It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Closing Threads That Are Already Posted Can Mods Move Comments To The Already Existing Thread?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Just a suggestion, I will try my best to explain.

Sometimes a duplicate thread is created. Sometimes it goes unnoticed for a while. Then a bunch of comments/replies roll in (an example is nearly a full page worth.). Sometimes there is an interesting conversation occurring. Then all of a sudden, Thread Closed (regardless if the creator of the thread or others agrees with the mods decision that it is a duplicate thread or not.) The thread won't accept a reply if it was closed while you were creating the reply. Then there is no other way to continue the previous conversation. Is there a way mods can move the comments/replies from the closed thread to the already existing thread?

Of course this would not need to be done if the thread has limited comments and closed quickly.

Thanks in advance

edit on 4-11-2016 by gmoneystunt because: grammar

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't mind continuing the conversation to the already existing thread but you can't reply to comments from the closed thread to the already existing thread. In return it makes it impossible to continue your conversation.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

It is possible for mods to copy/paste posts from one (closed) thread to another (open) thread, but then the posts would all look to be by that moderator. In other words, there would only be the moderators avatar and username on the post and not the original authors'.

We could include the username in the C/P'd post, but it wouldn't look very good.

Too much work, especially if there were multiple pages.

Kinda down on the idea myself.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Thanks for the reply. If it is time consuming i agree its not worth it.

Is there a way to link it to the other thread so that you can still reply to the closed thread but it shows up on the already existing thread instead?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Replying to a closed thread is impossible.

One could always refer to the closed thread in the open thread.
That could be done by linking to the closed thread in the OP of the open thread.

Thing is, it would have to be via the permission of the original poster of the open thread. I think it should depend on a PM request or Complaint from a member and not be a standard action by staff.

It's a good idea, though.

edit on 4/11/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

if it's like most forum boards , there's probably only a few mods with enough credentials/rights to do that , and a ton of duplicate threads... I've seen Mods on other boards go rogue before & move everything around, & it's not a pretty sight...

But can't anyone just put link up to the duplicate thread,? no need for Mod

edit on 4-11-2016 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowChatter

Yes... anyone can make a post which links back to a closed thread.

The problem lies in the difficulty of relying to a post in a closed thread and having it show up in the open thread. Not saying that's impossible, but you'd need Notepad to work that up.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Its called 'Merge'. Its available with popular forum software such as MyBB, SMF and phpBB. Its been around for years.

When used, the conversation flow can appear to be out of sync.

edit on 4-11-2016 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Back when I was first modded, there was an ability to "merge" threads, but when used, it really mucked up and wreaked havoc with the database, as well as you noted, it totally destroyed the flow of an existing thread to simply brute force in replies from another thread.

Nor would the suggestion of cut and paste work. it would again be difficult to preserve the flow, it also would require alot of work, and all the replies would be from the mod in question not the actual poster itself.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

You can move the text yourself with a copy paste?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

You guys do enough without having to start cutting and pasting text. Some of the regular members will try and stop a duplicate thread from developing with a link. I think it is a kind gesture but some OPs don't see it that way accusing the poster of being a mini-mod.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

You can move the text yourself with a copy paste?

The problem with that is you don't have access to the reply/quote buttons from the closed thread. There are specific post numbers in the buttons functions that I lose access to. I am unable to come up with the post numbers. For example when I am quoting you in this post at the top it shows: (just missing a couple of brackets)

quote]originally posted by: [post=21470033]Blaine91555[/post
a reply to: post=21469236]gmoneystunt[/post

When the thread is closed people from the don't bother going to the already existing thread to continue the conversations because you can't reply/quote from the closed thread. Also without the access to the reply/quote buttons from the closed thread, we are not notified of a reply to our post.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

You can quote the posts and link to them. It would amount to the same thing.

Just post the link and then quote what you are replying to.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I just wish I wouldn't accidentally lose a massive post because I was having fun casually on the site and didn't open up notepad or something to write my post.

Nothing more annoying than writing a lengthy response and then losing it cause some mod showed up and killed the thread mid writing.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
Just a suggestion, I will try my best to explain.

Sometimes a duplicate thread is created. Sometimes it goes unnoticed for a while. Then a bunch of comments/replies roll in (an example is nearly a full page worth.). Sometimes there is an interesting conversation occurring. Then all of a sudden, Thread Closed (regardless if the creator of the thread or others agrees with the mods decision that it is a duplicate thread or not.) The thread won't accept a reply if it was closed while you were creating the reply. Then there is no other way to continue the previous conversation. Is there a way mods can move the comments/replies from the closed thread to the already existing thread?

Of course this would not need to be done if the thread has limited comments and closed quickly.

Thanks in advance

It sounds to me as though you're looking for an internal mechanism by which to have them physically move the previous messages into the current thread stream.

IIRC, SkepticOverlord wrote most if not all the code for ATS, I'm sure he could probably give the best insight as to why it would be a challenge, though I suspect the re-indexing of the messages to suit a move would be a huge challenge.
edit on 7-11-2016 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

IIRC, SkepticOverlord wrote most if not all the code for ATS, I'm sure he could probably give the best insight as to why it would be a challenge, though I suspect the re-indexing of the messages to suit a move would be a huge challenge.

He addressed this way back when we had the green bars in our mini-profiles. You'll remember the days of the u2u buttons and the uproar over that toolbar at the foot of the page

Basically, it was a 'not possible.'

This is /thread1145067/pg1

Another similar thread could be /thread1145060/pg2

Merging the two would knock out the threads numbered 1145061-66 and any others that have been posted afterwards. I *think* that was the gist of his comments. I'm trying to recall a post from 2008/9ish and could be wrong. Lot of water and dudgeon under the bridge since then.

I haven't thought about the older changes for years and your '2005' registered date gave me a flashback to the old styles.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

He addressed this way back when we had the green bars in our mini-profiles. You'll remember the days of the u2u buttons and the uproar over that toolbar at the foot of the page

Merging the two would knock out the threads numbered 1145061-66 and any others that have been posted afterwards. I *think* that was the gist of his comments. I'm trying to recall a post from 2008/9ish and could be wrong. Lot of water and dudgeon under the bridge since then.

I haven't thought about the older changes for years and your '2005' registered date gave me a flashback to the old styles.

hahaha oh man how I remember that uproar

(almost as much as I remember the Galactic Federation of Light) ... sigh

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

ATS/Internet years are like dog years lol. We're nearly 200 internet years old between us and lived through the FEMA threads

It's late here and time to go.Tomorrow I'll post an image of the 2008/9 mini-profile. If you've got a 2005 it'd be good to see it.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

It is possible for mods to copy/paste posts from one (closed) thread to another (open) thread, but then the posts would all look to be by that moderator. In other words, there would only be the moderators avatar and username on the post and not the original authors'.

We could include the username in the C/P'd post, but it wouldn't look very good.

Too much work, especially if there were multiple pages.

Kinda down on the idea myself.

So the forum software does not allow for merging of topics?

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

ATS/Internet years are like dog years lol. We're nearly 200 internet years old between us and lived through the FEMA threads

It's late here and time to go.Tomorrow I'll post an image of the 2008/9 mini-profile. If you've got a 2005 it'd be good to see it.

Last night I spent some 4 hours going through some of the old threads here on ATS for nostalgic purposes
Including a couple of the aforementioned.

I'll have to poke around on all my machines that I have saved and see if I have any, I'll U2U if I can find anything fun!

new topics

top topics

join