It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada student who swung knife at classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: pompel9

Poor form to try to excuse this.

Yes, it is poor form to excuse any bad behavior.

But I'm not excusing anyone. Not the kid who is now paying the price for his bad judgment... and not the adults who allowed this situation to fester and get to this point.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
a reply to: dreamingawake

So with what you just said in relation to an overweight child being bullied, solutions would include moving to a fatter school or telling them to lose weight.

If I was a fatty I would find that far more offensive.

There's skinny bullies and there's overweight bullies. There's skinny cool kids and overweight cool kids. There's skinny victims and overweight victims.

What do you tell an overweight child who gets teased when there is someone larger at the school that doesn't?

Actually a better solution is to restrict talking to anyone but a teacher or in a class environment. No talking in the halls. no talking on the bus. No talking period i fits not about learning. School needs to be for learning not fun.
Punishments need to be harsh too. you talk you get kicked out a week,and your parents fined 1000 bucks.(can be called a teaching expense)
I suspect that will stop almost all bullying by removing the ones who actually want to learn from those who dont.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa
That´s a nonsensical idea, do you have an idea how many parents will get into debt because of this? Do you have kids?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
That´s a nonsensical idea, do you have an idea how many parents will get into debt because of this? Do you have kids?

Its not nonsense. And Do you know how many parents will wear their kids butts out and make them behave because of this? If you want to stop all bullying,and horseplay you have to be harsh. The stipulations could me modified im just giving a starting point. As a person who just wanted to learn i always kept to myself and didnt speak outside class.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Come again? No where did I insinuate that. I didn't offer a solution. Is that what you're looking for now?

Your explanation for why I've seen plenty of overweight people not being teased was because there was more overweight people at the schools I went to. Based on that logic going to a school with more overweight people would be better for an overweight child.

I don't have that data from you to decipher that accordingly. What do you tell them besides the bullying needs to be dealt with accordingly by school administration and a parent meeting? As was mentioned I don't have the details to discern about this example person.

There wasn't much data to decipher. If an overweight child is teased and an even more overweight child isn't then it has to be clear that the weight isn't the main issue.

There's no question that the bully is 100% wrong in all cases.
I just think there's value in trying to understand why people are targets and it's an oversimplification to say it's due to appearance.
edit on 9-12-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

It's my experience that the type of kid who's willing to bring a knife to school is NOT the type of kid who gets bullied. Those are the kids who either get completely left alone, or who find an entourage.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I say this with all the love and respect I can muster. That is the single dumbest idea I've ever heard. My apologies for being so harsh, but it's really the worst thought I've ever heard in all my years on this earth.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
In Europe a police officer would easily disarm a 14 year old, pathetic.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Ohhhh well......don't bring a knife to school!

that's your glorious waste of space answer? You're part of the problem here as well with your casual oh well.. This is a serious issue, bullying. Wouldn't you think? Some kid just recently killed himself in my town from being bullied, and others knew about it. This is a huge problem, that should not be ignored. It is all our responsibility to make sure kids are taught how to treat others, and consequences of their actions. I may be going out on a limb with this, but with an answer like that, you've probably never been bullied, or were the bully, and I'm probably not too far off. But I'm sure you'll fire back with something smart ass, and how I'm wrong. Whatever............

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Here is the problem...if you attempt to help and things go bad you can get sued into poverty or maybe killed. Brandishing is just that, no one was harmed to the point where the boy was shot. What ever happened to negotiation. There isn't some mythical time deadline that makes it impossible to use negotiation to resolve a situation where no one has been hurt and an officer has the perp covered with a gun. We have to put a stop to the shoot now ask questions later mentality.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

So with what you just said in relation to an overweight child being bullied, solutions would include moving to a fatter school or telling them to lose weight.

There's skinny bullies and there's overweight bullies. There's skinny cool kids and overweight cool kids. There's skinny victims and overweight victims.

What do you tell an overweight child who gets teased when there is someone larger at the school that doesn't?

Actually a better solution is to restrict talking to anyone but a teacher or in a class environment. No talking in the halls. no talking on the bus. No talking period i fits not about learning. School needs to be for learning not fun.
Punishments need to be harsh too. you talk you get kicked out a week,and your parents fined 1000 bucks.(can be called a teaching expense)
I suspect that will stop almost all bullying by removing the ones who actually want to learn from those who dont.

Do you realize how not smart this sounds? Just saying.............

