It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California woman faces possible jail time for selling signature dish online

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

So let me get this straight...

The Bush and Obama administrations (as well as others throughout the last forty years or more of foreign policy stupidity) are allowed to sell guns to psychopaths, recruit those psychopaths as intelligence assets and operate global terror networks in order to destroy the freedom of their people and the lives of people abroad, all without the permission of the people...

But Mrs Nobody In Particular, who has no nefarious intent, who is making simple food for people, requires the permission of the state and faces legal challenge? I do not think that this makes much sense when you look at things broadly.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

I think the government should stay out of everyday life.

If someone knowingly buys food from someone not licensed to sell it, then that's their risk and they are taking it knowingly.

If someone wants to buy only from licensed sellers, that's their choice too.

What's going to happen to all of those church Chicken Bakes, and Cake Sales?

Many states make church functions exempt. Baked goods that are low risk, like cakes and bread, are also exempt. This lady was selling raw fish. Raw proteins get people killed. This wasn't Grammy selling cupcakes for a church bake sale.

I've done investigations where many people have gotten sick from cooked proteins. Selling ceviche without a permit, which ensures proper food handling, is incredibly irresponsible.

Do you want people handling your food that have hepatitis without gloves? Do you want to eat food that has been sitting in uncooked poultry juice? That's what can happen when there is no control. What if this lady had a roach infestation? Would you like to eat raw fish that has had roaches crawling on it?

I've seen things that would make your skin crawl in licensed facilities. I can only imagine what some of the unlicensed places could be doing.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

So let me get this straight...

The Bush and Obama administrations (as well as others throughout the last forty years or more of foreign policy stupidity) are allowed to sell guns to psychopaths, recruit those psychopaths as intelligence assets and operate global terror networks in order to destroy the freedom of their people and the lives of people abroad, all without the permission of the people...

But Mrs Nobody In Particular, who has no nefarious intent, who is making simple food for people, requires the permission of the state and faces legal challenge? I do not think that this makes much sense when you look at things broadly.

I can't believe you went this route. What the hell does selling weapons to terrorists have to do with food safety?

None of the restaurants I've ever heard of, while following food safety law, had the intent to kill people. Those people are still dead. I don't think people are really understanding the scope of how many people can be hurt by unregulated food vendors. This lady was selling raw fish.

The reason we don't have hundreds of thousands dead every year is because these rules are in place. Who buys raw fish to eat on Facebook?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I want to know what idiot would buy ceviche online.

That's worse than gas station sushi.

Yeah, she should shut down.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Oh California.....isnt it overdue to sink into the ocean?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You've been sucked into the hyperbole, well done.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I am going that route because the fact is that the US government, and its various appendages, have been morally defunct for an age, and have no business dictating to the people until their behaviour gets a damned sight closer to perfect than it is today.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Wow I didn't realize that was illegal, I've seen listings for "home cooked" meals, and hey if people want to make a buck cookin' some good ol' fashioned potatoes and meat for me well, I've never complained. But I never thought there was a legal problem with it. This sucks.

-Alee

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I am going that route because the fact is that the US government, and its various appendages, have been morally defunct for an age, and have no business dictating to the people until their behaviour gets a damned sight closer to perfect than it is today.

Ah, so rule of law should be suspended. Maybe we can endorse selling crack to 12 year old kids too since the Fed is corrupt.

The Fed has nothing to do with local food safety programs. They're run through state and local governments. As much as I love my job being compared to arming terrorists, it's simply not the case.

Speaking of terrorists, do you know that contaminating food and water is a significant target of terrorists? What happens when somebody decides to poison people through their unlicensed food service? Should I also stop testing water from public water sources? I mean, after all, who am I to require safe food and water for public consumption? Since Bush funded terrorists I should just stop. Makes perfect sense.

I'll also stop coordinating the rabies program, approving septic systems, and all other local government functions I do. I bet you'd love some septic system effluent right on top of your water source. Mmmmmm protein.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Stop selling it as food.
Sell it as a second hand uncleaned "as is" plate.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Agreed. Even if one doesn't like government intervention in general, the examples you list are ones I can't believe people would argue with.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

You doing what you do at grass roots, saves lives.

Up above that level, government is nothing more than the most lethal disease the human race has ever inflicted upon itself. Edicts that do not apply to members of government, but apply to the citizen are not legitimate.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Sure, let's just allow people to prep, cook and sell food without any regs to answer to whatsoever. There's no way that could go wrong, huh? Regulations might not eliminate corner-cutting and gross practices all together, but they certainly reduce them significantly, ask any restaurant owner worth their proverbial salt.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You doing what you do at grass roots, saves lives.

Up above that level, government is nothing more than the most lethal disease the human race has ever inflicted upon itself. Edicts that do not apply to members of government, but apply to the citizen are not legitimate.

I hate people getting away with things too, but you're just taking the piss out of this topic. This isn't about funding terrorism, this is about protecting innocent people no matter how ignorant they are of the danger.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Did anyone get sick from this womans cooking then?

If so, fair play. If not shes still a damned sight safer than many government initiatives.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Did anyone get sick from this womans cooking then?

If so, fair play. If not shes still a damned sight safer than many government initiatives.

The only thing that separates 1st world from 3rd world really boils down to safe food and water. If you want to continue down this assinine path of comparing government actions with safe food and water feel free.

Go drink your water from the mud puddle outside your house. That's a perfectly acceptable protest against your government regulated water. You enjoy the benefits of the first world, if you want to protest that go drink gutter water.

You're being completely obtuse, which is unlike you, in this discussion. Equating criminal federal crimes with food safety is absurd. Since the UK participated in US wars should we suspend healthcare? Should we stop prosecuting for assault? How about rape? Should the government stop telling us rape is against the law? How dare they stop us from raping while going to wars in sovereign nations.

Hundreds of thousands will die if we stop regulating food and water. Deny ignorance.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

There's good reason for commercial food businesses to be regulated, inspected, properly trained, etc. Besides, if she is allowed to do business without the inspections and permits, why should any restaurant be under those requirements?

Trust me, most people do not know proper food safety. Ever put leftovers in the fridge with a cover on? If you're not waiting until the food is fully chilled to cover it, you're doing it wrong. Does she use separate, non-porous cutting surfaces for meat and fish from the vegetable cutting board?

I'm all for less government control, but I really don't think trusting all restaurants to follow proper food safety protocols is a good idea. Or is there some reason she shouldn't be held to the same standard as someone who has invested in the facilities and training typical of a licensed restaurant?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
OK, this is sad. But......where is her recipe?

I likes me some ceviche.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join