It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't think you realize just how bigoted your statement was.

Take some time to reflect on what you said in your first statement.

I do not see how in any way at all what my, or others religious preference has to do with whether or not you ask someone something.

Replace the words "southern baptist" with "Jew", "Muslim", and also try it out with skin color: "blacks", "hispanics", "Asians"....and then get back with me on how that statement you made should not be considered a rather bigoted one.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: intrepid

So now who is making stupid comparisons? You are comparing a person whose main claim to fame was as a musician/songwriter/performer to a person whose main claim to fame was fighting for the right to keep people enslaved.

Some of Davis' writings:

They see that the slaves in their present condition in the South are comfortable and happy; they see them advancing in intelligence; they see the kindest relations existing between them and their masters; they see them provided for in age and sickness, in infancy and in disability; they see them in useful employment, restrained from the vicious indulgences to which their inferior nature inclines them;they see our penitentiaries never filled, and our poor-houses usually empty. let them turn to the other hand, and they see the same race in a state of freedom in the North; but instead of the comfort and kindness they receive at the South, instead of being happy and useful, they are, with few exceptions, miserable, degraded, filling the penitentiaries and poor-houses, objects of scorn, excluded in some places from the schools, and deprived of many other privileges and benefits which attach to the white men among whom they live. And yet, they insist that elsewhere an institution which has proved beneficial to this race shall be abolished...

www.confederatepastpresent.org...:jefferson-daviss-white-supremacy-and-pro-slavery-in-his-memoirs -published-in-1881&catid=38:reconstruction-and-fusion

Now, considering blacks inferior was common at that time. Even Lincoln thought they were inferior, but he changed after speaking and meeting with former slaves who had gotten educations. He then realized that it was a huge mistake to assume they were an inferior race.Did Davis ever evolve his thinking? Doesn't appear he did from his memoirs written after the Civil War. He wanted to oppress a whole race "for their own good" (yeah right). He wanted it so bad that he wrote about it many times. He gave speeches about it. He fought for it. It was a MAJOR part of his life and ideology. He was a champion of the slave society.

so the criteria for you to accept a monument is that the person in question must have repented on his racists thoughts before death? is that about right? I wonder, is that just your feelings, or is that SJW wide?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

I do not see how in any way at all what my, or others religious preference has to do with whether or not you ask someone something.

Replace the words "southern baptist" with "Jew", "Muslim", and also try it out with skin color: "blacks", "hispanics", "Asians"....and then get back with me on how that statement you made should not be considered a rather bigoted one.

It is not bigoted. It's reality.

One of the most powerful political lobby's in America is the Christian Lobby. And guess which group is the most vocal among them.

Not Jews, not Muslims, not blacks, Asians, or other.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

It is not bigoted. It's reality.

One of the most powerful political lobby's in America is the Christian Lobby. And guess which group is the most vocal among them.

Not Jews, not Muslims, not blacks, Asians, or other.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: intrepid

How about something more in the realm of actual American history.

Like a comparison to Custer.

Freddie doesn't really have a lot to do with American history.

Ask a Southern Baptist his opinion on Freddie.

I can imagine.

Personally, I wouldn't ask a Southern Baptist anything. Not even about Elvis, who was American.

Its still a stretch to bring Freddie into American history.

Noted.

I'll make sure that if you ever do, that I pass it on to someone else.

smh sadly at some of the people's comments in this thread today.

You do know that, in part, Southern Baptists are descended from the original Puritans.

The ones who got booted out of England for trying to force their brand of Christianity as a Theocracy.

Nothings changed.

LOL, and all Chinese people are good at math. Black folks can't swim. I'd offer some information about generalization, stereotypes, and racism, but I think you have a good grasp on the subject matter.

You can keep YOUR words for yourself.

It is a fact some Puritans migrated south and helped start the Southern Baptist movement.

Are you going to claim they don't still want a Theocratic Government?

The Moral Majority was a prominent American political organization associated with the Christian right and Republican Party. It was founded in 1979 by Baptist minister Jerry Falwell and associates, and dissolved in the late 1980s. It played a key role in the mobilization of conservative Christians as a political force and particularly in Republican presidential victories throughout the 1980s. en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 19-9-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

How about something more in the realm of actual American history.

Like a comparison to Custer.

Freddie doesn't really have a lot to do with American history.

Ask a Southern Baptist his opinion on Freddie.

I can imagine.

