It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit court defeat for UK government

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I would expect MPs to support the way their constituents voted either way. I voted to Remain and my neighbours disagreed so much so that we were one of the highest Leave voting areas. I would assume my MP would go with the majority.
edit on 3112016 by Scallywwagg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: SprocketUK

Democracy isn't the government of the day making decisions that will affect the future of everyone of us without any parliamentry scrutiny. I thought part of the reason for us leaving was supposed to be about getting back sovereignty to our own parliament.

Agreed, and to go back to the very beginning, (people keep blethering on about Maascricht as being some new trick that came in from the blue, which it wasn't) at the beginning we became partners in the EEC, we knew then, or for most, our ministers knew that some sovereignty over some things would have to be conceded, they fought over it at the time, Enoch Powell used the word cession repeatedly, John Gummer wasn't concerned at all, only anxious to see what the country could get out of it all. In the end, Edward Heath signed the country into the EEC, (illegally IMHO) because there should have been a referendum then, and in fact that government should have resigned due to changes in the status quo of sovereignty, that only a sovereign parliament could address on behalf of the people, however Heath got away with it. In the meantime, Harold Wilson puffed away at the pipe knowing full well what had happened, and eventually came back into power as prime minister again and sought to make the wrong right by calling a referendum and suspending his cabinet, and all ministers so they could express opinion same as everyone else, it worked the referendum was a yes vote. But although most everyone was happy to be in the EEC, (Cons and Labour at least) if you look at the actual question asked, Harold was himself a little bit crafty. The question was, (with a yes or no answer)
“Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community?” he wasn't asking the people to join, yet a tad more than technically, there had been no sovereign inspired entry into the EEC in the first place.

People actually voted to stay in something...they weren't really in.
So, what about all the other countries who conceded some of their sovereignty, well the bickering will go on, however their entitlement will go on as well, and I dare say that most of them, understand where they are better off ultimately. GB is a very small part of the world, a net importer, they can't go it alone any more, however that's the way it will be now. Our infrastructure in roads is terrible, we won't be able to afford the rail even though it has improved considerably, round here the verges are not being serviced, the roads are absolute crap and dangerous, there is little to no industry, hasn't been for half a century...however, carry on chaps, we'll get there soon...my arse.
edit on 3-11-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

(people keep blethering on about Maastricht as being some new trick that came in from the blue, which it wasn't)

Actually, yes it was, back in 1992 the treaty was a big deal, as the treaty was the road map for today, at the time it was felt there should be a referendum prior to ratiffication, yet the Tories saw fit to push it through, inflaming the Euroskeptics enormously, so much so they have never forgiven the action, which is why the referendum happend in the place....they could no longer be silenced idefinitely, especially with the spin on immigration.

Harold Wilson took us into the common market, sure, but Maastricht was whole different bottle of glue and to deny otherwise is re-writing history.
edit on 042016ThursdaypmThu, 03 Nov 2016 20:18:04 -05008America/Chicago32016 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
A democratic vote should be respected. Why does a vote in parliament change anything. The nation has spoken they turned out and voted and the overall majority of the UK voted to leave. Can we just get on with it now please!

To me it just seems like that the intent is to overturn a democratic vote and do their very best to stop the UK from leaving the EU.

If they do successfully overturn and block the UK from leaving the EU via a parliamentary vote then I am worried because it WILL divide the UK more so and cause political unrest and unrest on the streets.

edit on 03America/Chicagov00pm1130 by deviant300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: deviant300

Because Parliament was democratically elected to represent the people? They can take into account the non-binding resolution where the people voiced they wanted to leave. I feel like a lot of people forget what non-binding means.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
a reply to: deviant300

Because Parliament was democratically elected to represent the people? They can take into account the non-binding resolution where the people voiced they wanted to leave. I feel like a lot of people forget what non-binding means.

And if it was 52-48 to remain yet Cameron pressed the article 50 button anyway you'd have all been sat around thinking "Oh peachy, it was only an advisory referendum".

This is how people end up with nothing, little more than serf think.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

An commentary piece from the Guardian, once a left leaning paper that was famous for poor spelling and integrity.
Now, one of their big guns openly calling for MP's to take this opportunity to overturn the referendum result and force the country to stay within the EU.

THIS is the poison that is ruining our society, the driving force behind the change from having an actually accountable, democratic form of government to the sort of Soviet style "Vote for who you like but the train keeps rolling" style dictatorship.

Is that what you want? is that the sort of country you wish to bequeath to future generations?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Kind of ironic that those who want foreign courts to retain pre-eminence used British ones to ensure that...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Wonder when this country is going to start enforcing it's treason laws...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Should erect 650 gibbets on the Mall to focus people's minds

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It's a myth that foriegn courts had pre-eminence over british courts and the british justice system.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Probably about the same time Tony Blair stands as the accused in the dock at the Hague.....Never.
edit on 4-11-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
So much for the will of the people....

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Steak

I guess it's like Orwell said, some animals are more equal than others.

And their votes get counted likewise.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

When it all boils down to what's best for GBPLC you and i are just a minor fart stain on our xxxl undercrackers... Do you really believe that Law lords have any control over matters?...Like most governments. Law lords will come to the decision that is best for UKPLC. Will it benefit the people?...dont hold your breath.
edit on 4-11-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

When it all boils down to what's best for GBPLC you and i are just and minor fart stain on our xxxl undercrackers... Do you really believe that Law lords have any control over matters?...Like most governments. Law lords will come to the decision that is best for UKPLC. Will it benefit the people?...dont hold your breath.

I have zero faith in any of them.
It's the speed with which so many people are aiding and abetting this thing that does my head in.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Kind of ironic that those who want foreign courts to retain pre-eminence used British ones to ensure that...

Not really, considering the court process in this case is on the application of English Law. It's when it all gets silly and when the UK routes are exhausted and it gets escalated to European Courts. That's where you get the breakdown as people are invoking a judicial system that has no accountability.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Not really, considering the court process in this case is on the application of English Law. It's when it all gets silly and when the UK routes are exhausted and it gets escalated to European Courts. That's where you get the breakdown as people are invoking a judicial system that has no accountability.

So on that reasoning if the 52% who voted to leave dont get justice. have they the right to take it to the European courts...How #ing hilarious would that be..And how inevitable the outcome.

Signed article 50 yet...?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

So on that reasoning if the 52% who voted to leave dont get justice.

Your reasoning is silly. I suspect you know that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join