It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit court defeat for UK government

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

From the BBC - Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal exit negotiations with the EU - on its own.
Theresa May says the referendum - and existing ministerial powers - mean MPs do not need to vote, but campaigners called this unconstitutional.
The government is appealing, with a further hearing expected next month.

So, those who would seek to rule us rather than represent us have won a victory in the courts triggering a parliamentary debate and vote prior to enacting article 50.

I find it ironic that the woman leading the case was a bloody Ghanian.....The Lib Dems and Labour traitors will be rubbing their hands in glee at the chance to overturn the will of the majority of the people.

I say it again, this is a result of our representatives thinking they have the right to rule rather than actually represent us.

Why vote? Why pay tax? Why obey all laws equally if this is how we are to be dealt with?

I will be quite happy to see the offices of anti referendum MP's firebombed if they eventually get their way and swindle us. There is no purpose in supporting a system as corrupt and unrepresentative as this.

As you can tell, I am a little bit miffed at this, I only hope decency prevails over deviancy. Though it's a hope, rather than an expectation, sadly.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Just dragging it on , not gonna change the end result .

No wonder the country is a mess when nothing gets done quickly .

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

The Lib Dems and Labour traitors will be rubbing their hands in glee at the chance to overturn the will of the majority of the people.

You say that like there are no conservatives that won't be doing the same.

Your partisan potshot shows how you truly feel.

I will be quite happy to see the offices of anti referendum MP's firebombed if they eventually get their way and swindle us.

Tell us how you really feel.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

The Lib Dems and Labour traitors will be rubbing their hands in glee at the chance to overturn the will of the majority of the people.

I will be quite happy to see the offices of anti referendum MP's firebombed if they eventually get their way and swindle us.

Oh, no doubt about it, though the Libs and Labour lot are more vocal in their opposition to respecting the vote.

If I said how I really felt I'd end up on a watch list

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Judicial activism. The court does not have the authority to do this.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. It applies to both sides of the pond right now. The Elites vs the people.

This song is so fitting.
"Do You Hear the People Sing"
They will be hearing us one way or another.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Thanks for sharing this. It applies to both sides of the pond right now. The Elites vs the people.

This song is so fitting.
"Do You Hear the People Sing"
They will be hearing us one way or another.

Yeah, this is going to blow up big before too long. Frankly, it's about bloody time too.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

This is a victory for those who actually believe in parliamentaey democracy rather than the government being able to unilaterally make such decisions

Why is it ironic that it was a Ghanaian?

Oh and considering the recent murder of an MP your comment on firebombing is pretty poor taste.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

The Judge with years of legal training and experience seems to think they do.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Oh, no doubt about it, though the Libs and Labour lot are more vocal in their opposition to respecting the vote.

I thought you lot were saying Jeremy actually voted Leave?

I'm confident that this is the right decision anyways.

I'd like to know what brexit means.

I didn't vote Leave for your reasons and you didn't vote for mine...
Now it's up to our MPs to discover what majority of their constituents voted for.

Not to mention the irony of us finally having our own High courts make decisions for us now.
I voted for that.

Seems others just paid it lip service.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Where is your source for this, exactly?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

This is a victory for those who actually believe in parliamentaey democracy rather than the government being able to unilaterally make such decisions

Why is it ironic that it was a Ghanaian?

Oh and considering the recent murder of an MP your comment on firebombing is pretty poor taste.

The will of the people was demonstrated in the referendum. Anything that dilutes it can only be seen as an affront to democracy. Unless you are such a slave that you buy the lies the politicians peddle.

You either get irony or you don't.

Frankly, if MP's en mass choose to screw us over, they deserve what they get.
I can't say that Jo Cox deserved what she got, your comparison is understandable, but what else do you do with a tyrant? You overthrow them, if necessary using violent means.
If parliament goes against us on this, what is it other than tyranny?
edit on 33pThu, 03 Nov 2016 09:43:33 -050020162016-11-03T09:43:33-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Now it's up to our MPs to discover what majority of their constituents voted for.

Not to mention the irony of us finally having our own High courts make decisions for us now.
I voted for that.

I am pretty sure he did vote to leave, unlike the vast majority of the PLP which is one of his neverending problems, isn't it?

I voted to leave all the institutions of the EU and start again, afresh.

That is really the only reasonable interpretation of the question on the referendum. We should withdraw from everything, then have proper talks and debates about what the country may wish to sign up for (Market access for instance).

There wasn't a choice between in, out and half out in the referendum was there?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I voted for that.

I am pretty sure he did vote to leave, unlike the vast majority of the PLP which is one of his neverending problems, isn't it?

I voted to leave all the institutions of the EU and start again, afresh.

That is really the only reasonable interpretation of the question on the referendum. We should withdraw from everything, then have proper talks and debates about what the country may wish to sign up for (Market access for instance).

There wasn't a choice between in, out and half out in the referendum was there?

That's because the powers that be never expected Leave to win.
So the minutia of the details were irrelevant...

Now the questions need to be asked because Leave did win.

& like I said, we all voted Leave for different reasons...

Mine were borders, law & sovereignty.
Nothing else.

All this other stuff about the market wasn't really on my to do list.
I'd still like to keep the human rights and workers rights Laws without the majority government sh*tting on the people as I expect they would.

This is an important and necessary decision in my opinion.

Or we can expect decades of trade deals if we just leave.
That's not productive for the £ or the economy.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

really what you are talking about will not be resolved by this parliamentary vote. It will merely be a weakening of our negotiating position, the SNP and Lib Lab will all require us to agree to open borders and supremacy of EU courts again, in fact they will make us have all the rubbish of the EU (Including paying a fortune in fees) just to have no seat on the council.

That isn't what any single person who voted leave voted for is it?

Get real, this isn't a reasonable act, its an attempt to utterly torpedo the referendum result.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I say it again, this is a result of our representatives thinking they have the right to rule rather than actually represent us.

That's what is happening here in the states!

Our representatives have forgotten that the people are not subjects. We are citizens that put you in power temporarily to do OUR business.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Very true, and while we over here are subjects, we are subjects of the Queen, not subjects of the "Houses of Paedophiles".

edit on 19pThu, 03 Nov 2016 09:59:19 -050020162016-11-03T09:59:19-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: dodgy capitalisation

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Heres a thought....The court only has the power the people give it. So DO like we can in the US and use NULLIFICATION.
SCrew the EU. Stop dealing with them and just deal with Non EU members. Let em try to collect debts when they cannot enter the country anymore.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Get real, this isn't a reasonable act, its an attempt to utterly torpedo the referendum result.

Sounds like project fear.

The referendum won't be nullified no matter how much right wingers cry that it will.

require us to agree to open borders and supremacy of EU courts again, in fact they will make us have all the rubbish of the EU (Including paying a fortune in fees) just to have no seat on the council.

And your source for this is what, exactly?

The Express?
Tories?

Thin Air?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
To lighten the mood, here's my feelings using the medium of music.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join