It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you know anything about making console games, please chime in.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hello ATS, so I have an idea for a game for consoles or at least I know how I want it to work. What I'm here for is to find people who understand the process of how games are made and hope to get advice on where I should start. I've done a bit of reading and understand that I'll need to know coding and programming or at least have someone on my team that does but besides for that I know nothing.This is something I know will take a while to finish but I'm in it for the long haul and believe it will be well worth it, so if you know how the process works, I'd appreciate any amount of advice you guys may have. Well, I guess thats it for now, thanks ahead for any input and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
edit on 19-11-2016 by amsterdamn87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: amsterdamn87
Hello ATS, so I have an idea for a game for consoles or at least I know how I want it to work. What I'm here for is to find people who understand the process of how games are made and hope to get advice on where I should start. I've done a bit of reading and understand that I'll need to know coding and programming or at least have someone on my team that does but besides for that I know nothing.This is something I know will take a while to finish but I'm in it for the long haul and believe it will be well worth it, so if you know how the process works, I'd appreciate any amount of advice you guys may have. Well, I guess thats it for now, thanks ahead for any input and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

First, before you go any further, I would write down the game concept in good detail. Then send it certified mail to yourself and don't open it. That way if anyone attempts to steal it you can bring that as evidence they stole your idea.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87

Start with things like RPG maker, Link

One of the best games i have ever played was done with this "tool"

To the moon

are you interested in coding?
are you interested in storytelling?
what is the purpose? Make it to a simple one, start from there..

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

If your game idea has any value, sell it. If you aren't versed at all in the coding side of a game, you can't move forward, and you can't learn that overnight, or in any realistic timeframe.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

I know about the poor man's patent but I decided to wait to do that until I have a complete idea. Thanks though.
edit on 19-11-2016 by amsterdamn87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Unity 4 Game Engine
Simple, easy to use , powerful game engine
Wasteland 2 , Divinity Original Sin , lots more
Free (check the agreement though. If you release a game on Unity 4 , it no longer is free)
And yes , I have modded some games based on the Unity engine

edit on 11/19/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I wouldn't say any game engine is simple to someone who hasn't coded before.

Maybe there's some outlet to sell game ideas. Not sure how you would prevent them from stealing it though since you would have to tell them about it before they can buy it.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

You could have them sign a non-disclosure agreement. For what that is worth. They still could just twist the concept enough to still get away with 'stealing' the concept. To the OP ...Good Luck!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Thanks for the link, when it comes down to it, I plan on putting together a team that has the necessary skills to help me make this game. My hope is that this game will be one of a kind and I plan for the graphics to be pretty intricate, so I dont think that program will be very helpful, but I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks again for the input.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I'm putting a team together with the necessary skills, so hopefully I can find someone that knows coding.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It seems if I'm not able to find someone who knows coding, I'll need to use one of these programs -_- My plan for the game was to be decently immersive.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

In cases like these I think you are better off selling a fully functional concept with artwork, story, assets and a technical demo of your project. Just an idea wont sell or like you said, it will be stolen by those darn dirty thieves! However if the idea is thoroughly fleshed out then that is enticing for publishers/dev teams.

But at that point you're most of the way there so... go finish!

Tbh I am a bit of a hypocrite here... I have been developing a board game for the past 3 years (avatar char is one of 4 main characters) and I still can't finish the last 10% of artwork and card design... sigh...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Step One:

Library of Congress/ U.S. Copyright Office :

copyright.gov...

Step Two:

The United States Patent Office:

www.uspto.gov...

Step Three:

Prayer and Legal Council.

S&F
Never quit.
edit on 20-11-2016 by Wildmanimal because: fix link

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
console games? PC master race ftw.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I though about selling my idea, but like you said I'd have to worry about my idea being stolen, which is the last thing I'd want. And honestly I don't want an idea I have to be butchered by a corporation. My goal is to have a game that doesn't get old no matter how long you play.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Lmao, I don't know the likely hood of it happening, but my hope is that the game would be compatible with most consoles and on the same server ( i.e. playstaion and xbox players would be on same server playing eachother) although I dont know how feasible that would be. I guess it would be similar to spiderman joining the MCU.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Are you wanting to make a game in general or a specifically a game that plays on a console? That's potentially going to put you on very different paths.

Will it be single player or multiplayer? Another big component.

If you're a one man army then the RPG Maker is a good one to explore. It does its best to limit you to JRPG and single player. If you learn a bit of Ruby language and then you could use RPG Maker's scripting language to tweak things so it's less limiting.

If you're not wanting a JRPG'ish style game, or if you want multiplayer, then you should check out Unity 3D. There is lots and lots of resources online to learn it. You can use C# or Javascript natively. They have a huge marketplace to help you jumpstart things too.

If you're looking to make a console game for a modern platform then you're talking C++ and other languages and a team.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Ill keep that in mind for when I get a little farther in my project, thanks

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

My idea is for a multiplayer , modern platform, console game. Like I said to another member though, I'm in the process of putting a team together. I actually just started this a couple of days ago.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

It's a huge endeavor. Doable, but it's asking for skill and dedication nonetheless. Are you wanting to start a gaming company with that team?

If so, you all might consider first making a game using Unity and put it on the mobile app stores (Android & iOS) first. That's still a big project, but I think it would be a good stepping stone.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join