It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Preparing For War With Russia? 300 Marines Deployed To Norway Near Russian Border

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

More than 300 Marines will be deployed to Norway along the Russian border as tensions between Moscow and Washington over conflicts in Ukraine and Syria have provoked new threats of sanctions and military upgrades. The deployment marks the first time a foreign military will be on the ground in Norway since World War II, according to Reuters.

The Marines will take part in training and manoeuvres in near Arctic conditions. They will be stationed at the Vaernes military base in central Norway about 600 miles from Russia and will "increase NATO’s ability to rapidly aggregate and employ forces in northern Europe," Major General Niel Nelson, commander of U.S. Marines in Europe, said Monday.
SOURCE

We're far beyond the stage of "only talk" about WW3 at this point. Meanwhile, in Russia...

Russia unveils 'Satan 2' missile powerful enough to 'wipe out UK, France or Texas'

If that's saber rattling, it's the biggest display of saber rattling in the history of mankind.

Putin dispatching NUCLEAR BATTLESHIPS to Baltic as NATO vows to defend its members

I don't know where the people are coming from who claim that they're sure all of this will come to nothing. Those people tend to make no argument beyond "there's too much to lose so therefore no one will do it." So was the Satan 2 missile just developed for laughs? Are foreign military on the ground in Norway for the first time since World War II for propaganda purposes? And the warnings coming daily from all sides such as the following, it's all talk isn't it?

US official: Russia might shoot down US aircraft in Syria
edit on 25-10-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Eh no. This is a yearly thing. Been going since the 80s.

During the 1980’s, MCMWTC became critically important due to the increased role of Marines in cold weather operations, research & development and operational doctrine. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization’s (NATO) commitment to the defense of northern Europe resulted in annual winter training exercise in Norway. The USMC routinely deployed to Norway with a regimental headquarters and an infantry battalion along with supporting aviation and logistics units. MCMWTC was the venue for preparing Marines for cold-weather operations prior to participating in NATO exercises. It was during this era that the Marine Corps addressed the inadequacies of the 1950s cold weather equipment and began modernization. MCMWTC’s training program also became formalized in the 1980s, resulting in USMC infantry battalions cycling through winter and summer training exercises as part of unit pre-deployment training. The MCMWTC Unit Training Section was established to execute the unit training program. Additionally, the individual training section was further refined, based on the United Kingdom Royal Marine program, and renamed the Mountain Leader Course (MLC). The MLC program produced instructor-qualified military mountaineers and returned them to the Marine Corps operational forces. MCMWTC also developed a mountain and cold-weather survival course and a cold-weather medicine course. The Cold-Weather Medicine course was unique within NATO forces and addressed the peculiar medical problems associated with mountain, high-altitude and cold-weather military operations.

Source

They were in Norway last year too.

Winter is coming, Marines. Members of 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade and Marine Corps Forces Europe joined Norwegian troops and 10 other militaries Tuesday to kick off the largest iteration of Exercise Cold Response ever. The 10-day exercise thrusts about 16,000 troops into grueling, subzero conditions to test their ability to move and fight together against a common enemy.

Source

I've been up their twice for arty drills in 2007 and 2008.
edit on 25-10-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

These forces could be equipped for going to actual war this time. Didn't Russia initiate a recall of certain citizens residing outside of the country last week? I remember reading this someplace.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Jokes and silliness aside, 300 Marines = Xerxes and the Persians are screwed!

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

And what exactly are 300 Marines going to do? I know Marines are regarded as an excellent fighting force, but seriously, 300 of them would last about 10 minutes.

The Russian "recall" was to get children of high ranking families home and out of foreign education systems.

It appears that the underlying reason behind the command is that the Russian government is concerned about the optics of having children of the Russian political elite being educated abroad, while their parents appear on television talking about patriotism and being "surrounded by enemies."

While we doubt the impacted children will be happy by this development, some of the more patriotic locals, if unimpacted, are delighted. Such as Vitaly Ivanov, a political scientist who believes that the measure to return children of officials from studying abroad, is "long overdue." According Ivanoc, the education of children of the Russian elite abroad is subject to constant ridicule and derision against the ruling regime. "People note the hypocrisy of having a centralized state and cultivating patriotism and anti-Western sentiment, while children of government workers study abroad. You can not serve two gods, one must choose."

www.zerohedge.com...
edit on 10/25/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

Dude, you need to shut up. Your propaganda does not fit the conspiracy theory of ATS... Deny ignorance remember? lol

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Whew.. That's a relief. As a kid, those drills where we had to go the bomb-shelter were always a bit scary. Thanx!

edit on 10/25/2016 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

300 mountaineering marines is a tiny infantry force. A couple birds and they are toast. When I went for arty drills we sent over a battalion of MLRS...

