It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California woman faces possible jail time for selling signature dish online

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I thought SF Bay area was a sanctuary city zone?

She has a spanish name but obviously must be a legal citizen otherwise she would not be prosecuted.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I'll cross that bridge IF it ever happens.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I'm glad people are beginning to recognize the folly of the regulatory state (or town).

We may ask ourselves what the purpose of any particular edict is but, it is rare that the manifestation of that intended end is ever achieved or even considered in the realization of these policies and their enforcement regimes.

Simply put, who has she harmed and what benefit is gained by these absurd laws?

It seems to me the people who defend these things ultimately assert that the failure to obey the command is in and of itself justification for violence. I do understand why people must conclude that given that every other reckless power grab is no more logical or necessary than this one.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
some jackass cop trolling facebook to arrest a chick cooking, instead of actually patrolling.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Oh, they are all about making sure they enforce all those petty little codes for us little people.

We recently had one of the biggest BBQ competitions in the country here. You know what they were going to do with all that extra Que? They were going to donate it to local food banks and missions to feed homeless people one kick@ss meal, but the food gestappo had to step in and save teh starving. You see they could not account for all of the time in the chain, so they dumped out all that luiscious competition Que and dumped bleach on it.

It's better that way. Wouldn't want the homeless to eat food that might have been at a one or two degree temp difference for a couple minutes!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

For the most part eggs sold from home are exempt from licensing. Also excluded are whole fruits, vegetables, and greens. This is so that farmers can sell their goods.

Once you start cooking, or in this case start serving raw proteins, you need a permit.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Once they legalize MJ, they wont have a problem with budgets and funding. Hopefully small time crap like this will fall by the wayside

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
maybe they didnt taste good?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
For the people bitching about regulations, think of it this way.

Food laws & people like Ksihkehe enforcing them are effectively ensuring we do not turn into China regarding food shortcuts and hazards. Unless you like the idea of mystery additions (remember plastic rice? what's that oil they use for street foods again?) or questionable storage, handling & cooking because you tossed the rules out the window, I suggest you get a grip. Natural selection will do it's thing when people do dumb crap like get blackout drunk while swimming and so forth. Food for sale does not need to be on the Idiot's Way To Die list completely uninhibited.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
Would you prefer people are able to sell food without any checks? What happens when someone gets sick? I, for one, am happy that anyone selling food has to pass through hoops.

Oh and REALLY quite pathetic to throw in the Clinton comment. What does she have to do with this?

I live in the San Joaquin county, and you have hit the proverbial nail on the head....ooooooohhhh......health and safety laws.....MUST BE A DEMOCRATIC CONSPIRECY!!!.....

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Well, it's nice to know the farmers are allowed to sell their goods.

Am I the only one who sees the problem here? A law has been passed, a good law, a needed law, but a law that is being prosecuted so vigorously that exceptions have to be made on a point-by-point basis, just to allow people to live. A farmer selling his goods should not have to be allowed... it should be an accepted right.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with anyone operating as a business needing a permit to sell, and inspections on, their wares. I only believe the system has over-reached itself when a woman can face jail time for cooking a meal that someone asked her to cook. People do not need to be regulated in every thing they do.

I will bring up another example: milk. Now, the milk I buy today comes from the store and is pasteurized and homogenized, with extra Vitamin D for health. But growing up I used to drink straight milk from the farmers, because my grandfather was a farmer. I understand that that is now illegal, despite the commonly-held belief that unpasteurized, unhomogenized, pure milk is better for you. I can attest to the fact that it didn't kill me.

At what point will we have inspectors working overtime to check everyone's meal before they eat it?

There's a limit to what is reasonable in every circumstance. This particular case has exceeded that limit, and in doing so has established what could be a disastrous precedent.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: TheRedneck

For the most part eggs sold from home are exempt from licensing. Also excluded are whole fruits, vegetables, and greens. This is so that farmers can sell their goods.

Once you start cooking, or in this case start serving raw proteins, you need a permit.

There might be laws about selling on your own property.

If the person comes onto your property to buy stuff.

