It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: kaylaluv

Yes, and you along with your army of SJW's can hope all inconvenient history is boxed up and hidden in some museum all you like. But keep in mind, there are still just a few folks left who aren't brain dead and still understand historical significance. It's sad to see stupidity embraced on this level. But, like I predicted, it only takes a few tears to wipe away history.

Maybe we should look forward instead of backward.

Maybe we should celebrate change for equality and inclusion.

No one is going to forget the Civil War because a few signs are changed or statues rendered no longer relevant in today's world.

Maybe we should tell those few crybabies to suck it up and go find something productive to do. having a few pinheads dictate how the majority should do things is quite ignorant. And as long as they are getting away with it, and others give them attention, it will continue.

Which crybabies?

The ones holding on to antiquated ideas or those who choose to move forward and celebrate new people affecting evolution of America.

Then rally the troops of SJW's to protest and have everyone else jump to do their bidding.

Yes, because being accepting of all people and treating them with equality/equal rights is such a horrible thing.

At 70 I lived before Fair Housing, Disability Act, Civil Rights, Women's Rights, EOE/EOC, LGBT Rights, Non-Bullying in schools, and a few more.

It sucked.

I'm very supportive of replacing old with new and what's currently relevant. Enough with White Male History.

I don't understand. You speak of history, yet you actively are engaged in trying to erase it. Would the world of today even have been possible without all the mistakes of yesterday?

We aren't born with divine knowledge, we have to learn things along the way.

You don't erase history. It happened. It's recorded in history books.

But, we do progress and do not need the negative aspects shoved in our faces by memorials that are of another time promoting oppression.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: network dude

We don't learn by continuing to respect, admire and memorialize those who oppressed others.

IDK where respect and admire come into it but remembering seems damn important to me. And you are just taking a small aspect of the man, slavery, to paint him. As you have used a small part of Lincoln's platform, slavery, to define that man. Doesn't work. Should we remove Freddie's statue:

... because he was a gay man that died of AIDS and that's abhorrent to some Christians? Freddie was more than just a gay man.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
AND if ya'll are so up in arms about slavery, do something then. Donate to Black charities. Volunteer with the NAACP. Posting your displeasure about something over 150 years old to show how enlightened you are, and better than your predecessors, is quite literally the least you can. do.

I accept what my ancestors did. Not going to forget it it but I am NOT going to accept any guilt over it.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

How about something more in the realm of actual American history.

Like a comparison to Custer.

Freddie doesn't really have a lot to do with American history.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think they should erect a huge statue of George zimmerman in every ghetto and black community for #s and giggles .

link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I think they should erect a huge statue of George zimmerman in every ghetto and black community for #s and giggles .

Now that's a scary thought.

link   

Ask a Southern Baptist his opinion on Freddie.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Posting your displeasure about something over 150 years old to show how enlightened you are, and better than your predecessors, is quite literally the least you can. do.

150 years.

Yeah, that's relevant to today.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Ugh white guilt again? Guilt isn't the motivator here and please don't lose sight of the OP. The OP was a complaint about the removal of memorials (that are under the curatorship of the tax payers and public) by the elected City Council of Alexandria, Virginia.

We didn't start the bitch fest. Some of us disagree that removing them erases history and empathize with reasoning of such a decision.
edit on 9/19/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I can imagine.

Personally, I wouldn't ask a Southern Baptist anything. Not even about Elvis, who was American.

Its still a stretch to bring Freddie into American history.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I haven't accused one single person in this thread of racism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

lying is an art. but for some, it's just a way of life.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Posting your displeasure about something over 150 years old to show how enlightened you are, and better than your predecessors, is quite literally the least you can. do.

150 years.

Yeah, that's relevant to today.

Then why the beaking if it isn't relevant?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I haven't accused one single person in this thread of racism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

lying is an art. but for some, it's just a way of life.

That is not an accusation of racism.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: network dude

I find it ironic that people like you want to keep memorializing slave owners, but when African Americans keep talking about slavery, the response is always "that happened a long time ago - forget it and move on".

There is a diffrence between statues and the black community blamming there own poverty , crime and failure in life on what happened 150 years ago.

There problems today are there own doing no one else's, hence why people get sick of them bringing slavery up as a excuse for there on lifes failings.

Hell if anything they should be thankfull there ancestors were brought to the states.

