It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Jordan: ‘I can no longer stay silent’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
you could argue that MJ has killed more black kids then cops.

ftw.usatoday.com...

Who shot and killed MJ's dad? Did they ever figure that out?

I cannot blame Michael Jordan for people being materialistic enough over his overpriced shoes to start killing over them.

that is a cultural problem, simple and PLAIN. that's not his fault.

Growing up I never owned a pair of his shoes. I was told if I cannot earn money to buy expensive things, I shouldn't have them or do things underhanded to get them until I work myself up to a level where I can get them if I choose. I have yet to own a pair and i make great money....why? there's more value in investing in your own self instead of buying a pair of sweatshop sneakers marked up by 300%!!!

Not everyone was taught that lesson. Being black, its a big difference being raised in a household under immigrant parents as opposed to an an american household, sad to say.
edit on 26-7-2016 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2016 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: supremecommander

I respect Mr. Jordan's attempts here, but until the law treats everyone under the sun equally, there will be no trust.

But it does, police doesn't discriminate it has brutality against every color and race.

There is a problem and its far more complex than simple racism on one side, and their is blame on both the police and on the civilian side.

Until we acknowledge that , and stop throwing the one sided victim and villain card it will not be fixed.

Sounds like MJ is trying to bring everyone together versus fuel the fire by encouraging devision.

I will be the first to say that the brutality problem is not exclusive to one ethnic group so I agree with you.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

BLM is a fraudulent group, I'm black and I wouldn't give them a dime.

You and Jordan aren't the only ones who know this.

One of my hopes is that Michael Jordan's donations will raise awareness of other groups -- like the NAACP Legal Defense Fund... and take much of the focus off the BLM. Too many people think BLM is their one and only hope. It's not. Exactly the opposite. BLM gives no hope. Just hatefulness and hurtfulness.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Maybe he should say.. "stop killing each other over my line of shoes".....

yes, because that explains police misconduct perfectly

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
you could argue that MJ has killed more black kids then cops.

Sure you could... and you'd be wrong.

Who shot and killed MJ's dad? Did they ever figure that out?

Did you even read the OP? The accompanying article? Because if you did, you'd know that.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Boadicea

Sometimes it takes a man who can fly, to pull people up out of the programming they have been hit with.

Excellent metaphor!

If police stop shooting unarmed individuals, and the people give respect where it is due, if disreputable officers are dealt with harshly, and harmless individuals treated with the respect they deserve, then everyone will be better off. Both sides of the debate need to wind their necks in, and be human about this stuff.

Well said. Both "sides" have work to do.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Liberal rhetoric.

He said nothing about the black on black murders epidemic in this country.

...the racists inevitably come out to do battle with activists posting indignant Facebook statuses, eager to deflect attention to police officers killing black children to the specter of “black-on-black crime.”

Black on black crime myths

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

This is excellent. A lot of young black people idolize MJ, he's one of the few popular role models for blacks that isn't a bad influence (I'm not saying there's no good black role models, just that they don't get near the same level of interest as a sports star role model - indeed they aren't lining up to buy Niel Tyson's shoes lol). I'm glad he's using his influence for good unlike that chump Will Smith who, ironically after what seemed like whip cracking from his wife, jumped on the 'whitey oscars' bandwagon.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Liberal rhetoric.

He said nothing about the black on black murders epidemic in this country.

He just made all the SJWs feel good, nothing else.

Well you didn't mention black on black violence has been encouraged and created with public policy like the war on poverty and the war on drugs as well as law enforcement and political corruption in the black market.

Maybe it's easier to just assume it's their skin color causing this. Which is why only libertarian conservatives have even addressed the issue.

The neo von conservatives just make the bad policies if the Democrats even worse or ignore it all together.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: supremecommander

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Maybe he should say.. "stop killing each other over my line of shoes".....

yes, because that explains police misconduct perfectly

If the police just said "hey lets go shoot a black guy today" and did it all of the time, then yes I would be enraged. But it doesn't happen like that. 9 times out of 10 it is a criminal getting killed for HIS own actions.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

This is excellent. A lot of young black people idolize MJ, he's one of the few popular role models for blacks that isn't a bad influence... I'm glad he's using his influence for good...

I totally and completely agree.

Michael Jordan has earned his rep the old-fashioned way: Hard work, dedication and perseverance. He has much he can teach others. And when people know better, they do better.

Let's just hope and pray that he isn't silenced by those who only claim to want better.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

He is not ignoring that.

You however are ignoring root causes of black on black crime.

People like you try and make it simple with racist insinuations that's its a black culture problem.

Well no kidding. When you have police dept laundering drug money, the war on drugs, And the current wellfare system then it's a trap.

You can't put millions of men in jail for non violent crimes and then complain there are no black fathers.

It's funny though when you use income demographics instead of only race you have a much more level incarceration rate.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

He is not ignoring that.

You however are ignoring root causes of black on black crime.

People like you try and make it simple with racist insinuations that's its a black culture problem.

Well no kidding. When you have police dept laundering drug money, the war on drugs, And the current wellfare system then it's a trap.

You can't put millions of men in jail for non violent crimes and then complain there are no black fathers.

It's funny though when you use income demographics instead of only race you have a much more level incarceration rate.

It is a black culture issue that has largely been born out of failed liberal policies.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
1,200 people are killed each year over sneakers

“It didn’t surprise me that kids would become violent and really ferocious about these shoes, because the way [companies] market them, they market them as if they’re the dream,” Mike Epps, the actor and avid sneaker collector, says in the video.

