It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada student who swung knife at classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Our fat cops need to work on manual take downs, and not shooting teens. He was not cooperating, if you have to kill a 14 year old to disarm him, youre a coward.

Whatever happened to shooting suckas in the leg or hand. Surprised he didnt do a doubletap to be sure the kid was dead.

I have to say, there was a similar incident when I was 13-14, but the victim was constantly bullied every year which culminated in a pencil thrust into the arm of that day's bully.

Same kid jumped off the second story balcony(open hallways in Hawaii) in a half hearted suicide attempt in front of the whole school. He landed unhurt, student body erupts into laughter, and he ran off.

God Bless you Gavin
edit on 1282016 by Butterfinger because: k

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Why are people looking for excuses for a kid that is a danger to himself and others?

I don't know of anyone making excuses for him. No one has applauded or praised his actions. We just understand the reality. And that reality includes the fact that teenagers are stupid.

That reality also includes not making excuses for the adults who not only know better and knew better, but failed to live up to their responsibility.

Perhaps we can move back to a common understanding of personal accountability and responsibility.

Indeed. As long as that "common understanding" extends to the personal accountability and responsibility of the adults who failed to do their part.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

maybe take out his real name...

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The problem is, it'd make the bullies better at kicking ass, too, if the schools put them on for all of the students (another catch-22).

I'm glad that you appreciated the comment. I don't really have the answer, as bullies will always be around, "wimps" who are unwilling to fight back will always be around, and so will good and bad school administrators and parents, too. But I do think that we could minimize this issue if we could just get parents involved with their children again. How that's going to happen, I have zero idea.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
i was bullied off an on in school. I changed schools every 2 or 3 years so i was always the new kid....that didnt help. In 8th grade i went to a very dark place where i was ready to kill. I was seeing a girl who had a jealous ex boyfriend. He said he would show up at the school dance and beat me down. I was mentally ready and would have done whatever I needed to to put the issue to rest for good one way or another. His friends who were still students at the school saw my demeanor and knew it was going to be bad if he showed up. My adrenaline was so high i had to go outside in the rain and run laps. He never showed and I got invited to the principles office to talk about it. I went home and nothing ever came up again. Maybe someone tipped him off, i have no idea...but after that no one messed with me.

Public schools are a joke. I cannot truthfully say i had a single worthwhile scholastic experience in any public school growing up. When i switched to christian schools things improved vastly...probably owing to the better teacher/student ratio and more focus on actual education rather than glorified babysitting.

When things like this happen the failure sits squarely on the adults. Humans dont have fully developed frontal lobes until their 20s.....so actually if we were really going to structure society around real science and biological understanding we wouldnt even allow kids to join the military and die. Nevertheless, we are not as sophisticated as we think we are.....we are not as enlightened or evolved as we think we are. As long as we are sacrificing children to the gods of ignorance, neglect, and apathy we are no better than the mayans who happily cut out their hearts on the tops of pyramids. Our children might be biologically alive.....but the system is designed to kill us spiritually, creatively, and in every other way that truly matters.

So sad for this boy and his family. [/quote

This!!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Mine was stelio cantos. He always carried around a boombox that sang stelio, stelio cantos. Terrifying times indeed. Or an American dad episode.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I was a victim of serious bulling as a kid in school. Didn't resort to bringing a knife to school though. Any while my parents knew about, what are parents supposed to do? Keep their kid home from school?

Bullying while not pleasant is a reality of growing up. Learning how to deal with it and standing up for yourself(without using a knife) is also a part of growing up.

There are ways for a parent to respond that is effective without resorting to withdrawing the child from school. If those methods are not working, then IMO the situation does merit withdrawing the child. That is a parent's job, to protect their child.

I was bullied in school. This was back in the 70's, when parents and teachers seemed to still be able to work together for the child's best interests. My parents eventually found out because I started to show signs of stress. My father went to the school principal. He didn't make a big scene. He just laid out the facts about what was happening. The next day, the principal walked into my classroom. He let the students know that he was aware of what was happening and made it very clear that if it continued, he would expel everyone involved. It stopped immediately. I was looked at as a 'snitch' but quite frankly at that point the kids were afraid to retaliate for my 'snitching'.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

The problem is, it'd make the bullies better at kicking ass, too, if the schools put them on for all of the students (another catch-22).

You may be right about that. My thought is that bullies tend to take the path of least resistance. They don't want to really work for it. That's why they pick the easiest marks. If they knew they'd have to step up their game and actually work for it, I don't think they'd be so inclined to bully. And they'd also have to consider that the friends of whoever they bully would also have a few moves and be more likely to step up rather than run away.

