It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LGBT activists enraged over beach patrol bathroom email

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
And just because a certain brand of Christians are morons who can't separate their religion from the modern world they live in, is that any excuse at all to widen the net of ill feeling? Focussing on this bloke distracts people from the real problem children in society.

I don't think you grasp the power of Political Fundamental Right Wing Christian lobby in America. (assuming you are in UK)

Even Canadians have trouble grasping it, as its not something they deal with in their politics/country.

Christians were allowed to run this country unabated up until about the 1960s, when atheists started fighting back.

They still have a stranglehold, and are kicking and screaming as their power diminishes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The lifeguard passed on a derogatory attitude to how many people?

He's basically saying its OK to make fun of transgenders.

Change the wording to something racist and then tell me its OK.

edit on 19-6-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I am in the UK, yeah.

Maybe I don't know just how bad they are nor how much power they still wield.

I do think though, that going after this lifeguard guy will not change, one iota the current situation regarding fundamentalist religious people being idiots and blocking other people's rights.

As I said, he isn't the enemy, he doesn't even look like the enemy, he looks like a boss who takes the time to understand the circumstances of the people who work under him and tailor his communications with them in a suitable manner.

While all this is going on, there are people who never gave a thought to LGBT folks who are thinking "Blimey, talk about pushy" and there are others, unchallenged, sewing seeds of hate in people because of some damn books.

ETA He didn't make fun of anyone did he? He used a well known current affairs topic to forestall any idiotic come backs from the boys who could no longer go into the ladies room.
edit on 03pSun, 19 Jun 2016 18:12:03 -050020162016-06-19T18:12:03-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: Addendum

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Change the wording to something racist and then tell me its OK.

Yeah I was about to say. Seems that many don't grasp that. Someone made the email public and Todd Starnes jumped at the chance to make a joke out of it. We all know his agenda.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Ok, why don't you change it to something racist, then post it and we can see? Because I can't think of a way to keep the meaning of the message and change it from guys staying out of the ladies room to something racist.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Hint: Jim Crow laws.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Are those the ones that said Black and white people had different bathrooms or water fountains?

If so, this isn't really analogous is it? Unless He specifically told a trans person to continue using the room that corresponds to their birth gender, which, form all I have seen, is something he absolutely did not do.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

So you have proof that one of the lifeguards was a transperson?

Otherwise, what he did was tell the men who identify as men to use their appropriate facility.

Or are you now advocating for the complete and total abolition of any and all gender categories because to keep them is to create some kind of discrimination? Is so, you are completely around the bend.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

The point is the email. If you change it into something racist would it be as funny?

And yes the black people's bathrooms were segregated back then.

Ps. Is it me or is ATS getting slow? Another DDoS attack? I hope not. I'm going to wait till it's back to normal before replying. I don't have much patience LOL.
edit on 6/19/2016 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Please follow the conversation.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

The point is the email. If you change it into something racist would it be as funny?

And yes the black people's bathrooms were segregated back then.

That's hardly the same thing, is it? Did the tone of the email seek to dehumanise a group of people in the way that saying they couldn't use facilities because of the colour of their skin? No.

He never told any trans person to do anything, he told a group of Cis (I think that's what they are called, but if it's a perjorative term or something, then I apologise) men not to use the ladies. He added a bit of humour too that he probably wouldn't have added if there had been a trans person in the team.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I suppose we all see it in a different way. He may not have meant it to be taken that way. But one thing's for sure someone made sure to make it public and Todd picked up (we all know his true agenda).

And BTW what do you mean that it is hardly the same thing? Transgender people are born that way. They don't decide their genders.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

He never told any trans person to do anything, he told a group of Cis (I think that's what they are called, but if it's a perjorative term or something, then I apologise) men not to use the ladies. He added a bit of humour too that he probably wouldn't have added if there had been a trans person in the team.

Look where his "humor" has gone.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Well, telling men identifying at men to not play with the law, was the real point being made... as the law is for people transitioning into transgender... not an excuse for coworkers to perv on other emplyees.

So despite such language mentioned, he was actually protecting women and trangendered from those being juvenile with the law, as many around the country have been doing to encite controversy as agent provacators too unhinge the very law of equality it was made to protect and cover... not as an excuse for douchbags to do what douchbags do.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Well, telling men identifying at men to not play with the law, was the real point being made... as the law is for people transitioning into transgender... not an excuse for coworkers to perv on other emplyees.

So despite such language mentioned, he was actually protecting women and trangendered from those being juvenile with the law, as many around the country have been doing to encite controversy as agent provacators too unhinge the very law of equality it was made to protect and cover... not as an excuse for douchbags to do what douchbags do.

Your post is making me dizzy.

He made a faux pas (in writing) Innocent? Questionable.

It TRAVELED.

IMO - from all I've read about Captain Arbin, he is a stand up guy. He is involved in his church - - - I do think he has some prejudices against LGBT.

This is not about intent. This is about what he said. And what he said "traveled" to thousands of people like wild fire.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Yes it traveled, right into the hands of those provoking the debate, when human rights and equality isnt up for debate.

