It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

long lines at polls result of GOP voter suppression

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

Pick-up the phone and make an appointment with your state senator and state representative. No one here has any sway to affect changes you want to see in your state. Even better, consider running for local office, town council, county government, etc. instead of waiting for someone else to get around to changing it to suit you.

well said!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

In areas under gop governance they closed down polling places in minority districts. It's been on the news.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I agree. High turn out is very good.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like many precincts are just plain incompetent.

I would not say incompetent. They are getting flooded with high voter turnout this year. The line was actually moving fairly smooth but it was just long. People in line, older voters were saying they had never seen it like that before. Voter turnout is going to be insane.

That's good news for sure.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

In areas under gop governance they closed down polling places in minority districts. It's been on the news.

Well that's just appalling !!!

Can you show us at least 3 sources that prove that?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I was able to vote with one couple in front of me. Sure I did this early, but then republicans tend to look ahead instead of last minute. It's a conservative thing, you wouldn't understand.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Being in North Carolina I wonder if you or your district were affected by the voter suppression acts in your state

thinkprogress.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Long lines at the post office too. Voter suppression, mailing suppression...we have to end the GOP's ability to slow down a brother.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jtoj123

Cheating is the only way the GOP can hope to win.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

what if it takes longer because people in minority districts are much less likely to have ID, People with obscure forms of ID or no ID take a lot longer to set up to vote. . Can you even pick up mail at the post office without ID?

I'm not saying the GOP doesn't do this. I wait a half hour+ at my polling location in the general and its 95% white small town.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

So if you only vote in the presidential election you have to register every time or you get purged? Sucks...
What state is that?

link   
a reply to: jtoj123

So more people voting = voter suppression?

That's weird logic you have going on there.

link   

originally posted by: EightAhoy
The places with reduced voting locations also have early voting.

My (blue) state:
If you haven't voted in two years, your county purges your record requiring you to re-register. No big deal.

Wait...What???

Are you saying there is a new law where you are where if you didn't vote in the mid-term, non-presidential election two years ago, your voter registration gets purged?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Indigo5

So those who vote should pay attention to who they elect locally because those elected locally make the voter laws?

Yes...that person who couldn't vote because they have a job and couldn't drive the extra 20 minutes to the new voting station to wait in a 3 hour line...should vote more carefully ?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
my computer has been bugging me to go vote every time to go to Google. It even offers to tell me where I can go and how I get to the closest place. And I am pretty sure it's one of them "liberals".

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtoj123
a reply to: network dude

Being in North Carolina I wonder if you or your district were affected by the voter suppression acts in your state

thinkprogress.org...

nope, the same place I always vote at was open for the last two weeks for early voting. Even on Saturday. My wife was able to vote last weekend thanks to that. She has a hard time getting off work early enough during the week. I think the crying about voter suppression is just that. They even repealed the Voter ID so all those folks who don't have a drivers licence, or state ID, but somehow can get checks cashed, don't have to prove who they are. If they wanted to pretend they were a dead guy and vote twice, it's entirely possible.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The only thing keeping people from voting is laziness or a job. It should be a National Holiday every 4 years, hold it on a Thursday and give us a 4 day weekend....to recover....

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Of course, your employer is supposed to give you reasonable time to vote by law.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Indigo5

So those who vote should pay attention to who they elect locally because those elected locally make the voter laws?

Yes...that person who couldn't vote because they have a job and couldn't drive the extra 20 minutes to the new voting station to wait in a 3 hour line...should vote more carefully ?

Employers are required to give you time to vote. That is no excuse.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: matafuchs

Of course, your employer is supposed to give you reasonable time to vote by law.

Beat me to it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join