It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada student who swung knife at classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is just so fricking sad. And totally unnecessary. Who the hell are the adults here???

N evada student, 14, who swung a knife at his classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days before he snapped and attacked his friends'

The 14-year-old, who has been named locally as Logan Clark, was captured on camera wielding a large blade at fellow students at Procter R. Hug High School in Reno, Nevada, before refusing to put it down.

He was then shot by a school police officer after he failed to follow orders and is currently in a critical condition in a Reno hospital.

I can't fault the officer. By the time he got involved, it was too late.

Earlier, one high school freshman Robert Barragan first told the Reno Gazette-Journal that an officer shot a student in the shoulder after the teen pulled a knife and stabbed a classmate during a confrontation outside the school library.

Barragan, told the Gazette-Journal that two male students were fighting outside the school library when the campus officer shot the knife wielding teenager.

However there were no reported injuries other than to the teenager with the knife.

I can blame those school administrators who allowed it to fester and come to this. I can also fault the father to some extent, who apparently also knew and did not act on his son's behalf. From dad's FB page:

'To idiots that think Logan was wrong know he was being bullied he is not the kind to back down.

'He brought the knives because he was gonna b jumped and he was the school knew of this and failed to act.' (sic)

So what did dad do? It would seem dad "failed to act" as well.

And it sure doesn't seem to be a secret that the kid was being bullied:

One of the parents, Demick Laflamme claimed his son Demick Jr was a friend of the wounded student.

And he told the Reno-Gazette Journal that he believed that Logan had been bullied in the days leading up to the incident.

So this kid reached out for help. He didn't get it. So he did what he had to do. The survival instinct is strong in all of us... but critical thinking skills and good judgment are weak in teenagers. The adults failed him. This kid was left with no good choices. All he could do is act on instinct to protect himself... in the worst possible way... but it's all he had.

Prayers up for this boy in his recovery. Brightest blessings to the officer who is paying the price for the failure of others to act.

Shame on everyone else.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Ohhhh well......don't bring a knife to school!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Wrong...he didn't have to grab a knife and possibly kill someone. Look, I was bullied when I was in school and never once did I think of grabbing a knife or a weapon.

However I don't necessarily blame the kid for the action he did take. Some cases of bullying are a lot worse than others. This is easier said than done but sometimes you just take a swing, bare knuckle style. That's what I did and it connected. Never bothered me again.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Ohhhh well......don't bring a knife to school!

Um... what???

That comment only makes sense to me if the OP had blamed the officer for what happened... and it clearly doesn't. So what am I missing? Or what are you missing? Did you even read the OP?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I was a victim of serious bulling as a kid in school. Didn't resort to bringing a knife to school though. Any while my parents knew about, what are parents supposed to do? Keep their kid home from school?

Bullying while not pleasant is a reality of growing up. Learning how to deal with it and standing up for yourself(without using a knife) is also a part of growing up.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Wrong...

What exactly is wrong? That the kid had been bullied? That adults knew about it? That they did nothing? That the kid acted on instinct to protect himself?

...he didn't have to grab a knife and possibly kill someone.

Obviously. And as stated in the OP, he reacted in the "worst possible way," but as also noted, "critical thinking skills and good judgment are weak in teenagers." So yeah, it's real easy to pick on the foolish things teenagers do... but it's even more foolish to expect more and better from a teenager than from adults.

However I don't necessarily blame the kid for the action he did take. Some cases of bullying are a lot worse than others.

Which is why I didn't focus on the kid's faulty reasoning and bad choices... but rather on the adults who knew what was going on and did nothing.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
When those in a position to act are afraid to act, or cant be bothered to act you get no win situations like this one where nobody wins.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I was a victim of serious bulling as a kid in school. Didn't resort to bringing a knife to school though. Any while my parents knew about, what are parents supposed to do? Keep their kid home from school?

Bullying while not pleasant is a reality of growing up. Learning how to deal with it and standing up for yourself(without using a knife) is also a part of growing up.

Eh? They're supposed to do what family does.
My group of bullies got the scare of their #ing life when 8 of my family members showed up at the school ready to beat the everliving # out of them. Wasn't an issue after that.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

My group of bullies got the scare of their #ing life when 8 of my family members showed up at the school ready to beat the everliving # out of them. Wasn't an issue after that.

Right because im sure his dad is ready to go to jail over beating up some 15 year old punk.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Seems to me everyone involved were wrong but the villain will forever be the kid with the knife.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

What exactly is wrong? That the kid had been bullied? That adults knew about it? That they did nothing? That the kid acted on instinct to protect himself?

You said he had no other choice which that is what I was saying is wrong. He didn't have to grab a knife. It's hard to judge a kid in today's age because it's just way different then it was for me. So I won't come down to hard on the kid.
edit on 8-12-2016 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

...what are parents supposed to do? Keep their kid home from school?

If that's what it takes, then yes. But there is plenty parents -- and administrators -- could do before it gets to that point.

That's true... as far as it goes. But what about the bullying? Your comment seems to suggest that nothing should be done to stop the bullying, that those being bullied should just suck it up. The adults do have a responsibility to help kids learn how to deal with bullying (and they failed here), but ALSO to address the bullies and do what they can to stop it (and they failed here).

It's also important to point out that we don't know just what that bullying involved, and if he felt that his life and/or limb was threatened. If he did, and he had reason to believe the adults -- the authority figures in his life -- were not doing anything about it, then he may have felt weapons were necessary to protect his life.
edit on 8-12-2016 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Everyone at fault but the kid? Don´t think so. It´s a burden if you´re bullied, but taking a knife to school and wield it at classmates is taking it too far. I was always the youngest and smalles in class and on occasions bigger ones tried to bully me, due to being schooled with 5 1/2 years, when others where 7 years old. Some being 6 years old, depends on your mental level and the test results you got (being able to draw in three dimensions for example).

Still, I did not have to bring a knife to class, although it was much more common to have a knife around you back in my days (as a tool) and sometimes you´d carry a small folding blade (switzerlands knife, a multi tool) but never even thought about using it on someone else. Never saw one pulling his pocket knife on someone, too.

I´m a bit overfed on making every excuse for wrong behavior. The only one to blame are the kids. They know full well what they are doing, they just don´t care. No one can make me believe a 14 year old does not know what he´s doing when he´s bullying another one.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
lol, I give up on my previous post formatting.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zerodoublehero

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

Right because im sure his dad is ready to go to jail over beating up some 15 year old punk.

Lol, they're #ing retarded children. You don't need to actually beat them up, just scare them bad enough.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari
Seems to me everyone involved were wrong but the villain will forever be the kid with the knife.

Yup. The one least prepared to deal with it, the one with the fewest resources, and the one with the most to lose will pay the highest price.

And the adults who could have and should have done something long before it got to this point will slink off into the shadows and keep collecting their paychecks.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Ha, I hope you don´t go back to posting only

"edited by HawkeyeNation"

posts. What was up with that?? Sorry for being offtopic but I wonder every time.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Seriously, was no one else bullied in school? Administrators are supposed to know about how exactly? When I was getting beat up and my comic books taken from me, no one did anything. They couldn't. Unless they had evidence of it they couldn't discipline the bully or his parents would get upset. Also, I was bullied for years and never once thought trying to kill someone would solve anything. Then again, I guess I wasn't an idiot. Natural selection strikes again!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

You mean the parents?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
he should have tuned him up long before he felt he needed to bring a knife.
you have to stop bullies with the quickness or you will have a terrible time

i stopped mine pretty damn fast. dudes name was hector. he was tormenting me for a couple weeks and i got tired of it. he took a science book to the nose and never bothered me again

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join