #ing knife to school to stab someone. If he was so innocent why didn't he drop the knife when the cop got there? Nonsense.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: amazing

It's really sad. Obviously that kid snapped. That's the bottom line.

He's been painted in this thread as a hooligan/brat/whatever, but swinging knives and ignoring a police officer with a gun pointed at you is a whole other area. He snapped.

He may have been mentally I'll or had devastating ( to him) situation at home or some catastrophe. The bullying was the tipping point that put him over the edge.

That's what I'm seeing. I'd like to know more from the one poster who read his FB page and considered him a delinquent. But something definitely happened to make him go this route, very likely whatever specific threats were made to him about that day.

In the pics I've seen of him with the knives, he doesn't appear to be acting aggressively or actually threatening anyone. More like simply brandishing them -- as a warning? I don't know. I haven't watched any videos. Just seen still pics.

This is ridiculous. If someone "brandishing" a knife around as a "warning " isn't threatening or aggressive behavior wtf is?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234
a reply to: Boadicea

Prayers for the kid? How about prayers for the kid who got stabbed by this nut case.

If another kid was hurt, then prayers up for them also. Of course!!! But according to what I read, no one else was harmed. No one else was taken to the hospital.

High school is full of bs, get over it and move on.

No, thank you.

If he was so innocent why didn't he drop the knife when the cop got there? Nonsense.

No one said he was innocent. No one is arguing that he did nothing wrong. Exactly the opposite. This kid has already paid a price for his bad judgment.

The adults also need to be held responsible for what they did and did not do.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Thats the problem these days,no rational thinking and the father was some help to the kid,thats how you stand up to a bully? threaten him and others with a potentially deadly weapon,looks like the liberal parent made a choice not a good one,now his kid will pay with his life possibly,or blemish for entire life,lose lose situation,teach boys to be men not gangster boys

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Since when is it an established fact that the father gave advice to his son to use a knife? Maybe I missed that, otherwhise your post is solely based on your assumption that it was the case.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

This is ridiculous. If someone "brandishing" a knife around as a "warning " isn't threatening or aggressive behavior wtf is?

Yes, it is ridiculous, because I think you know exactly the distinction I was making. I pick up a knife in my kitchen all the time without threatening anyone with it. I bet you do too. It would be an entirely different scenario if I was gripping the knife with the blade pointed at someone as I lunged toward them.

You no doubt also noted that I made a point to say that I had only seen pics, and not videos, so my perspective was limited to those pics.

If you want to make the point that a non-aggressive position can instantly change to an aggressive posture, of course I would agree with you... and if you want to posit that when he failed to drop the knives at the officer's command that he posed a further threat, I would also agree.

But my point stands as is whether you want to recognize and acknowledge the distinction or not.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Since when is it an established fact that the father gave advice to his son to use a knife? Maybe I missed that, otherwhise your post is solely based on your assumption that it was the case.

I think that may be my fault... I commented to another poster that I had the horrible thought that maybe the dad had told him to defend himself and possibly told him to bring the knives.

It was pure speculation and I thought I made that clear. But if not, I hope I have now.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
This is just so fricking sad. And totally unnecessary. Who the hell are the adults here???

N evada student, 14, who swung a knife at his classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days before he snapped and attacked his friends'

The 14-year-old, who has been named locally as Logan Clark, was captured on camera wielding a large blade at fellow students at Procter R. Hug High School in Reno, Nevada, before refusing to put it down.

He was then shot by a school police officer after he failed to follow orders and is currently in a critical condition in a Reno hospital.

I can't fault the officer. By the time he got involved, it was too late.

Earlier, one high school freshman Robert Barragan first told the Reno Gazette-Journal that an officer shot a student in the shoulder after the teen pulled a knife and stabbed a classmate during a confrontation outside the school library.

Barragan, told the Gazette-Journal that two male students were fighting outside the school library when the campus officer shot the knife wielding teenager.

However there were no reported injuries other than to the teenager with the knife.

I can blame those school administrators who allowed it to fester and come to this. I can also fault the father to some extent, who apparently also knew and did not act on his son's behalf. From dad's FB page:

'To idiots that think Logan was wrong know he was being bullied he is not the kind to back down.

'He brought the knives because he was gonna b jumped and he was the school knew of this and failed to act.' (sic)

So what did dad do? It would seem dad "failed to act" as well.

And it sure doesn't seem to be a secret that the kid was being bullied:

One of the parents, Demick Laflamme claimed his son Demick Jr was a friend of the wounded student.

And he told the Reno-Gazette Journal that he believed that Logan had been bullied in the days leading up to the incident.

So this kid reached out for help. He didn't get it. So he did what he had to do. The survival instinct is strong in all of us... but critical thinking skills and good judgment are weak in teenagers. The adults failed him. This kid was left with no good choices. All he could do is act on instinct to protect himself... in the worst possible way... but it's all he had.

Prayers up for this boy in his recovery. Brightest blessings to the officer who is paying the price for the failure of others to act.

Shame on everyone else.

I was bullied for years (about 9 years in a row), and I never stabbed anyone with a knife.

Poor form to try to excuse this.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join