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Do you realize how not smart this sounds? Just saying.............

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well i was bullied too, and i stabbed them with a pen.

Also they had Knifes, and sometimes they would bring them in school (Switch blades. No one really cares here)

The important thing is : This kid had all the right to do, what he did. You all want guns to protect yourselves, well this kid had a knife to protect himself.

Was the guard wrong that he shot the kid ? Yes , he was damn wrong. Can't deal with 14 years old kid with a knife. This guy should probabbly go to jail.

For the bullies, were they wrong? Well if the bullies know he can stab them, they will stop. Besides, bullies like to hurt others, so does it really matter when they are hurt?

I think the kid was right, and everyone here is wrong.

I have been in the place of the kid, and i have done almost the same (I mean, really, sometimes you need a weapon to defend yourself) And i stopped being bullied. Actually things were pretty great from then on, and i was even invited to parties

P.S. All of you who were bullied, and said you have done nothing like this and you would never do it : Well if you have done it you would not be bullied anymore. Bullies understand only if you go all out, just so they to realise this is not a game and fun, but something real with real consequences (for them)
edit on 9-12-2016 by ZeroFurrbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Wrong...he didn't have to grab a knife and possibly kill someone. Look, I was bullied when I was in school and never once did I think of grabbing a knife or a weapon.

However I don't necessarily blame the kid for the action he did take. Some cases of bullying are a lot worse than others. This is easier said than done but sometimes you just take a swing, bare knuckle style. That's what I did and it connected. Never bothered me again.

You can't just come right out of the box and say "Wrong!" when you have no clue of the story behind this. Bravo for your experience, I guess for not EVER thinking to grab a weapon to defend yourself...... Like you said, it's case by case, and do you know everything about this case? Maybe these kids threatened his life? To the point where this kid took it serious this time? If he felt his life was threatened, and this was his last and only option, then no he's not wrong. So quick to judge when you don't have all the facts...... Sad really.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Exactly, just beat the # out of the kids, because that´s how they learn. That´s how they learn to pass violence.

You did not even adress the debt problem, for you it´s simple I see.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tmeister182
Here is the problem...if you attempt to help and things go bad you can get sued into poverty or maybe killed. Brandishing is just that, no one was harmed to the point where the boy was shot. What ever happened to negotiation. There isn't some mythical time deadline that makes it impossible to use negotiation to resolve a situation where no one has been hurt and an officer has the perp covered with a gun. We have to put a stop to the shoot now ask questions later mentality.

I agree with you. Totally and completely.

But I think it's important to point out that this is how officers are being trained to respond, because the courts have lowered the bar to say that they just have to "believe" that someone "might" be a threat. Officers no longer have to wait until someone is actually a threat. In fact, there was a case not long ago where a cop didn't shoot first and ask questions later and was reamed for putting other officers in danger by not shooting someone.

This does have to stop.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

The important thing is : This kid had all the right to do, what he did. You all want guns to protect yourselves, well this kid had a knife to protect himself.

You're right. Everyone has the right to defend and protect themselves. But that right is being systematically denied by the adults in charge, who won't let kids defend themselves -- and then refuse to protect them.

I think that's a big part of the problem here and why it came to this.

Was the guard wrong that he shot the kid ? Yes , he was damn wrong. Can't deal with 14 years old kid with a knife. This guy should probabbly go to jail.

Unfortunately, while I agree with you, this is exactly what the officer was trained to do. It's not just this officer or this department. This is what's happening right now all across the nation. We the people deserve better; but so do our LEOs.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is sad, the kid gets pushed to the edge until he snaps, and then he gets shot over it. So tragic.

I know how he feels... Sometimes on ATS you will get bullied over your comments, and when you end up snapping back and disobeying the T&C, the admins come and punish you. It sucks.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I feel very sorry that things happened this way, and parents should always be an advocate for their children.

That being said, it does not excuse the impulse to take a weapon to school and act out violently.

If you believe as a kid you are going to be attacked, you go to the adults. You do not try to take matters in to your own hands.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
This is sad, the kid gets pushed to the edge until he snaps, and then he gets shot over it. So tragic.

I know how he feels... Sometimes on ATS you will get bullied over your comments, and when you end up snapping back and disobeying the T&C, the admins come and punish you. It sucks.

Dude, that's when you step off and leave it for a while. There are posters here who will purposefully try to push you to that point.

You just back down and go do something in Realsville for a while, then come back when you feel better.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join