It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

The north gave up slaves on their own by 1800. Why didn't the South do that?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: bonsaihorn
The Civil War wasn't even about slavery, in fact I would say slavery is the equivalent of terrorism now days. During the Civil War they wanted to suppress States' Rights but that wouldn't play well in the media so they made it about slavery.

Then why do the articles of secession from the Confederate states not mention state's rights at all but mention "slaves" and "slavery" over and over again?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Funny how the tax situation had been going on for a while, but states started seceding right after Lincoln got elected in 1860, with his platform of stopping the expansion of slavery.

That was a small part of his platform.

cprr.org...

Also looks like he broke one of his promises:

4. That the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the states, and especially the right of each state, to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depends, and we denounce the lawless invasion by armed force of the soil of any state or territory, no matter under what pretext, as among the gravest of crimes.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It wasn't considered small to the South.

And he didn't break this promise:

That the maintenance of the principles promulgated in the Declaration of Independence and embodied in the Federal Constitution, "That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed," is essential to the preservation of our Republican institutions; and that the Federal Constitution, the rights of the states, and the Union of the states, must and shall be preserved.

edit on 19-9-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I can't wait till they want to rename Washington.

He had slaves, too.

Why don't we just rename the USA, New Africa?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The Declaration was written 80 years before BY slave owners(Were slaves included in "all men"? No.). You are mishmashing history to make a point. The point fails.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The Northern States abolished slavery because their religion inclinations of the people at the time dictated that it was wrong to own people, even if they were barely considered people. This meant that Northerners paid for labor and that made them unable to compete in the market with the South.

The North was beginning to industrialize however and that enticed Southern business because of bigger, better, faster farming equipment, milling as well as guns, cannons etc. Northerners however still couldn't compete with free labor and started to refuse to do business with Southerners if they owned slaves.

The Civil War began as a trade war well before Abraham Lincoln was elected and then he made it a moral issue even if hypocritically.
edit on 9/19/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The north gave up slaves on their own by 1800. Why didn't the South do that?

Because they didnt have issues with finding labor anymore.MEchanization helped alot. They didnt give them up for any moral reasons because if the south would had kept paying the norths unfair taxes they would had let it continue.

At the time it was still constitutional. And Intrepids right. the declaration apparently didnt include the slaves when it was written otherwise there would had been none after. They werent considered men by the founding fathers at that time.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I agree. Changing road names, meh - whatever to me.

But why the monument? Not sure if you have seen it, but I used to live in Mount Vernon, VA and drove by this statue often on my commute or to hit up bars in Old Town.

It is a statue of a lone confederate soldier facing due-south, with his cover removed and his head bowed with his palm on his forehead / eyes. Evokes grief over brothers in arms lost, and for me personally somber regret that a such a war was fought among former friends and countrymen...

I don't see any reason why the monument should be changed / removed / moved. Even the folks who demonize the south's role in the war could interpret the posture of the soldier in the statue as one of shame.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

a reply to: Grambler

No, you equate Hitler with Gandhi.

Right, to point out how ridiculous you look equating Davis to Hitler.

Or don't you feel Ghandis racism was bad? You wouldn't want people to think you are a racist, would you?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm talking about Lincoln.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The Northern States abolished slavery because their religion inclinations of the people at the time dictated that it was wrong to own people, even if they were barely considered people. This meant that Northerners paid for labor and that made them unable to compete in the market with the South.

The North was beginning to industrialize however and that enticed Southern business because of bigger, better, faster farming equipment, milling as well as guns, cannons etc. Northerners however still couldn't compete with free labor and started to refuse to do business with Southerners if they owned slaves.

The Civil War began as a trade war well before Abraham Lincoln was elected and then he made it a moral issue even if hypocritically.

Slavery was on its way out in the south. No war was needed with the inventions you reference. It was cheaper to run a cotton gin than it was to keep slaves. And The south paid to feed their slaves so it wasnt free labor so to speak.
Lincoln was in the pocket of his backers.

