It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Magazine, I'm taking you back!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
So I've been getting sappy "breakup" letters in the mail every month for a while now. It's Mad Magazine asking me to re-subscribe. My subscription expired months ago, but they still send the letters haha.

They come off as a jilted lover desperate for another chance.

I first discovered MAD when I was a cancer patient. I was about 13 years old and the only thing to keep me from going nuts while hospitalized was my monthly Madness. I used to pluck them from the hospital gift shop.

I kept the tradition for the 2-3 year fight. Had a stack of Mads to come home with and started subscribing. I'd always buy the 3 year subscriptions. Since Mad changed their formats in the last couple of years going from monthly, to quarterly, and now I think it's every 2 months?--well my 3 year subscription ended up lasting a lot longer due to the weird adjustments they were doing.

I even wrote in to complain that I was still getting issues that I hadn't paid for in years haha. Sadly, they did not publish the letter!

One of the things I really appreciate about Mad is that they cram jokes into every inch possible (as I discovered in their breakup letters.) They also send issues in the mail with a protective cover that naturally has marginals and cartoons on it; another opportunity to joke around.

Well done, Mad. Well done. You've earned another credit card payment.

edit on 1-12-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Good news!

Mad was an anchor for me as a child, too.

I haven't checked it out in years but I will now revisit.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I grew up with Man magazine, my cousin collected them. Loved the art work and was always amazed with the folding last page! Like a surprise in every issue

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dan00

Mad was an anchor for me as a child, too.

Well they say humor is the best medicine. And my sense of humor definitely has a Mad influence.

One of the comics they featured back in the day was Monroe. Wow I really identified with Monroe! (I'm sure a lot of teens did.) But you can imagine as a cancer patient, I sincerely felt that "nothing ever goes right for me" vibe from that strip. It's a shame they don't feature it anymore.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Best thing ever to read on the toilet.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Have you ever seen their series of "Mad Bathroom Companion?"

They are huge, dictionary-sized volumes

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

No but now I require.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Check your local bookseller

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Anyone remember getting those Mad Magazine stickers in their Bazooka bubble gum ?

That was back to the 70's.

The headboard on my brother's bed was covered with dozens of them... our mom growled every time she walked passed his room and was reminded of his rebellious ways.

ETA:

No wait, I have to correct myself. Bazooka bubble gum gave us the mini Mad comic strips... it was actually Mad Magazine bubble gum that gave you the stickers.

edit on 1-12-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Cracked > Mad.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
Cracked > Mad.

I couldn't say. Never opened a page of Cracked.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
It's all MADness to Me!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I only had limited access to bazooka gum, so i don't remember that far back i was a little kid in the 70's. We had sh-t load of Double Bubble gum though with cartoons.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Wow, Mad magazine still exists?

I was thinking about them a little while ago.

I used to read them in the 70's.

I just looked them up - their first magazine was in 1955.

----

Back when I used to read them they used to have all these cool things. Of course the fold up image in the back. But they used to also have a lot of scratch and sniff stuff which was cool, and you can smell a lot of stinky things. Ads for Sea Monkeys.. big full page cartoons like if a city neighborhood with all sorts of stuff going on in there. Spy vs Spy - they prob still have.

Thanks for the memories.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Received a MAD renewal letter a few weeks ago.
"We are writing this urgent note because your MAD subscription is about to end and we want to assure you that our commitment to very low quality remains high. In fact, we have no plans to publish anything with even a smidgen of socially redeeming value any time soon. That is our solemn pledge to you!"

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
i started reading Mad in the mid 60's..35 cents [CHEAP]
edit on 2-12-2016 by autopat51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
A flag for the thread and well done. I never subscribed but I have several books from family and friends. I visit their website every now and then for laughs and usually get them. Long live the usual gang of idiots. My best,

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaccceee
Received a MAD renewal letter a few weeks ago.
"We are writing this urgent note because your MAD subscription is about to end and we want to assure you that our commitment to very low quality remains high. In fact, we have no plans to publish anything with even a smidgen of socially redeeming value any time soon. That is our solemn pledge to you!"

Yeah that's where it starts

Hold out and they start sending you envelopes with headers like "Way to go! You blew it!" and my most recent "You want us back don't you?"

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I haven't red Mad since the 80's. Still have my copies somewhere.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst
It's all MADness to Me!

So missed... r.i.p.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join