I'm glad that you appreciated the comment. I don't really have the answer, as bullies will always be around, "wimps" who are unwilling to fight back will always be around, and so will good and bad school administrators and parents, too. But I do think that we could minimize this issue if we could just get parents involved with their children again. How that's going to happen, I have zero idea.

I'd love to see parents more involved with their kids' education. But it seems educators don't want parents involved. At least that's what I'm hearing. It's more like, "We're the professionals -- shut up and go away." And parents are so busy just trying to keep their heads above water, they do. (In addition to the reasons who mentioned earlier.)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles
...and Louise! Could not resist.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: UKTruth
Why are people looking for excuses for a kid that is a danger to himself and others?

I don't know of anyone making excuses for him. No one has applauded or praised his actions. We just understand the reality. And that reality includes the fact that teenagers are stupid.

That reality also includes not making excuses for the adults who not only know better and knew better, but failed to live up to their responsibility.

Perhaps we can move back to a common understanding of personal accountability and responsibility.

Indeed. As long as that "common understanding" extends to the personal accountability and responsibility of the adults who failed to do their part.

Exactly, well said. It should have never amounted to what it did, the adults didn't seem to be in control here.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Kids who are bullied are bullied for a reason!

Did he bring the knife because he was bullied or was he bullied because he was the type of person who would bring a knife to school.

Really, going to go that route? Good go, blame the victims. That just perpetuates this behavior.

Ps. Not talking about this kid in full relation to them as he did attack them with a weapon.
edit on 8-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

It's about looking at the issue honestly.
Unless you believe that everyone who has ever been bullied is up there with Ghandi.

If anything this case clearly shows that it's people lacking in social skills who are bullied.

Perhaps on a broader subject that's part of the SJW mentality, claim victimhood and you can be absolved of all responsibility.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm not sure you can address bullying without looking at the basics.

The bullied have poor social skills, that's why the bullies use them to boost their low self esteem.

Both sides are people with shortfalls that we could address if were allowed to be honest.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I was a victim of serious bulling as a kid in school. Didn't resort to bringing a knife to school though. Any while my parents knew about, what are parents supposed to do? Keep their kid home from school?

Bullying while not pleasant is a reality of growing up. Learning how to deal with it and standing up for yourself(without using a knife) is also a part of growing up.

Kids these days are weak. Everyone I know got bullied at some point. It is part of growing up. You learned to have thick skin and sooner or later you would have to stand up for yourself and fight.

Never once did I think getting a knife or some other weapon was called for. You just knuckle up and fight it out. In most cases, just even attempt to fight back is enough to stop a bully even if you do get your ass kicked.
edit on 8-12-2016 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Knowing this side of town..sounds like he probably brought a knife to a knife fight.

If he said he was afraid of getting jumped, I believe it.

Still very sad anybody has to bring weapons to school; I doubt he was the only one in this scenario.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Sometimes it´s enough if you´re the youngest and a kind guy in general. The rest is group thinking until someone get´s the bloody nose applied by the "victim". Normally it stops then.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Knowing this side of town..sounds like he probably brought a knife to a knife fight.

That's what I was afraid of. There was a reason he made the decision to go this route.

If he said he was afraid of getting jumped, I believe it.

That may just be part of what the bullies threatened -- maybe even not the worst of what all they threatened. We just don't know yet.

Still very sad anybody has to bring weapons to school; I doubt he was the only one in this scenario.

Yes, it is. If the adults in the room did anything to try to address this sooner, I'd really like to know what. And when.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Adults at this level of education ignore bullying. Just remembering my HS days.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Do you think bullies are working out the ages then working out the kindness level before they choose a target?

The hardest thing about the bullied is they lack the social skills to understand why they are bullied, so it continues.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
a reply to: dreamingawake

It's about looking at the issue honestly.
Unless you believe that everyone who has ever been bullied is up there with Ghandi.

If anything this case clearly shows that it's people lacking in social skills who are bullied.

Perhaps on a broader subject that's part of the SJW mentality, claim victimhood and you can be absolved of all responsibility.

Yes, honestly and take into account many facets of it. Yes, there are children that act out, enjoy negative attention, etc, not denying that but the overall issue more are being bullied due to lacking is social skills or what a said bully sees as weakness(glasses, overweight, ugly, nerd, freak, etc). Being that they are prime targets because bullies feel they won't fight back as well as them being easy targets.

And labeling a SJW label into this can give way for absolving responsibly as well. There has to be a balance with this newfound stereotype.

If the person lacking social skills due to social anxiety disorder, sheltered young life, Autism, and or what have you, it is somehow their fault?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join