It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I guess I never really thought this sort of dynamic all the way through, but isn't it the job of the Federal Government to ensure free speech and a free exchange of ideas (in public schools in particular)? Where would this sort of situation fit into that?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

"I've tried to learn from my first time round mistakes".

That is amazing grammar. I see you don't take book learning lightly.

Reading only increases comprehension skills. Letting your grandchild read these books will only benifit them if they decide to take the sat/act.

This will be their only chance to deny ignorance. A high test score and freedom from an oppressive home environment.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I hope this mother doesn't go through their child's music list on their Ipad.
She might have a heart attack.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
The banning of books makes me sick. The idea that a parent wants to teach children a false past or narrative makes me sick.

me too. i cant believe we are on the tip of 2017 and the banning of books is still being discussed. that is terrible.

i cant get over some of the comments made by a few people here.

modified classics??? i mean what the hell is that. if it is modified then it is not the classic book. that is terrible.

it seems that people get hung up on certain words and not the context of the word or the book as a whole

to kill a mockingbird does not promote racism in any way at all.
bet your ass half the parents on board with banning any book probably has not read more than a dozen in their lifetime. i would bet big money on that.
i feel bad for the kids that will miss out and grow up with skewed opinions no doubt like their parental units have

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Deny ignorance!!!

But only when it suits my needs.

link   

a reply to: Annee

"I've tried to learn from my first time round mistakes".

That is amazing grammar. I see you don't take book learning lightly.

^^^^i just got done saying it

i will say it again

i bet a great deal of the parents that are ok with banning books probably have read less than a dozen in their life.
terrible

link   
II think the correct term is "Helicopter Parent" Lol. Sheltering kids is a HUGE mistake.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Deny ignorance!!!

But only when it suits my needs.

i bet little ole billy bob johnny is allowed to read the bible all he wants

wait till they are in high school and they come across something like *gasp* satire
how will their little brains handle such a thing

edit on 4-12-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

A Virginia high school has banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” because they use racial slurs.

They've banned it you say? See, this is why fact checking is important

School district weighs ban of ‘Mockingbird,’ ‘Huckleberry Finn’ after complaint

A Virginia school district has pulled copies of “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” from classrooms and libraries while it weighs whether it should permanently ban the American classics because of the books’ use of racial slurs.

In response to a formal complaint from a parent, Accomack County Public Schools Superintendent Chris Holland said the district has appointed a committee to recommend whether the books should remain in the curriculum and stay in school libraries. District policy calls for the formation of the committee — which can include a principal, teachers and parents — when a parent formally files a complaint.

I fear for history. I fear for literature. For free expression.

Yeah...they're going to discuss it. Because a parent made a formal complaint

Maybe save the histrionics for when it actually happens. You can whine about the fall of Western Civilization then - and I'll even join you

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
list of banned or challenged books from 2015

www.ala.org...

the color purple
gone with the wind
slaughterhouse five

lots of others

shame

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

they pulled them...as in a temp ban
as in they are banned for now and may stay banned in the future

so whats your problem

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Pandaram
If is it offending, it should go.. this is not 1960 when racism is ok in America. Kids are stupid and use this words like its normal to use. Just like in the stupid book.

Isnt it isis flaqs are offencive to some btw?

I agree with you.

Kids are very impressionable.

They do not need this kind of stuff in their reading material.

The books can be modernized.

That's what Hitler said to when he started burning books the third riech considered offensive. To take away classic literature means childen won't understand the foundations of history. You just can't change history or novels for that matter. You remove classics from education and students lose out on an understanding and foundations that created society.

Look at any literature and someone can be offended doesnt matter if it's the tale of two cities the great gatsby or shakespere. Literature captures the essence of the time it was written wrighting a book that happened in the south and have the slave owner call them African amarican is beyond upsurd. If you feel your children don't need to be exposed to the great writers in the world that's your choice. Just bear in mind that shielding children from the truth is the dame as lying to them. I choose my children to learn and understand the world around them and how it came to be.

Restricting books because it hurts your sensibilities is probably the most reprehensible thing mankind can do. Who decides what's acceptable and where does it end?? Is medical text on abortions ok? Im sure if some were in charge it wouldn't be. And hiding reality from children will cost them dearly one can never truly understand the world around them If it's hidden from them. I truly feel sorry for any kids you have or may have your hurting there education at the expense of your feelings.

I couldn't imagine a life without Hemingway ,shakespere,stienbeck or lee. And banning these literary giants is probaby the biggest threat to are society since the invention of the a bomb.
edit on 12/4/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Pulled is not banned. My problem is that the OP is saying they are banned

They're not yet. Discussion pending

What's your problem? Its not the discussion you want to have until they are formally banned from the school?

I know - its hard to wait

:-)

edit on 12/4/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jjsr420

You're right. I don't know why schools don't include Delta of Venus by Anais Nin. Yes, it's a group of hardcore erotica stories, and yes, it includes a story about a father raping his daughters AND his son, but why shelter kids from that? After all, it is considered classic literature.

www.barnesandnoble.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Pulled is not banned. My problem is that the OP is saying they are banned

They're not yet. Discussion pending

What's your problem? Its not the discussion you want to have until they are formally banned from the school?

I know - its hard to wait

:-)

argue the finer points all you want.
they pulled the books. as in kids can not read them. as in they are banned right now at this point. then they have their special committee coming to see if it will be a permanent ban
my problem is the books have been pulled and of course it is not the discussion i want to have.
the discussion i want to have is no discussion. the books should be available and if a certain parent does not want their kid reading a certain book then that parent can make sure their kid does not read it.
why should they be banned for all? it should not even be a thought let alone a discussion

i dont want people like anne basically deciding what my child can read because that is what a banning is.
some parent makes a complain cause their kid should not read it and now it is possible that no kids can read them

shouldnt be that way

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You do what you want for your kid. I'll do what I want for mine.

So now you are changing your tune? The dirty books are okay for all school age children?

What?

How'd you get that out of what I said?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Reading only increases comprehension skills. Letting your grandchild read these books will only benifit them if they decide to take the sat/act.

The kid taught himself phonetics at age 3.

His reading comprehension is just fine, without the need to read outdated and inappropriate references.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

What?

How'd you get that out of what I said?

Because you first said this:

Anyway, I have changed my mind on this because of personal experience.

I now support "modified Classics" for school age children. Probably even through high school.

Kids are very impressionable.

They do not need this kind of stuff in their reading material.

The books can be modernized.

Banning the original classics with their inappropriate wordings from a era gone by - - - is the right thing to do.

All of those statement are pro-banning of books for all children. Then you said this:

You do what you want for your kid. I'll do what I want for mine.

So which is it?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I will argue the finer points

If you can't understand that this is up for discussion - there's really not much more anyone can say

Sometimes in this country people complain about stuff. Then people talk about it. Then it gets resolved. Not always the way we want

If they ban these books from public schools in Virginia - then you'll really have something to bitch about. Until then, seems like you want to hang somebody (ahem) now - you're not really all that concerned about the trial. Facts matter. This is a story in progress

Like I told the OP - if they actually do ban the books - I'll be as pissed as anyone

Hasn't happened yet
edit on 12/4/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, if the kids and parents want to continue broad-spectrum education inlieu of state sanctioned indoctrination, they can read those 2 books for free online, until they ban the internet that is........

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee - free pdf
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain - free pdf

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join