It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: kaylaluv

*whew*

So it's okay if they only ban books in public schools.

You could say the school decided not to include it in their curriculum. Lots of classics don't make it into the curriculum - there are literally hundreds of classics out there. Some make the cut, some don't.

But no, lets use the incendiary "BAN" word - as that fits the propaganda agenda much better and gets everyone riled up.

You could say it that way, but it would be a lie.

Just like modified classics aren't classics.

Words matter.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

There is nothing new about this, unfortunately.

Nor are these two books unusual in this.

I've never understood it myself, I read these book as a child, and as a so-called adult...

There is much to be learned from these books, to ban them is short sighted in the extreme.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

For HER children.

Wrong.

For ALL children:

originally posted by: Annee
I now support "modified Classics" for school age children. Probably even through high school.

You do what you want for your kid. I'll do what I want for mine.

Mine being my youngest grandkid.

I'm on like 3rd generation of kid raising. I helped raise my 24 year old grandson too.

I've tried to learn from my first time around mistakes.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Nor are these two books unusual in this.

I am surprised the dingus in the article did not want to ban A Catcher in the Rye since that one comes up frequently too.

That one has bad words in it too. And stuff about sex.

Ehrmagerd. The children!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
First, I am totally against removing Huck Finn or To Kill a Mocking Bird from a high school. These are literary classics, important works of American fiction that provide snapshots of American history. Removing these books from a high school because they contain racial epithets is asinine white washing. By high school, kids should be able to appreciate context and if they can't, that's a problem in of itself.

That said, a number of you who are exploding with butthurt all over the place just voted for the guy who was blabbering about how schools need to be "more local" and that the Dept Ed needs to be gutted. The same guy who chose for Ed Sec a woman who advocates dismantling the very organization she's been tapped to lead. That woman being a billionairess alumni of a religious college who sends her children to a private religious school where it's reasonable to assume that things like evolution aren't being taught and creationism is.

You don't want any sort of academic standards (CC). You want all decisions made exclusively at the level of the individual school or district but you're outraged when a school that none of your children attend, in a district in which none of you live, makes a decision that you don't agree with.

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry. Are you effing kidding me? If the school was pushing ID, banning evolution, not denying global warming, banning any education about world religions in a social sciences classroom, etc — how many of you would be cheering instead?

You know who you are. You're the folks who blabber impotently about freedom of speech and are the first to applaud the idea of locking up people for burning a flag. How many are only upset because the books are being removed for racial epithets? Because that's really the only speech you gaf about protecting.

Insufferable whiny hypocrites. You would be the whining snowflake in the story if the books were ones you didn't approve of.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Yes, he was.

...and the incredible thing is that we keep trying to repeat the same damned mistakes, over and over, again.

Never underestimate the stupidity of humans, we'll prove us wrong every time.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
You do what you want for your kid. I'll do what I want for mine.

So now you are changing your tune? The dirty books are okay for all school age children?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Actually, the district hasn't made the final decision yet on whether to pull the books permanently.

What's funny is, I bet if the school had the kids read a book that was extremely favorable to transgender people or homosexuals, many of the people on this thread would be outraged. "Don't be teaching my kid that sh*t's normal!"
edit on 4-12-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Don't forget the most recent popular one to ban...

Little ol' Harry Potter... 'cause witchcraft!!!

Burn the witch!!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think you'd be surprised how many wouldn't.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

What's funny is, I bet if the school had the kids read a book that was extremely favorable to transgender people or homosexuals, many of the people on this thread would be outraged. "Don't be teaching my kid that sh*t's normal!"

What? Like Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass or Tennyson's In Memoriam?

Read those in school too.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Personally, I have always felt these classic books allowed me the opportunity to discuss history and how mankind has progressed beyond those times. Trying to discuss such subjects with children otherwise is foolishness since you have no real foundation to get their attention. I, certainly, would not want my children nor grandchildren to end up repeating history due their ignorance. The blame lies not on them...but parents trying to over-protect them from the truth. Leaving them ignorant will be far more damaging for them when they are faced with the truth.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Don't forget the most recent popular one to ban...

Little ol' Harry Potter... 'cause witchcraft!!!

Burn the witch!!

I have to be completely honest, ever since Holy Grail I have taken a perverse pleasure in witch burning.

Ban Monty Python!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yes, I would be shocked, because I have already heard it a hundred times on this site.

"I don't want the school teaching my kid that being homosexual is okay/normal."

"The school has no business exposing my kid to that kind of stuff."

"I already get it shoved down my throat, I don't want it shoved down my kid's throat."

Every parent has their own line in the sand for their kid. The problem with public schools is that they have to deal with all of them.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Funny. This mother is concerned about a couple books in the library, but I wonder how much attention she pays to the music her kids listen to or the content they view on their smart devices.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What? Like Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass or Tennyson's In Memoriam?

Read those in school too.

Way to go snitch! Give it a week and half the people butthurt in this thread will be in another thread butthurt and demanding the banning of those books.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Ruh-roh. Sorry, Shaggy.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The banning of books makes me sick. The idea that a parent wants to teach children a false past or narrative makes me sick. I have met Brian Stevenson many times. MR Stevenson runs EJI out of Alabama. The equal justice initiative is comparable to that of banned books. There are no slave markers for the hanged in the south. We only memorialize the civil war but not that of our horrific past slavery. EJI is building the first monument to lynching in Birmingham, AL. If we forget our past we will repeat it. Books are our link to the past. The verbiage used in those books has a purpose. Mark train is a national treasure.

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
You don't want any sort of academic standards (CC). You want all decisions made exclusively at the level of the individual school or district but you're outraged when a school that none of your children attend, in a district in which none of you live, makes a decision that you don't agree with.

Too chez!

But is it "conservative" to have free speech and the like?

The issue here is the banning of free speech / promotion of 'book burning'.

You almost had me going there for a moment though!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Right. Like when overprotective Christian's shelter their kids to insanity levels, constricting them, keeping them blind to the realities of the world, and then they hit puberty and find that moment of liberation and run amok whoring and drug abusing and then its the parents in for the shockfully rude awakening.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join