It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you know anything about making console games, please chime in.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87

The greatest challenge is managing your life to find the time to do it. I, like you, am pursuing something similar w apps and games but when I get home from work I just want to relax. However, I made some progress w programming over the years. What cool now, you have sites like Stack Overflow where you can ask questions so making it a more realistic goal.
edit on 20-11-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Sounds cool, we need games like that. Games today look amazing but are not that fun.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

I will definitely take this advice to heart, at the moment I'm just doing my research and figuring out where the first step should be taken to start at. I was kinda hoping to be able to use Kickstarter or go fund me 😕, but that was a plan for way later down the road, after I had a storyline, concept art and possibly some sort of trailer. I will save that as a last resort though, I guess. I will take a look into local investors, although I think that's also for later on down the road. I'm glad I came to ATS for advice, you guys have always helped when I couldn't find any and I really appreciate it, thanks guys.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: amsterdamn87
a reply to: Gothmog

I haven't gotten that far yet. All I have is a concept, but I've spoken with a couple of friends that know computer hardware and software and they are also enthusiastic gamers. But like I said , this is an idea I came up with within the week, so I'm figuring out the hoops I'll need to jump through. And i haven't even pitched them the idea yet. But I believe they will have some insightful ideas on what first steps we should take.

Then you have taken the first steps. Dont let anyone dissuade you. We need more Indie developers .

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Like I've stated many times already, I know nothing of the gaming industry but with that said, I've been told by close friends and relatives, that when I put my mind to something, I exceed their expectations and then some. I'm a quick learner, especially when I'm involved in something I want to learn and i believe this is one of those things.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Yeah, It's not often I find an online game that I want to keep playing, especially with the leveling up situation, I remember starting on call of duty as level one and it took me about a week just to learn how to get a kill, I think a game where everyone woks together instead of against eachother would be a worthy experience, of course there'd be an option to play against each other but overall it would be a community effort.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Ima a bit insomniac and functuon decently well, so I think my time schedule should be fine.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

The main thing you shouldn't forget while working on this is retaining the original enthusiasm and keeping your team focused. By year 2 (even month 2) it is all too easy to lose your drive in projects that dont have any immediate reward.

As I mentioned previously I was working on a project for 1-2 years that has been in hiatus since then because I couldn't keep the drive going despite having a nearly finished project with artwork (mtg standard or better in some cases), 3d renderings of miniatures, full graphic design for cards, t-shirts (avatar logo is a t-shirt design of character), website nearly finished, playmats etc.

You may think "nah that wont happen, I am passionate about this project", but it will eventually so be aware of that and take steps to invigorate yourself and your team, even if it's just sinking some money into the project to take them all out for a night with beers or whatever.

If it starts with just you then be sure to take some time away from it so you don't burn out.

All well meaning advice with a hint of spam

edit on 21/11/2016 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Ive done just about everything you can in the games industy from modding existing systems to creating whole new engines, from level design to 3d asset modeling. Ive started right back in the day with 68000 processors, bbc micro,atari,spectrum, Amiga to pc. Ive worked with Code Masters, Atari and Epic and EA. Currently im only active with 3d model asset creation with TurboSquid who sell to companies like Pixar and Raytheon.

I dont want to put you off your idea but if you have no existing background in games creation you are talking about climbing a mountain blindfolded with no arms and legs. Just the mention of call of duty aspects in a game would require a cash input that is off the charts.

Unity is a great engine to start building an idea around to produce a proof of concept demo that might allow you to crowd fund going on to the next stage of development. But the idea that all you need is someone who can code to help pull this off is just beyond rediculous. The teams that have to put together to create call of duty and warcraft are either huge or medium sized but backed by huge sums of cash.

People have managed to put all this together themselves but you usually find that these are people with an already solid understanding of the industry and who are coders themselves. The dedication and coordination needed to get something like this to market is extreamly high. It can take years just to get the proof concept demo produced if you are trying to create something totally original. Extremly talented people dont just jump on board because you might have a good idea. They are not going to waste thier time and effort in working on something for free in the hope it might take off at some point when they can just go and work for a company that pays them good money for thier skills upfront. Most teams break down in less than a year unless they are being well paid.

My advice is look into unity ,the unreal engine or even steam. Learn exactly what it takes to build something small from the ground upwards and them you will have a more realistic idea of the goals you will have to achive to produce something that will someday get to market.

edit on 21-11-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: constant_thought

I appreciate the feedback, I've been talking to a friend that knows a bit about this stuff, so I'm getting a better understanding of whats involved but yeah at the moment all I have is a basic idea of what I want out of the game. I was also advised to have a storyline and try to stick to pc because anything else would cost more than I'd ever bargain for. Tonight I'll be working on the storyline and researching the process of how indy games are made, after a little more understanding it'll be a little easier to figure out where to go from there.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Thanks for the advice, yeah it seems console games will be out of the question so I'll be sticking to pc for now.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Actually,
you should copyright
your idea's now.

Before they are stolen.

I am a full believer in
intellectual property rights.

From experience,
I have learned that it is better to
willfully share charitably
than to be stolen from.

Heed these words.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

On my work break at the moment, but how would I get that started?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You guys have been very helpful and I extremely appreciate all of your guys feedback and advice. ATS has yet to disappoint me, thanks you guys very much.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I will return with links.
For you.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Look at my links earlier in this thread.
and check this out:

www.gamedesigning.org...

A word of advice: If you write down your concept in detail
on paper, and mail yourself a copy via USPS Certified Mail,
do not open it,and keep it sealed in a safe place.
It will stand up in a court of law.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join