It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Not To Fix Inner-City Gun Violence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Chicago is the HOME of the Latin Kings? No.

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
en.wikipedia.org...(gang)

The Almighty Latin King and Queen Nation (ALKQN, ALKN, LKN) is a large Hispanic street gang in the United States of America.[1][2][3] Its roots date to 1954 in Chicago, Illinois, where it developed in the Puerto Rican and Mexican community, which had expanded during a period of increased migration to the mainland, in modern times, having great influence in Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, and regions in Brazil.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
A great video by Colion. For those that don't know, he is not just spokesperson for the NRA, he holds a law degree too.

I agree with everything he said.

Any person that supports more gun laws should watch this.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
That video showed me that gangs are the problem, not the laws that are being rammed down peoples throat.

Yes, and the great majority of a gangs purpose for existing is to sell drugs and provide an army to protect their territory upon which they retain the exclusive right to sell drugs. Legalize drugs, and the "drug problem", at worst, will stay the same as it is now. The violence associated with drug debts, drug deals gone bad, fighting over drug turf, eliminating competition, etc, goes away. Along with probably over 90% of gangs and gang members themselves because over 90% (my estimation) of their reason to exist and ability to maintain itself financially and the activity they participate in has disappeared.

Not to mention all the problems with the cartels. Don't people realize that the prohibition of drugs is what caused the explosive growth of gangs and all the associated violence, as well as creating cartels with a larger income than most nations on the globe? (apparently from what ive heard, the US cannot even compete with them, although im not sure exactly what that means. I think it means that the portion of our budget directed to the War On Drugs is peanuts compared to what the cartels can afford to spend ensuring their business remains in operation and profitable)

Legalize prostitution, for adults only of course, and there goes probably another 9% of it.

I dont pretend to know everything, but, come on, its obvious their main purpose for existing is to sell drugs, which is also their main way of maintaining themselves financially. Its how they can afford to not have jobs and hang out all day causing trouble when they get bored.

The main thing after the dismantling of gangs will beto find other ways to stimulate the minds of all these ex gang members in a productive way, and to find the right people who can communicate with them to build bridges and extend these opportunities and ideas to them in a way that will successfully attract their attention.

As it is now, it is nearly impossible to distract someone whos attention is focused on the prospect of making piles and stacks of money. But once that opportunity is taken away, they will have to find other ways to use their talents to survive, and other ways to express themselves. We want to ensure those ways are constructive, and not destructive.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: cenpuppie
That video showed me that gangs are the problem, not the laws that are being rammed down peoples throat.

Yes, and the great majority of a gangs purpose for existing is to sell drugs and provide an army to protect their territory upon which they retain the exclusive right to sell drugs. Legalize drugs, and the "drug problem", at worst, will stay the same as it is now. The violence associated with drug debts, drug deals gone bad, fighting over drug turf, eliminating competition, etc, goes away. Along with probably over 90% of gangs and gang members themselves because over 90% (my estimation) of their reason to exist and ability to maintain itself financially and the activity they participate in has disappeared.

Not to mention all the problems with the cartels. Don't people realize that the prohibition of drugs is what caused the explosive growth of gangs and all the associated violence, as well as creating cartels with a larger income than most nations on the globe? (apparently from what ive heard, the US cannot even compete with them, although im not sure exactly what that means. I think it means that the portion of our budget directed to the War On Drugs is peanuts compared to what the cartels can afford to spend ensuring their business remains in operation and profitable)

Legalize prostitution, for adults only of course, and there goes probably another 9% of it.

I dont pretend to know everything, but, come on, its obvious their main purpose for existing is to sell drugs, which is also their main way of maintaining themselves financially. Its how they can afford to not have jobs and hang out all day causing trouble when they get bored.

The main thing after the dismantling of gangs will beto find other ways to stimulate the minds of all these ex gang members in a productive way, and to find the right people who can communicate with them to build bridges and extend these opportunities and ideas to them in a way that will successfully attract their attention.

As it is now, it is nearly impossible to distract someone whos attention is focused on the prospect of making piles and stacks of money. But once that opportunity is taken away, they will have to find other ways to use their talents to survive, and other ways to express themselves. We want to ensure those ways are constructive, and not destructive.

Well written and I can't say I disagree with you.. I have never been a druggie unless it was over the counter pain med or something... I was lucky growing up and playing in some pretty good bands... I got out of music and flew aircraft where my friends who stayed in music are ALL dead now... No it was not the music or being up every night (did contribute IMO) but the drugs that did them in.. Now having said that ....once someone chooses to cross the line of legal and illegal they seem to always be looking over their shoulder to see if there is a snitch or is someone plotting their capture... Many druggies sell drugs to support their habit...Or used to according to high school students who got busted.. So yes long story short as far as I am concerned legalize and let natural selection run its' course.. "What about the children"? Natural selection can be a cruel task master if the child is not brought up correctly; an even then there are those who choose "way to young" to walk their own path....