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Winter is coming, Marines. Members of 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade and Marine Corps Forces Europe joined Norwegian troops and 10 other militaries Tuesday to kick off the largest iteration of Exercise Cold Response ever. The 10-day exercise thrusts about 16,000 troops into grueling, subzero conditions to test their ability to move and fight together against a common enemy.

Source

I've been up their twice for arty drills in 2007 and 2008.

This time it's a "Marine Corps Rotational Force" being deployed.

The Marines will deploy for six months, with follow-on rotations to be determined, in a move designed to provide support and collaboration to NATO allies and a ready presence in case of crisis.
LINK

“The U.S. initiative to augment their training and exercises in Norway by locating a Marine Corps Rotational Force in Norway is highly welcome and will have positive implications for our already strong bilateral relationship,” Norwegian Defense Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide said in a statement Monday.
LINK

originally posted by: Orionx2

Dude, you need to shut up. Your propaganda does not fit the conspiracy theory of ATS... Deny ignorance remember? lol

The Marines will deploy for six months, with follow-on rotations to be determined, in a move designed to provide support and collaboration to NATO allies and a ready presence in case of crisis.
LINK

Are you still laughing now?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

NEVER! SCORCHED EARTH!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

a reply to: Orionx2

NEVER! SCORCHED EARTH!

HAHA... Just remember the Sun will eventually destroy Earth before it goes supernova. Is what it is.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Marine corps forces Europe has been tasked to the defense of northern europe since sometime in the 70`s as I recall,therefore this is not that unusual.As for Syria,there is no good reason to meddle.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Okay, but how is that any different or worse than us sending 18 MLRS to Norway almost yearly capable of striking into Russia?

An AUG force is just that an aug.
edit on 25-10-2016 by thesungod because: -that

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Proxy Wars are as far as the U.S. and Russia will escalate. Neither country will engage each other on the ground with an invasion force. Sure, planes/helicopters will get shot down and artillery will fly, but there will not be direct attacks by armies or invasion forces. All the Proxy Wars will be fought in the fringe/Proxy War countries that have already been established. Any direct invasion of a country other than Proxy War Stages would lead to nukes, and no one wants nukes flying. Ask yourself, after Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, and Ukraine, where is the next Proxy War Stage set? And by whom?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: thesungod

These forces could be equipped for going to actual war this time.

With only 300 Marines, it won't be a long war.
edit on 10/25/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
So Norway is refusing this refugee program overall, and thus Obama and Putin, are preparing for war right there.

Listen up creeps mismanaging our nations, GET OUT OF THAT AREA AND AWAY FROM NORWAY AND DON'T GO INTO WORK TOMORROW MR. OBAMA, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO MESS WITH ANYONE AT ALL, HERE OR IN THE MIDDLE, NOBODY.
edit on 25-10-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

300 Marines against something like 10 Russian Tank Divisions on the Boarder with Norway , and with Logistics on their side . Not a Good Place to be Jarheads.......

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

300 Marines against something like 10 Russian Tank Divisions on the Boarder with Norway , and with Logistics on their side . Not a Good Place to be Jarheads.......

It doesn't say 300 naked, defenseless Marines... I'm not a Marine, but I've known a few through the years. If I had to place bets, I'd take the 300 against whatever.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The way I see that is that now that there's an agreement between Norway and the U.S. for some Marines to be deployed in Norway, the number could be increased probably over a phone call (I may be exaggerating but I hope that gets the idea across).

The difficulty was surely agreeing to the terms of the deployment. Once that's out of the way, the number could go from 300 to 10,000 or more essentially overnight in my opinion. That's why I believe this is such a big deal.

If you read between the lines, I believe that kind of thing is what Russia is concerned about:

“Taking into account multiple statements made by Norwegian officials about the absence of threat from Russia to Norway, we would like to understand why Norway is so much willing to increase its military potential, in particular through the stationing of American forces in Vaernes," said Maxime Gourov, spokesman for the Russian embassy in Oslo, according to Agence France-Presse.
LINK

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

It doesn't matter. Three hundred Marines, against tank divisions, and the thousands of forces that Russia could bring to bear in the region aren't going to last long, no matter how they're armed. Yes, they're great fighters, but when you're talking about 300 of them, against armor, air, artillery, and infantry, they're still not going to be able to do a lot.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join