Also Northerners DIDNT PRODUCE THE GOODS THE SOUTH DID. SO where was the competition? I didnt know the north produced cotton or tobacco. I didnt know the north had a huge farming industry.(sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Yes, and you along with your army of SJW's can hope all inconvenient history is boxed up and hidden in some museum all you like. But keep in mind, there are still just a few folks left who aren't brain dead and still understand historical significance. It's sad to see stupidity embraced on this level. But, like I predicted, it only takes a few tears to wipe away history.

Maybe we should look forward instead of backward.

Maybe we should celebrate change for equality and inclusion.

No one is going to forget the Civil War because a few signs are changed or statues rendered no longer relevant in today's world.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

We need to remember not memorialize the guilty or wax nostalgic about the old South. Leave the memorials or take them down, it doesn't personally affect me or bother me. However, I can certainly understand why people take issue with the glorification of the defenders of slavery... especially if they're tax-payer funded.

So you are in favor of spending more money (tax payer money) to remove these things and change street names to make a few SJW's happy? Double standard much?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

To understand the horrors of war, the stupidity of killing over ideals, the sad fact that some used to think blacks were sub human and deserved to be owned are just a few things that we don't need to forget, we need to be reminded of were we were and where we are now. Trying to placate the fragile feelings of the few will not help the masses.

In that day and age, it was part of the culture. Just the same as things you see as granted rights when being born instead of the privilege a citizenship carries. Become a vegetarian first and i will believe every word you say..

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

No one is going to forget the Civil War because a few signs are changed or statues rendered no longer relevant in today's world.

What does celebrating change for equality and inclusion mean? Inclusion of skin color, gender, ideology, religion, etc. All or none of these?

Is BLM a change for equality? Are campuses where white privilege is demonized as the root of all problems about inclusion?

Should we celebrate including people that feel the federal government in encroaching on them? Should we include people that feel gender is real, and that we should have separate restrooms? Should we celebrate people who claim half of all of the people that vote against them are racist depolrables?

I think what you really mean to say is we should celebrate the things you like, and not the things you don't.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Gandhi did way more good than he ever did bad. His main claim to fame was peaceful protest for India's right to be independent of British rule. MLK did way more good than he ever did bad. His main claim to fame was peaceful protest for blacks' civil rights.

Hitler did way more bad than he ever did good. His main claim to fame was authorizing the killing of 6 million Jews.

How much good did Jefferson Davis do? He fought for states freedom to keep slaves. He was a champion of a slave society. That is his main claim to fame.

On February 9, a constitutional convention met at Montgomery, Alabama and considered Davis and Robert Toombs of Georgia as a possible president. Davis, who had widespread support from six of the seven states, easily won. He was seen as the "champion of a slave society and embodied the values of the planter class," and was elected provisional Confederate President by acclamation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

I can't wait till they want to rename Washington.

He had slaves, too.

Why don't we just rename the USA, New Africa?

The very foundation of this nation was built by slaves. Everything that we have been able to achieve is based on an unpaid debt for services rendered by Africans who did not volunteer but were forced as if they were livestock to build, cultivate, plant, reap, breed only to have their babies ripped away, their wives or husbands ripped away, their culture ripped away and once freed disallowed to assimilate as you lot think should be done now so you spit on the emerging (yes still emerging all these years later) culture they built literally from dirt because their ancestors couldn't afford passage back to Africa and even those that could were turned down and they never got their 40 acres and a mule either. They were sent off to starve out of sight but they survived. Now you sit there all smug and arrogant acting like there's no legitimacy to their gripe.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: network dude

Yes, and you along with your army of SJW's can hope all inconvenient history is boxed up and hidden in some museum all you like. But keep in mind, there are still just a few folks left who aren't brain dead and still understand historical significance. It's sad to see stupidity embraced on this level. But, like I predicted, it only takes a few tears to wipe away history.

Maybe we should tell those few crybabies to suck it up and go find something productive to do. having a few pinheads dictate how the majority should do things is quite ignorant. And as long as they are getting away with it, and others give them attention, it will continue.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Don't forget the Chinese. We whites are so benevolent.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join