I'm not sure.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

You're right. Because competition BBQ folks are going to be spending hours and hours on putting out the best plastic ribs they can concoct!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

And people wonder why corporations have so much power...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Ceviché is prepared with raw fish. Raw fish can contain deadly toxins, like mercury and other things that are poisonous to humans. Deadly toxins kill people. This is made in the kitchen of a person whom you cannot be sure of the sanitation practices of. Many people don't wash their hands or utensils or food prep area properly. That is how life threatening salmonella and enterococcal bacteria such as E.coli are most commonly spread.

Would you want to order a dip made with raw fish from someone you do not know on the internet and knowingly feed it to your family? I sure hope the answer to that is not affirmative. Food-borne toxins and bacteria kill people, every single day...particularly children.

She was told to get a food handling permit. She chose not to. She wanted to make easy money while circumventing the law. She got precisely what she deserves.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Ceviche is not entirely raw. The acidity of the preparation "cooks" the fish (pickles it might be a better description).

Here's the thing though. Don't you think most people are smart enough to figure out that something you get out of another person's kitchen might not be up to commercial kitchen code?

Are you suggesting that the food police railroad in people who want to host their friends to dinner now? After all, that food might not be prepared up to food code standard either and it might not have ingredients of which you approve ... Here's the thing, if you don't like or approve of ceviche or are worried it might not be up to your exacting standards, don't buy any.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Here's the thing, if you don't like or approve of ceviche or are worried it might not be up to your exacting standards, don't buy any.

Here's another thing, if you don't want to get the required license for selling perishable food online, don't sell perishable food online.
edit on 7-11-2016 by kaylaluv because: duh, perishable

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: ketsuko

Here's the thing, if you don't like or approve of ceviche or are worried it might not be up to your exacting standards, don't buy any.

Here's another thing, if you don't want to get the required license for selling perishable food online, don't sell perishable food online.

There is a difference between selling food for a profit and what this group was doing -- organizing their efforts to exchange recipes and ingredients and occasionally help each other out with dishes for various occasions.

Because basically if I say to someone online, "I can bake you that cake; can you pay for the ingredients?" Then according to the officials involved in all this mess, I have now "sold" you food over the internet.
edit on 7-11-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ceviché is prepared with limón, but it does not eradicate toxins and bacteria like cooking with heat does. It is a raw food. I have prepared this traditional dish on the weekends for years for my family, and I still won't feed it to the kids because there's always a chance that it could be contaminated. They don't sell the raw version in restaurants here, either...they use boiled shredded shrimp instead, because no one wants to be responsible for making people sick.

It's one thing to purchase fresh produce from a farmer, where you select it, take it home and thoroughly sanitize it before feeding it to your family. But ordering a raw dish off the internet from a complete stranger, with no business license or permit stating that she has the proper equipment and sanitation practices is just plain stupid.

She wanted to sell the food for quick money, and did not want to pay for the proper license to do it. That right there is a blatant display of irresponsibility. She wants people to buy her raw fish dip, but doesn't care enough about her customers' well being to make sure she's preparing it, packaging it, and shipping it safely...would you trust her enough to feed her raw fish to your children? I wouldn't. I'll give my money to a food preparer who cares enough to do it right instead of one who simply wants to circumvent the law so she can have her cake and eat it too.

But then, I've seen people die of poisoning before, so I guess I'm biased like that. I don't buy fast food either, for the same reasons. If I can't physically see the food prepared in front of me, it's not going into my family's mouths.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Here's thing: NO ONE FORCES ANYONE TO BUY IT! If you don't feel it is safe, then don't buy it. It is very simple. Who are you to decide that no one should make the decision for themselves?

People shouldn't eat undercooked hamburger either, but many still do. Some even order it that way at restaurants. Is it your job or mine to make that decision for them? Why is it the responsibility of the state to save them from themselves?

I eat undercooked egg. I eat sushi. I eat a lot of things that many might not deem "proper." No one forced them to eat that way. I am aware of the risks I take. OMG! I eat raw cookie dough ... Are you going to order the food police into my home to save me from myself? I might get salmonella and die, you know ...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join