It should be a given, have you become so extreme in protecting bathrooms rights, that those abusing it purposefully that are not transgendered, just to be juvenile then spread it to media outlets... that youve lost objectivity and turned into counter agent arguing for the enemy of bathroom rights?

Hey yeah I can see why feeling dizzy getting turned around so quickly...

News agencies owned and operated by certain interests, are going to look for certain interests... if they pay for their stories and not wholly fabricated they have to come from somewhere.

So someone says hey lets go make "news" then offer it up to any news agency that will buy the story like a tabloid... and who takes the fall? The fellow telling them hey youre not ladies you dont identify as such stop abusing the law... and who wins? The counter agenda of course.

Theres all sorts of information warfare and news vies for public to make money and were made monkeys dancing and scratching and itching... thinking we are doing good and sometimes get too close and lose objectivity.

Hey it happens youve been fighting this battle for weeks now here and whoop they flipped the script... making it a cant see the forest for the tress situation and subject to it still but now fighting on the wrong side of the fence.

Just put my foot in the revolving door and said hey... I know youre not meaning to be on the wrong side of things... unless your fight is for unisex bathroom/locker rooms and if so? My bad your opinion and youre entitled to it.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Yes it traveled, right into the hands of those provoking the debate, when human rights and equality isnt up for debate.

Captain Arbin said something that can be construed as offensive and insensitive. He is a public servant.

Someone made it public. It "traveled" like wild fire. Obviously, not so innocent.

have you become so extreme in protecting bathrooms rights, that those abusing it purposefully that are not transgendered, just to be juvenile then spread it to media outlets... that youve lost objectivity and turned into counter agent arguing for the enemy of bathroom rights?

This is about the wording of an email by a public servant.

News agencies owned and operated by certain interests, are going to look for certain interests... if they pay for their stories and not wholly fabricated they have to come from somewhere.

Irrelevant.

So someone says hey lets go make "news" then offer it up to any news agency that will buy the story like a tabloid... and who takes the fall? The fellow telling them hey youre not ladies you dont identify as such stop abusing the law... and who wins? The counter agenda of course.

Irrelevant

Theres all sorts of information warfare and news vies for public to make money and were made monkeys dancing and scratching and itching... thinking we are doing good and sometimes get too close and lose objectivity.

Irrelevant

Hey it happens youve been fighting this battle for weeks now here and whoop they flipped the script... making it a cant see the forest for the tress situation and subject to it still but now fighting on the wrong side of the fence.

Captain Arbin said something that can be construed as offensive and insensitive. He is a public servant.

Just put my foot in the revolving door and said hey... I know youre not meaning to be on the wrong side of things... unless your fight is for unisex bathroom/locker rooms and if so? My bad your opinion and youre entitled to it.

My fight? Equal Rights.

My fight? Transgender children in public school using the bathroom of the gender they identify with.

And public servants are responsible for what they say.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I suppose we all see it in a different way. He may not have meant it to be taken that way. But one thing's for sure someone made sure to make it public and Todd picked up (we all know his true agenda).

And BTW what do you mean that it is hardly the same thing? Transgender people are born that way. They don't decide their genders.

But here's the thing: If he had no transpeople on his staff and the email was only sent to his staff, then he only applied his words to men who identify as men. So in order for anyone to be "dehumanized" by his words, either someone on his staff had to be offended on behalf of others or someone sent to email to those it was not intended for and then those people got offended which they had no right to do as it was none of their business. And I can say that because, had THEY worked for him, he may very well have said something else in his email.

So again, do you have any proof that a transperson worked for him to have been discriminated against? Just because the email went public isn't proof enough.

If Annee had worked for him, she would have made the email public because she regularly gets offended on the behalf of others all the time. But he would not have been discriminating against her.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I understand your point. I guess I'll be a little more obvious.

Back then black women cannot share bathrooms with white women.

Now let's apply this to this story today. Some black women were using lockers room and some white women complained. So the email goes in part, "We're not like (some store that allows black people to use the same bathrooms)."

Is that funny?

edit on 6/19/2016 by Deaf Alien because: Correcting my drunken grammar and spelling.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But here's the thing: If he had no transpeople on his staff and the email was only sent to his staff, then he only applied his words to men who identify as men. So in order for anyone to be "dehumanized" by his words, either someone on his staff had to be offended . . .

Arbin claims he trying to use humor to address the matter and not take a stance on transgender issues. We're told the message offended some patrol members.

However, it got mixed reviews from folks on the boardwalk. Barbara Long says, "He has a right to voice his opinion like everybody else." Paige Christopher says,"No, there's really no business putting that information out there." That's how the town feels. Waters says freedom of speech goes out the window when you're a public official. She goes on,"It was unprofessional. It was insensitive and it's certainly not acceptable in the town of Ocean City."

After one of the patrols took Arbin's initial email to the press, he sent two others. The first appeared to show he was upset the issue wasn't handled internally. However, he did also apologize for offending anyone. In the second email sent several hours later, he apologized again, this time calling his comments "insensitive." The town of Ocean City is still taking administrative action. Waters says, "I think he learned a hard lesson." www.wmdt.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If Annee had worked for him, she would have made the email public because she regularly gets offended on the behalf of others all the time. But he would not have been discriminating against her.

Actually, NO.

That is not something I would do.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join