It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada student who swung knife at classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Rewording reply.
edit on 8-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Kids who are bullied are bullied for a reason!

Buddhists believe this was past karma. Something done in a previous life.

Unfortunately, finding the true source and cause of these things is practically impossible.

Accept that it happens, and shake your head.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

They think they're being attacked because they are young and kind.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: Boadicea

Adults at this level of education ignore bullying. Just remembering my HS days.

That's really pathetic -- but explains much.

In my day, we didn't have bullying like this. There were the occasional fights, but usually off campus and after school -- "Meet me in the alley" or something. Pretty much everyone had a knife which was held by friends during the fight. There was a certain code of honor for fair fighting. Of course, sometimes one of them just chickened out and didn't show up and was ridiculed forever!

In worst case scenarios though -- and there were a few -- kids were also kicked out and expelled if they couldn't act right. Sometimes the school would get a restraining order so the kid couldn't come back without being arrested.

I don't know. It was all much different back then. I guess that doesn't fly these days.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I live in Reno. Been watching the dads Facebook page.

Went to the kids Facebook page.

The evidence points to this dad being a crap parent and the kid being a little delinquent.

If you don't wanna get shot by cops don't pull a knife on fellow students. The "bullying" crap is something the dad made up for sympathy points. He knows when his crappy kid gets out of the hospital he's going to jail.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Do you think bullies are working out the ages then working out the kindness level before they choose a target?

No, not in that sense, they go for what they perceive as the weakest one in my experience. Perception and reality sometimes differ. In my case, I was the youngest, smallest and weakest. Although I did fight back, it did change zero because I was without chance. Until the point, where survival kicked in, the point where you´re able to lift away three people laying on you and bust some faces in.

It´s not your black and white, it´s difficult. I would not reduce it to the level you do.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Kids who are bullied are bullied for a reason!

Buddhists believe this was past karma. Something done in a previous life.

Unfortunately, finding the true source and cause of these things is practically impossible.

Accept that it happens, and shake your head.

It's practically impossible to miss the true source.

Show me a bully with high self esteem or someone who is bullied with high social skills.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I live in Reno. Been watching the dads Facebook page.

Went to the kids Facebook page.

The evidence points to this dad being a crap parent...

That doesn't surprise me.

...and the kid being a little delinquent.

That wouldn't surprise me either. But can you expand on that? How so?

If you don't wanna get shot by cops don't pull a knife on fellow students.

Very true. Can't blame the officer at all here.

The "bullying" crap is something the dad made up for sympathy points.

Why do you say that? Another father and students were quoted as saying they were aware of the bullying. If it was made up, then it went a lot farther than just the dad.

He knows when his crappy kid gets out of the hospital he's going to jail.

I think we all know that. Or expect that at least. But sometimes I'm amazed at what some people get away with...

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Define social skills. Social skills do nothing if you meet a real sadistic bully. I come to think you don´t know what you´re talking about.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
It´s not your black and white, it´s difficult. I would not reduce it to the level you do.

There have been younger, smaller and weaker people than you who weren't bullied.

Are you telling me that in hindsight there is nothing you could have done to stop the bullying?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Not in my class. To answer your question: no I´m not telling you that. What I told you is written down and I invite you to read it again, until you understand.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Define social skills. Social skills do nothing if you meet a real sadistic bully. I come to think you don´t know what you´re talking about.

Bullies have low self esteem. Someone who is confident in their own skin will not be a target as it exposes the bullies.

That's why sad fatties get teased, and happy fatties don't.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

If I tell you I was a happy "thinnie" but apparently there was some issue between our fathers and the kid thought it´s cool to preserve tradition, would that shatter your theory?

See, your binary thought system won´t work here, but I told you that upfront.
edit on 8-12-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Bullies have low self esteem. Someone who is confident in their own skin will not be a target as it exposes the bullies.

That's why sad fatties get teased, and happy fatties don't.

You think it's that easy to avoid bullies if confident?
Sad and happy fatties? Where I grew up there was maybe one to two overweight kids in school. Guess what? They were teased no matter if happy or not being the minority.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It's really sad. Obviously that kid snapped. That's the bottom line.

He's been painted in this thread as a hooligan/brat/whatever, but swinging knives and ignoring a police officer with a gun pointed at you is a whole other area. He snapped.

He may have been mentally I'll or had devastating ( to him) situation at home or some catastrophe. The bullying was the tipping point that put him over the edge.

It's parenting. You have to watch for the signs, generally meaning, eratic behavior or acting outside of the norm. You have to talk to your kids, and let them know you'll be there no matter what for them and you have to listen to them.

Back to Bullying. I have young, below average size boys in the school system. They don't get bullied. One reason is we do things to build up their self esteem, and the other is that they've been taking martial arts/including JiuJitsu and hard stand up sparring, for 4 years or so.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I was normally not a target of bullying until i got to a school and 1 person decided to single me out (most likely to enhance his own social position) most kids were black and to a lesser extend white or hispanic , he was black. I on the other hand was of mixed race and i got singled out by him for that. After being surrounded by him and about 6 of his buddies one day and having my white mother insulted to no end and my father being made out to be a traitor for being with a white woman it only got worse. Probably because i did not violently defended myself and my parents in response to the personal insults. This turned into being beaten up by that group a few times and i had a hard time bringing up the courage to stand up to a group like that, 6 people is pretty sizeable and the knowledge that you will run into them every day is pretty prohibiting. This went on for most part of the year.

Not once did i bring a knife or a gun to school. Thee only thing i did was think about beating up the leader of that group one day. I knew this would be enough but somehow it was hard to get me to do so. The fear of getting into trouble at home or at school also played a part. Until one day i beat the living daylights out of the pack leader in front of his buddies. It ended right there.

Now this kid gets bullied for a few days. Im sorry but i cant muster up to much sympathy for that. That happens. Sometimes in school you get a breakup with your usual group of friends over something and for about a week some of them "bully" you a bit. Actually being bullied like systematically being bullied is not done in a couple of days, weeks and months at the least not a couple of days. If you cant handle a little bit of heat like that then be prepared to fear life for the rest of your life and not learn a damn thing in the process.

I noticed that when a police officer arrived he still refused to lay his knife down. If he was this afraid of the world around him already then maybe his parents should have taught him that actual safe spaces do not exist. He would have more likely been in less of a shock about it.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoThu, 08 Dec 2016 17:58:48 -060016201612America/Chicago by everyone because: SPELLING

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Nations bully nations, and go to war.

The US Bullied Japan, cut off their oil supply, and Japan bombed Pearl Harbor as a result, then the US dropped the Atomic Bomb in retaliation for that response...and on and on...

You can't tell a kid not to bring a weapon to school to protect himself against bullies, when the whole world is doing this on the grand scale.

The right actions start at the top.

Don't blame kids, when the President is promising to build up the military so that the Nation can do more of the same.

you need to go back to school and retake history, cause it's p[lain you have no idea about what was going on back then.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter
That wouldn't shatter it at all.

It shows that your size and kindness were irrelevant doesn't it?

But you did mention instances where more than 1 person was involved so the daddy issues can't be the only reason.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh yes it would. It shows that you´re not reading accurately. It also shows that self esteem was irrelevant, doesn´t it? Yes I did mention instances with more than one person. Does it come to your mind, that one person can rile up others against one?

Seriously, extend your horizon a bit.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Would a taser or nearly anything else be more appropriate?

Why aren't school officers armed to the teeth with non-lethal alternatives? He just shot him? Wtf?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join