Prostitution goes on in every country of the world by those at the top of the food chain.. Legalize it and get the pimps out of the woman's business and life..... have regular health checkups and education on disease for those who chose to sell sexual favors.. But I am not in charge and the billions of dollars spent and all the jobs involved to enforce prohibition not to mention some black Ops outfit getting their fair share of the proceeds ... Other than weed, I can't see any of it happening in my life time.. My crystal ball may be off though ?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Gangs serve two functions as they stand:

1.) They are organized crime for drug and other criminal activities.

2.) They are the father figure and structure for fatherless kids.

You can alleviate some of the reason for #1 with some legalization, but realistically speaking, are you really willing to fully legalize all drugs? I might be willing to entertain it, but I don't want to subsidize legalized addictions. In other words, I want drug testing for any public assistance or a dramatic re-working of what qualifies a person for public assistance. Do you really want a bunch of people legally hooked on legal drugs rotting away on public assistance where the state then becomes the enabler?

The other issue is that ending Prohibition did curtail the Mafia, but it simply shifted its business models. The Mafia still exists and is still a problem. Ever hear of the Gottis?

So you can't simply expect that legalizing drugs will end gangs, especially without tackling problem #2 in some way, as the other reason why kids join gangs still exists.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

a reply to: 727Sky

A snowflake seizure? I wouldn't have one. but you just stopped me from watching the video. You pre-biased your own source.

That's a shame.

You could have developed an educated opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are exactly right about #2....

When I was a teenager Saginaw,Mi was in the throws of a major gang problem...Even though I was a white girl I ended up right in middle hanging out with a Mexican Gang that also got its start in Chicago..

While I never committed a crime many around me did and went off to jail or prison...or to the morgue.

I can tell you from what I witnessed less than a handful had fathers.There were many cousins, some uncles but few dads.

The gang taught that they always had each others back~always..A lot them with no dads and moms always working to put food on the table felt no one had their backs.So it drew them to the gangs, they felt someone was there for them~always... They will always find a way to make money but until other issues are addressed gangs will never go away..

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

A snowflake seizure? I wouldn't have one. but you just stopped me from watching the video. You pre-biased your own source.

TLDR: More gun control is meaningless because the city refuses to enforce the laws that already exist. Of course there is more to the video than that but it's only 4 minutes if you're interested in this person's opinion.

The term "NRA" is mentioned once. The sentence is

You need people like me, a gun owner and NRA member, so you can point your finger and say "that's the bad guy"

Unless I misheard something, there is no mention of the Latin Kings specifically.

So I'm not sure why OP thinks anyone would be triggered by that. However, there are facts in this video that might trigger modern liberals, so you may avoid this video for that reason.
edit on 31-7-2016 by ScriptedSociety because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

If you're not commenting on the video, why are you in this thread?

Don't you get tired of hijacking every thread?

Yeah, great question. Jumps on to a thread, reads a summary, then posts why they will not listen to it. All I can say is this is exactly the kind of person that is why this country is in such a mess. If I hear another person posit that banning guns will solve gun control, I'll explode.

Banning anything only creates a black market, which is then populated by a criminal element. We are STILL, TO THIS DAY, trying to get rid of the criminal element that was created when we banned alcohol. I find it ironic that the place where the alcohol violence was WORST, is not the area where the most gun violence occurs.

Look what the drug banning has done to the world. It's a humongous fraud. If you read Operation Gladio, or do a web search on 'mena airport bush clinton cia', or read about Gary Webb, who was murdered by the CIA, you will realize that the CIA is the largest trafficker in illegal drugs in the world today. This is laid out in all the above books, and proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, people don't read books anymore. And the thing about books is that if you lie in one, you WILL get sued. And these authors have never, to a man, been sued. They've been threatened, had their families threatened, and in the cases of Gary Webb, Danny Casolaro, Gary Caradori and countless other investigators, been murdered. But never sued.

In Portugal, about 5 years ago, they legalized ALL drugs. And guess what? Five years later, and drug use has decreased, crime has decreased precipitously, and the prisons have emptied. All in just 5 years. And does anyone wonder why we never hear of this outstanding success anywhere in the mainstream press?

So no, banning guns is a completely stupid idea. Already proven that it doesn't work. If guns ARE banned, the only people who will have access to guns are the criminals. And all the idiots that want to ban guns have an iq of about 10, or have never read a history book, because it's all laid out in our history. SMH.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join