Personally, I wouldn't ask a Southern Baptist anything. Not even about Elvis, who was American.

Its still a stretch to bring Freddie into American history.

Noted.

I'll make sure that if you ever do, that I pass it on to someone else.

smh sadly at some of the people's comments in this thread today.

You do know that, in part, Southern Baptists are descended from the original Puritans.

The ones who got booted out of England for trying to force their brand of Christianity as a Theocracy.

Nothings changed.

LOL, and all Chinese people are good at math. Black folks can't swim. I'd offer some information about generalization, stereotypes, and racism, but I think you have a good grasp on the subject matter.

You can keep YOUR words for yourself.

It is a fact some Puritans migrated south and helped start the Southern Baptist movement.

Are you going to claim they don't still want a Theocratic Government?

The Moral Majority was a prominent American political organization associated with the Christian right and Republican Party. It was founded in 1979 by Baptist minister Jerry Falwell and associates, and dissolved in the late 1980s. It played a key role in the mobilization of conservative Christians as a political force and particularly in Republican presidential victories throughout the 1980s. en.wikipedia.org...

Being in the south, I have the pleasure to know people of many faiths. I find that the southern Baptists I know are happy to know they love Jesus and seem like nice folks who would help you in any way they could. But then, I just live here, nobody taught me how evil they were beforehand.
edit on 19-9-2016 by network dude because: added thought

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Just stop...

I don't care who you want to talk with or associate with, or if you refuse to do so with groups of people based on their religion. Being a bigot is your own business.

But to then post about inclusion and make comments about other people being racist, thats truly a theater of the
absurd.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Just stop...

I don't care who you want to talk with or associate with, or if you refuse to do so with groups of people based on their religion. Being a bigot is your own business.

But to then post about inclusion and make comments about other people being racist, thats truly a theater of the
absurd.

Stop? Because you don't agree?

I'm not the one who brought it up.

Moving on now because I think its going off topic. Not because of you.

edit on 19-9-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

so the criteria for you to accept a monument is that the person in question must have repented on his racists thoughts before death? is that about right? I wonder, is that just your feelings, or is that SJW wide?

No, my criteria to accept a monument is for the person in question not to have been a public champion of the slave society.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I never said anything about guilt. I am saying to stop hero worshiping a man whose main claim to fame was that he was a champion of a slave society here in America.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

No, my criteria to accept a monument is for the person in question not to have been a public champion of the slave society.

Uh huh. But you're OK with this monument:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I never said anything about guilt. I am saying to stop hero worshiping a man whose main claim to fame was that he was a champion of a slave society here in America.

It WASN'T his "main claim to fame." It's ALL that you are focusing on.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

this is what is written on that particular monument.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing here.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

1. Not a champion of a slave society

2. Not a champion of disintegrating the union of the U.S. so he could have slaves

3. Did a good job of organizing and keeping the union together and cohesive

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The justification to rewrite history is astounding.

People wonder how it could ever happen.

I submit this thread as proof.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Yes it is. If he hadn't done it, he would have been just another southern politician. How many southern politicians from that time do you remember and why do you remember them?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think Washington was a hero for all the things he did, but to ignore the fact that he owned slaves is disingenuous.

Of the 317 slaves living at Mount Vernon in 1799, a little less than half (123 individuals) were owned by George Washington himself. Another 153 slaves at Mount Vernon in 1799 were dower slaves from the Custis estate. When Martha Washington's first husband, Daniel Parke Custis, died without a will in 1757, she received a life interest in one-third of his estate, including the slaves.
www.mountvernon.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Right. Slavery didn't happen, and if it did, it was because blacks deserved it or were too stupid to know how to do anything else. I keep forgetting. Thanks for reminding me.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Maybe not bigoted (that depends on your definition). But it is absolutely prejudiced against a protected class (religion)

Im not christian, and have lived in the national stronghold of Southern Baptists my entire life. Even with some of my less than savory experiences, I can see the prejudice in that comment about southern baptists.

You can't pick and choose your prejudices when you are so vocal about the subject. If you stand against prejudice and bigotry, then you stand against it. If not, then you don't. No harm/foul either way....but truth is still truth.
edit on 9/19/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

Right. Slavery didn't happen, and if it did, it was because blacks deserved it or were too stupid to know how to do anything else. I keep forgetting. Thanks for reminding me.

?

So that is your justification for rewriting or (whitewashing
) history?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join