It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Jordan: ‘I can no longer stay silent’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Classy move from a real class act.

Michael Jordan: ‘I can no longer stay silent’

Michael Jordan's statement in full:

As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well.

I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected and supported.

Over the past three decades I have seen up close the dedication of the law enforcement officers who protect me and my family. I have the greatest respect for their sacrifice and service. I also recognize that for many people of color their experiences with law enforcement have been different than mine. I have decided to speak out in the hope that we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and education, achieve constructive change.

To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. The Institute for Community-Police Relations’ policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting best practices in community policing. My donation to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest civil rights law organization, will support its ongoing work in support of reforms that will build trust and respect between communities and law enforcement. Although I know these contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the resources will help both organizations make a positive difference.

We are privileged to live in the world’s greatest country – a country that has provided my family and me the greatest of opportunities. The problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.”

I wanted to let Mr. Jordan's words speak for themselves; but a little background information can be found in an accompanying article:

Jordan speaks out on shootings of African-Americans, police

Jordan’s commitment to diversity, his spokeswoman said, has been long established. “But he’s always been very private and personal about many of these things.”

Of the decision to speak out and contribute his voice and money now, she said: “Michael was tired of just talking. He wanted to do something about the issue. This was very important to him.”

I really don't have much more to say. Mr. Jordan said it all, much better than I can. So I'll just say, "Thank you, Mr. Jordan."

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Sound like somebody who actually cares and wants to make things better versus vilify or victimize .

I have said it in the past that nobody likes to be either a victim or a villain. The approach many of these so called concerned leaders are taking is just that, The finger pointing in one direction only causes division, anger, and hate on both sides.

We need more People like MIke to come forward.

edit on 13731America/ChicagoTue, 26 Jul 2016 09:13:10 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Sound like somebody who actually cares and wants to make things better versus vilify or victimize .

We need more of that.

We sure do!!!

If the election were today, I'd be writing in Michael Jordan for president -- he sure couldn't be any worse than the crap choices we have now. This is leadership. This is substance over symbolism. This exemplifies exactly what this country desperately needs.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
God bless you Michael Jordan.
We need more figures like him to speak for sanity in these times.
Terrific athlete, even better person.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

If the election were today, I'd be writing in Michael Jordan for president

In a heartbeat and I don't even care what his political views are,LOL

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
God bless you Michael Jordan.
We need more figures like him to speak for sanity in these times.
Terrific athlete, even better person.

Let's hope it's contagious. Sometimes people just need to be pointed in the right direction. I'm hoping and praying that Michael Jordan just raised the bar to a whole new level.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

In a heartbeat and I don't even care what his political views are,LOL

I think we know all we need to know.

We know he puts people first... that he puts his money where his mouth is... and that he's willing to take a stand for what is good and right.

That's all I need to know!

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I have said it in the past that nobody likes to be either a victim or a villain. The approach many of these so called concerned leaders are taking is just that, The finger pointing in one direction only causes division, anger, and hate on both sides.

We need more People like MIke to come forward.

Well said.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
And it took all of less than a morning for BLM to complain that they didn't get any money. Calling MJ out because Hanes makes undies in China. The man did something good and he gets vilified.

Blackistone on Jordan: Why not give BLM money?

Source

Michael Jordan Donates $1 Mil to Support Police… BlackLivesMatter RAGE!

Source

Yup the BLM Uncle Tom tweets are flowing from the hate group.
edit on 26-7-2016 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

The Institute for Community-Police Relations’ policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting best practices in community policing.

see, I see this and respect it. But then I see this and realize that its futile:

www.tmz.com...

Sources close to Dre tell us the motorist had pulled off PCH and stopped in front of Dre's crib. We're told Dre asked him to move, and he did ... but cussed at the mogul as he did it. Dre pulled into his driveway, but the other driver kept yelling -- so Dre pulled out his phone to record video. Our Dre sources claim the guy said, "Here we go again, another black guy with a gun." L.A. County Sheriffs tell us the motorist called 911 to report someone pulled a gun on him. When deputies responded they put handcuffs on the Doc and searched him. We're told they found no gun, and let him go. However, the guy insisted on making a citizen's arrest, which means he filled out a report detailing his allegations.

Its kind of crazy that a billionaire gets harassed outside of his own home, has a false allegation called in against him and ends up being cuffed and violated by police. All because a belligerent white guy calls 911 and says that a black guy has a gun.

And if this man (Dr. Dre) legally owned a gun and had it on his property, would have he been arrested? Killed? Why was he handcuffed on his own property?

I respect Mr. Jordan's attempts here, but until the law treats everyone under the sun equally, there will be no trust.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Liberal rhetoric.

He said nothing about the black on black murders epidemic in this country.

He just made all the SJWs feel good, nothing else.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
And it took all of less than a morning for BLM to complain that they didn't get any money. Calling MJ out because Hanes makes undies in China. The man did something good and he gets vilified.

Source

BLM is a fraudulent group, I'm black and I wouldn't give them a dime. Did you see one of their leaders Deray or whatever sucking the corrupt democrats off last night? I'm sure BLM doesn't need Jordan's money when they get it from Soros.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Liberal rhetoric.

while I believe that there needs to be serious work done on that front, police brutality/revenge cop killings are not exclusive to that issue.

no one is going to willingly ignore police brutalizing and killing unarmed people because that is happening, nor should they.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Well, no good deed goes unpunished... we knew someone was going to cry about it for some reason...

Source

That's a question they should be asking of themselves. Of course, they already know the answer.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
you could argue that MJ has killed more black kids then cops.

ftw.usatoday.com...

Who shot and killed MJ's dad? Did they ever figure that out?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Sometimes it takes a man who can fly, to pull people up out of the programming they have been hit with.

If police stop shooting unarmed individuals, and the people give respect where it is due, if disreputable officers are dealt with harshly, and harmless individuals treated with the respect they deserve, then everyone will be better off. Both sides of the debate need to wind their necks in, and be human about this stuff.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

I respect Mr. Jordan's attempts here, but until the law treats everyone under the sun equally, there will be no trust.

I agree 150%.

But we have to start somewhere, and Mr. Jordan just gave us a starting point. In some ways, Jordan is the perfect person for this. He has the respect and admiration of many people from all walks of life and politicial persuasions.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

But it does, police doesn't discriminate it has brutality against every color and race.

There is a problem and its far more complex than simple racism on one side, and their is blame on both the police and on the civilian side.

Until we acknowledge that , and stop throwing the one sided victim and villain card it will not be fixed.

Sounds like MJ is trying to bring everyone together versus fuel the fire by encouraging devision.

edit on 46731America/ChicagoTue, 26 Jul 2016 09:46:25 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Liberal rhetoric.

Versus what? Conservative hate?

Really? That's all you've got? Tell ya what... lead the way. Show us all how it's done. Because unless and until you're walking the walk, it's all just talk.

Hmmmm... sure didn't make the BLM feel good!!!

But if that's what you see, well, it says a whole lot more about you than anyone else. But thanks for letting us know who you are... and what the rest of us are up against.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Maybe he should say.. "stop killing each other over my line of shoes".....

He is ignoring and deflecting from the whole root cause, the culture, black on black crime, etc.
edit on 26-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join