In particular, critics have accused basketball legend Michael Jordan and manufacturer Nike, which owns the Jordan brand, of encouraging frenzied behavior over their shoes. The most sought-after Jordans are expensive and released in limited quantities, making them highly sought-after and valuable. In October, former NBA star Stephon Marbury singled out Jordan in association with “kids dying over shoes,” when he announced the return of his own $15 Starbury sneakers to market.

Significantly more people are killed every year over Jordan's overpriced sneakers than are wrongfully killed by cops. Many are black on black murder. Seriously, and in all honesty, Michael Jordan should be getting sued every time a person is robbed and killed over his shoes, or killed trying to steal them. Where are the Anti-Gun Democrats with that legislation? How about BLM on the topic of Urban teens killing each other over shoes at a rate significantly higher than wrongful police shootings?

Marketing

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
Seriously, and in all honesty, Michael Jordan should be getting sued every time a person is robbed and killed over his shoes, or killed trying to steal them.

Not a big fan of people taking responsibility for their own actions?

Who should be sued when you have been pickpocketed? The wallet maker? The pants maker? The bank?
Should Ford be sued for a carjacking? Apple if your phone is stolen?

Whilst MJ should never, ever be forgiven for his push off. Being blamed for violence and death that has been caused over a product he endorses is a little much.

Congrats to MJ tho.

After failing to take any political stand because "Republicans buy sneakers too" it's good to have such a high profile figure addressing the issues. Especially as he has a thought out view and shows respect to both sides.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

So you can't give credit where credit is due; and you will exploit the senseless deaths of others for... well... not good reason; and you want to be part of the problem, not part of the solution. Gotcha. Pretty darn sad that that's the best you could offer.

1,200 people are killed each year over sneakers

Let's take a closer look at this number and where it came from:

David T. Friendly, the director of the documentary, says the source of the statistic is an estimate offered by opponents of these marketing strategies originally reported by ABC News. “As a general comment, let me just say we were extremely sensitive to the issue of violence associated with sneaker sales while making our documentary,” Friendly said in a statement when asked if he’d received any indication the figure was inaccurate. “We carefully checked our source and still reported that number only as an estimate.”

Significantly more people are killed every year over Jordan's overpriced sneakers than are wrongfully killed by cops.

Since there are no hard and fast numbers for either, that is speculation at best. Stating it as fact doesn't make it true.

Seriously, and in all honesty, Michael Jordan should be getting sued every time a person is robbed and killed over his shoes, or killed trying to steal them.

I don't believe even you believe that tripe. I'm sure you wouldn't say the same about gun manufacturers being sued every time a person is robbed and killed over his" guns, "or killed trying to steal them." That list would go on and on.

The only person responsible for robbing/killing anyone for any reason is the person who commits the act. Period.

Where are the Anti-Gun Democrats with that legislation?

You want it, what are you doing about it? Are you talking to your legislators about it?

How about BLM on the topic of Urban teens killing each other over shoes at a rate significantly higher than wrongful police shootings?

Marketing

Another strawman? Derail much? Pile on much? Hate much???
edit on 26-7-2016 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That was my whole point about being sued for his sneakers causing death. How could one try to sue a firearms manufacturer after the inanimate object changed ownership several times and claim they are responsible?? Well someone being killed over sneakers should deserve the same scrutiny. No I don't believe in litigation against a manufacturer. But yes, many more people are killed over this mans capitalist golden goose than are wrongfully killed by officers.

Go to hell MJ, the legend that you have built around yourself brainwashes kids to think owning your sneakers will make their dreams come true, and fit in with the cool kids. And you done it on purpose too, because it lines your pockets.

Video highlighting the dark side of Sneaker culture. Warning, there are violent incidences and emotional testimony from parents of victims.

edit on 7/26/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That was my whole point about being sued for his sneakers causing death. How could one try to sue a firearms manufacturer after the inanimate object changed ownership several times and claim they are responsible?? Well someone being killed over sneakers should deserve the same scrutiny. No I don't believe in litigation against a manufacturer.

Neither should be receiving that kind of scrutiny. And the appropriate response when someone does the wrong thing is NOT to perpetuate that wrong thinking. If you had any intellectually honest purpose, that was not the appropriate way to address it.

But yes, many more people are killed over this mans capitalist golden goose than are wrongfully killed by officers.

"Wrongfully" is a subjective term. I expect we have very different criteria for what constitutes a "wrongful" death. And, again, since there are no accurate numbers upon which to base that statement, it is speculation at best.

Whatever point you think you're making, it's lost in the snark and the hate... unless the snark and the hate is your only point... in which case you have succeeded in the most spectacular fashion. Bravo!

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Michael Jordan the biggest sell out in the history of black culture a guy that has gotten so many kids and adults killed over his shoes. Michael Jordan ,the man who has contributed more money into jails than schools and communities period and has the nerve to give a million to the NAACP those guys are useless and worthless and are a bunch of crocks who woudnt dare contribute any of that money for good.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Do you like, worship Jordan or something? FACTS! The pursuit of ownership of His sneakers cause deaths every single year. They do not often make national headlines because the current divisive rhetoric is "hate all cops, because they have a policy of killing innocent minorities" .

I literally provided a google search with the key words "killed for jordans" and you can spend all week seeing the news releases from various local outlets with references even going back to the end of the 20th century. I really do not know why you are so upset about. it is a fact that the pursuit of Jordan's, as well as adidas and other shoes gets people murdered every year, it has even happened this year.

At the very least, the rate of killings for sneakers in line with wrongful police killings is approximately equal. Jordan's don't kill innocent people, the pursuit for Jordans kills innocent people, every year, and many being young inner city kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join