It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
you want some history. I had a business on Martin Luther King Street it was also a state highway. I had it about a year and most of my business should be out of town tourist. When I changed the address to the state highway in all of my advertising, web and facebook my business increased nearly 50% each year for the next 3 years.

Their was no MLK signs anyway only state highway. I sold it they changed the address back and within 2 years the place closed. Related ??? A friend with a restaurant did the same and his business doubled in 2 years.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: intrepid

1. Not a champion of a slave society

2. Not a champion of disintegrating the union of the U.S. so he could have slaves

3. Did a good job of organizing and keeping the union together and cohesive

1.As long as the North was making money from the south and they did as they told he was fine with slavery(his diaries are a good read)

2. According to the constitution it was not his call if the states decided to leave(pre civil war and the nerfing of the 10th amendment by a corrupt supreme court and not counting souther states votes against in congress and senate)

3. Broke the law 11 different times to keep control of his cash cow the south. It was not for Patriotism. Also the South wanted to keep a mutual defense pact to Protect the seperate countries as one but lincoln refused that because he was a greedy jerk who had to have things his way.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I like your boss. We have that in common. Only a animal loses their composure when stabbing someone. BEcause whats life if you cant have a smile on your face?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: network dude

I'm confused. What part of renaming a highway and removing a statue causes schools and universities to stop teaching history, causes Civil War historians to pursue other careers, libraries to stop stocking history books, or the internet to be purged of historical content?

can you pint out where I said those thing were happening? I did happen to realize that some of the things you and other assured me of would NEVER happen, are happening, much like I predicted, so there is that. But once the statue is moved, and the names are changed, those triggered SJW's can move unhampered through their city. Until the next event.........

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I'm confused. What part of renaming a highway and removing a statue causes schools and universities to stop teaching history, causes Civil War historians to pursue other careers, libraries to stop stocking history books, or the internet to be purged of historical content?

can you pint out where I said those thing were happening?

Well your hyperbolic thread seems to suggest that when those two things happen suddenly ALL sources of history will disappear and we will all forget about it.

did happen to realize that some of the things you and other assured me of would NEVER happen, are happening, much like I predicted, so there is that.

I did this did I? I think I've pretty much always been for tearing down monuments to the Confederacy. I have no problems keeping this # in museums or studying it for intellectual purposes (as it should be), but honoring it with monuments has always been a terrible idea. Even ignoring the blatant racist reasons not to like the Confederacy, at the core of the movement is a bunch of traitors to the American government. Why should they be honored for being un-American?

But once the statue is moved, and the names are changed, those triggered SJW's can move unhampered through their city.

What the hell is this supposed to mean?
edit on 20-9-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

But once the statue is moved, and the names are changed, those triggered SJW's can move unhampered through their city.

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

Well, since you asked,
SJW's are militant liberals who have no ability to mind their own business and need to constantly stick their pointy noses into other peoples affairs. They manufacture outrage and wave their hands until they are given the attention their mommies didn't give them. They do things like protest a statue that was built to commemorate the fallen soldiers from their brothers in arms. It's become a movement, it's quite a surprise you haven't heard of it.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Sounds like a right wing concocted bogeyman to me. Well be sure to check under your bed and in your closet at night for the evil "SJW's". Can't have them jumping out in the middle of the night and force you to be socially informed or anything.
edit on 20-9-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

don't worry a bit. I can spot them a ways off and I usually laugh and laugh at their blind stupidity.
It's really nice to have folks that just make you smile.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The poster who said we shouldn't make a monument to Hitler just because he saved Germany's economy was right. Even if someone did many great things in their life and a monument is standing for those things only, you still cannot ignore the bad things they did. If those bad things are vile enough, you cannot allow the good things to stand. Why? Because we have to set an example. Just like we don't negotiate with terrorists, we don't negotiate with people who do wrong. A zero tolerance policy IF the wrongs are wrong enough. What's wrong enough? As a society we have to arrive at an agreement.

Look at any bad person in history. There're many things you can find about them which might be good. But that's not how we remember them. We do that for a reason. Bad people don't get a free pass if they did some good. If you rob a bank, should the judge deem you innocent if you found hte cure to cancer? No. Zero tolerance to crime means not favoring some over others. And some people commit crimes which can never be repaid through limited sentences. This is why some have life sentences or are executed. We can never forgive Hitler, for example. Hitler will never repay his crimes.
edit on 9/20/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I think that things like this have a more in depth undercurrent than simply "SJWs run amok."

One of the foundations of the programming is instilling an inability to have any "respect" for anyone that goes against the grain of the narrative, in any way. An important factor in maintaining this is to also embed a feeling of superiority by proxy of perceived innovation and progress.

This allows for movement in the social group along the same lines as any other in history, but it will be seen as, essentially, fresh and new progress. Usually, this includes "approved groups" and "enemy groups."

The former is to be protected and defended at all costs, under the banners of anti-prejudice, anti-bigotry, anti-hate, etc. The latter, of course, are not only acceptable targets of prejudice, bigotry, and hate, but such behavior and thinking is strongly encouraged.