Sure there ancestors had a terrible time. But without that original crime many in the black community would not have had the privilege of being born into a western society, instead being born into some failed african state. Of course if they haven't taken advantages of the opportunitys being born in the west gives.....well again thats there own bloody fault.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

There are people that look like you and me that think of people of African descent as inferior? yeah, thats true, there are somer of them. There are also some people from African descendants that hate white people. Why only bring up racist of one color?

I have empathy for slaves. I continue for have empathy for slaves that exists today all over the world, yet many of the same people focused on how racist this countries history was tell me that I can't criticize the cultures that have actual slavery continuing today (go figure).

The founding fathers may have owned slaves, but they set up a system to make us all equal. The country that they founded and laid the framework for is one of the least racist and most open society in the history of the world.

You are the one that was "ranting" about how our country was founded on the backs of slaves, without mentioning any context, such as almost all countries having a history of slavery.

I have no white guilt. I will treat all people based on their character rather than their color. I understand that some people get offended by the actions of historical figures, I just think that to picj and chose to eliminate the memorializing of some of them is ridiculous.

I think Mohammed Ali said some very vile things about not wanting whites and blacks to mix, yet did I run around demanding that no one celebrate his death, or that any on the memorials to him be removed? No, because I realize he was important to many people.

Where is your empathy for the poor confederate soldiers that died that never owned slaves, or their descendants? Are they not worthy of empathy, do their opinions not matter?
edit on 19-9-2016 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Sure there ancestors had a terrible time. But without that original crime many in the black community would not have had the privilege of being born into a western society, instead being born into some failed african state. Of course if they haven't taken advantages of the opportunitys being born in the west gives.....well again thats there own bloody fault.

I kind of agree with that, because I'm a major proponent of Personal Responsibility.

But, the law was against them. That wasn't exactly their choice.

However, TODAY - - - black's need to do something about the "Gansta" culture. About the "Oreo" culture that if you try to better yourself you're caving to the Whites.

It is THEIR responsibility to do something progressive about it - - - that isn't about blaming others.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I can imagine.

Personally, I wouldn't ask a Southern Baptist anything. Not even about Elvis, who was American.

Noted.

I'll make sure that if you ever do, that I pass it on to someone else.

smh sadly at some of the people's comments in this thread today.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

I can imagine.

Noted.

You do know that, in part, Southern Baptists are descended from the original Puritans.

The ones who got booted out of England for trying to force their brand of Christianity as a Theocracy.

Nothings changed.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

So now who is making stupid comparisons? You are comparing a person whose main claim to fame was as a musician/songwriter/performer to a person whose main claim to fame was fighting for the right to keep people enslaved.

Some of Davis' writings:

They see that the slaves in their present condition in the South are comfortable and happy; they see them advancing in intelligence; they see the kindest relations existing between them and their masters; they see them provided for in age and sickness, in infancy and in disability; they see them in useful employment, restrained from the vicious indulgences to which their inferior nature inclines them;they see our penitentiaries never filled, and our poor-houses usually empty. let them turn to the other hand, and they see the same race in a state of freedom in the North; but instead of the comfort and kindness they receive at the South, instead of being happy and useful, they are, with few exceptions, miserable, degraded, filling the penitentiaries and poor-houses, objects of scorn, excluded in some places from the schools, and deprived of many other privileges and benefits which attach to the white men among whom they live. And yet, they insist that elsewhere an institution which has proved beneficial to this race shall be abolished...

www.confederatepastpresent.org...:jefferson-daviss-white-supremacy-and-pro-slavery-in-his-memoirs -published-in-1881&catid=38:reconstruction-and-fusion

Now, considering blacks inferior was common at that time. Even Lincoln thought they were inferior, but he changed after speaking and meeting with former slaves who had gotten educations. He then realized that it was a huge mistake to assume they were an inferior race. Did Davis ever evolve his thinking? Doesn't appear he did from his memoirs written after the Civil War. He wanted to oppress a whole race "for their own good" (yeah right). He wanted it so bad that he wrote about it many times. He gave speeches about it. He fought for it. It was a MAJOR part of his life and ideology. He was a champion of the slave society.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

I can imagine.

Noted.

You do know that, in part, Southern Baptists are descended from the original Puritans.

The ones who got booted out of England for trying to force their brand of Christianity as a Theocracy.

Nothings changed.

LOL, and all Chinese people are good at math. Black folks can't swim. I'd offer some information about generalization, stereotypes, and racism, but I think you have a good grasp on the subject matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join