By removing obvious connections to the wrongs of the past, it changes the frame of context on modern "injustices." Meaning, it allows otherwise specious events to be viewed as more significant than they really are in the context of history. In the modern frame of these social conflicts, this is the foundation that leads to the dissonance that would otherwise appear as hypocrisy.

In this way, removing current events from a historical context, alongside social manipulation, leads to a social environment ripe for direction. And that direction is simply wherever they are wanted to focus, typically something to advance a new narrative facet or further embed ones that already exist.

Currently, it may be most strongly present in the "left," but we are all being molded into social combatants. As the conflict deepens (and it will), the programming is such that it only serves to confirm the behavior and further strengthen the neurological connections.

The first goal is to separate groups to the point where the "enemy" is seen to live outside of reality. Justifying extreme actions in order to correct what is seen as dangerously divergent "anomalies."

For many, it might seem like an excessive analysis. In fact, the machinations of this manipulative system rely on that reaction. But, it is all predicated on applying modern knowledge and tools to the age old practice of giving bread to eat and a circus to watch.

We are all being played by forcing our hands to either support or fight against trivial matters. Even important matters are framed in the most trivial, divisive way possible in order to set a precedent for future events.

I'm not sure we can stop it at this point.. Many already view reality as propaganda, and propaganda as reality. But awareness is still important, in my opinion, in a "game" that runs deeper and longer than most can imagine.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

wow, that's a quite elegant and well thought out post. without delving too deep into the human psyche, I think that the southern towns that have a heritage of civil war nostalgia should be allowed to keep the landmarks they have had for decades. Even if some SJW feels offended by the sight of it. It's history and it belongs to the people who wish to commemorate their fallen.

In the past, people were smart enough to say "hey, I don't like that, so I'll move somewhere where I feel more comfortable", now that same mindset has changed to "Hey, I don't like that, everyone should stop what they are doing and make me feel more loved, I think I need a safe space now". And I don't have a second of time for the latter.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

we negotiate with terrorist now so......

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Because more times than not, history is being used as a weapon against certian people: See 9/11, pearl harbour, holocaust, Slavery, Hollywood loves to glorify slavery times and calling black people N***** in movies, but then turn around and say the word is wrong mockingly.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Well, thank you
I have made a not so insignificant number of posts like that, especially recently, even though I suspect most will skip them due to length. They all tie together, but don't even begin to scratch the surface.

I think it boils down to the idea that social conflicts that appear straightforward are actually driven by very complex, intentional forces.

I don't know why it is so difficult to consider that, perhaps, the key to the next step of our social evolution is learning how to live alongside others with vastly different views productively and without conversion. But it is.

I mean, there is so much more to a monument like this than whether or not the man was a "slaver." But, in order to maintain coherence and the least amount of dissonance, these factors must be minimized to the point of non-existence. So, there is no compromise, or understanding. Individuals are programmed to view it all under the parameters of slavery, and "slavery is wrong."

Then, when someone like you or me tries to do more with the conversation, we are seen as pro-slavery, essentially. This jump is critical to maintaining coherence and consistency to the social group. It is no coincidence that it also allows for near total manipulation.

By erasing and rewriting history under this framework, it not only serves to deepen the neurological connections here and now, but creates a foundation for it to embed even more deeply over generations.

This process COULD be used in beneficial ways, that benefit even the programmers significantly more than the current approach. But, it has the tendency to bite the hand that feeds it. Meaning, those who feel they are immune (due to being the programmer, or any other reason), are actually the most susceptible.

I truly believe our species is in real trouble, and events like your OP are simply indicators of social manipulation as a runaway freight train.

The left was the initial target, because we tend to be the most open to change. But, I don't believe the full repercussions were understood and now its just an attempt to herd cats while playing with a bonfire.

Seemingly, its not so hard to understand that just because someone views this statue as injustice incarnate, it may mean something very different to someone else. But, the programming dictates taking it so much further, wherein the person/people who see it differently are labelled in the narrowest context imaginable.

On this topic, just because someone has experienced injustice and are black, does not mean they experienced that injustice because they are black. But, that is exactly how many have been programmed to react, and the war waged on monuments like this only serve to strengthen that mentality here and now. Even more concerning, it changes the context for future generations to define it and perceive it in with even less context.

We can change this, but the first step is making an effort to live and thrive alongside even polar opposite perspectives, rather than spending all of our time trying to convert or erase.

In my opinion, that is exactly what our nation was founded to accomplish. Not as one borg-like undulating blob of a hive, but many disparate perspectives that are unified in the goal to build something the world hasn't seen before. A place that learns and grows from its mistakes in that journey, and a place that can recognize nuanced things of value even if they come from the darkest reaches of humanity. A place that never forgets our mistakes and always celebrates our successes, in equal measure and regardless of the source or how intertwined the two may be.

A monument/memorial like this can stand for many things to many people, a vast spectrum of perspective, but it needs to remain standing to do that.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join