It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesson on "Assault weapons".

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Anyway, I digress. What does it matter if a AR15 or Similar is labeled a "Assault Weapon" or not. What matters is they appear to be the weapon of choice for mass killers and therein lies the problem.

I'm not an internet tough guy talking about things they really have no idea about.

But I am telling YOU.

The AR-15 is not a 'weapon' of choice.

One of those would be MACHINE guns PRE 1986 that the state makes people get an enema to own.

Like the AK-47, M16, M60 or Thompson sub.

And how many recent mass killings have there been with a AK-47, M16, M60 or Thompson sub?....I rest my case.

An AK-47 is the weapon of choice for most of the Middle East, so it's seen a lot. Back during prohibition, the Thompson sub machine gun was very popular. Many mass shootings were done with it, as it was the weapon of choice for gangsters. It was originally designed for trench warfare for the army, but the adaptability of drum magazines that hold many rounds and it's rate of fire made it a very powerful weapon. It shot .45 caliber rounds. (still does) It's hard to say how many mass shootings it's been a part of as those weren't categorized as that back then. The M-16 and M60 are military weapons not available to civilians.
en.wikipedia.org...

Just in case you are interested in this subject.
edit on 15-6-2016 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

What does it matter?

They are western nations with total bans on civilian ownership of firearms. Especially the kinds we're all talking about here.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

They need to keep their hands off of the constitution. I am sick of everyone wanting to control everything. I wish our country valued the core document that makes this country what it is.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

And we ALL know what weapon OBL held up as the terrorists PREFERRED weapon.

Sure wasn't an AR.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The M-16 and M60 are military weapons not available to civilians. en.wikipedia.org...

Actually they are.

Transferable machine guns.

www.autoweapons.com...

Pre1986 weapons.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
An assault rifle is a media generated term. Military speak denotes anything that is held in the hands, small arms or light infantry weapons, etc. An assault is an action denoting storming of a fortified position and any weapon used to close quickly with the enemy during an assault or charge.

The media picked up on this backwhen from the german term Sturmgewehr. meaning storm arms, storming referring to storming a position.

Small arms for this kind of close up work are usually light, semi or fully automatic machine guns, magazine fed, small caliber.

Anyway, just an old school perspective.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2
a reply to: network dude
True on the looks.
Well somewhat accurate on the caliber. The mini 14 is .223 however you can get ar15 from .17 all the way to 50cal.

You can use the same lower on the ar15 and swap out the upper with a few pins. That is one of the main reasons ar15s are so popular. You can put on your .22 cal barrel for plinking, your .223 for longer range, or your .308 and a scope for hunting. They are a very diverse gun.

I find it odd that a family of 8 got killed by a drunk driver and it doesn't make the big news but 3+ random people get shot and it is a nation wide mass murder catastrophe worthy of the politicians to call for more gun control. It used to be Buzz words, now days it is Buzz events.

Just to clarify you can't use the same lower for .223 and .308. The 308 takes the AR10 lower.

Way more people are killed by drunk driving, falls, bath tub accident and the biggest is... medical accidents. But let blame the scary black gun.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: GodEmperor
An 'assault weapon', is any weapon used to commit assault. For instance, a rock is an assault weapon when used in the commission of a violent crime.

Unless the particular AR in question, was used in a violent crime, it is not an assault weapon.

Actually According to the military all of their weapons are assault weapons and are always assault weapons even if they do not assault anyone with them.

So no... factually you are wrong. Semantically youre right but not in fact.

Actually the OFFICAL name of the weapon is:

NSN 1005-01-231-0973: RIFLE, 5.56MM, M4

Or more commonly the M4 Carbine

NSN 1005-01-128-9936, LIN R95035. M16A2 Rifle

edit on 16-6-2016 by dismanrc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

They need to keep their hands off of the constitution. I am sick of everyone wanting to control everything. I wish our country valued the core document that makes this country what it is.

Your Country what it is..? I think we can all agree America's glory days are well gone. Justice and Liberty for all?..Unless you are poor and Black.
Land of the free, Home of the Brave.? Unless you are so terrified of your own shadow you buy weapons designed for War by the barrow load.

America was great once. 40's through to the 60's...after and before that, not so great...

Ok, you kicked the Brits in the bollocks. nice one, but so did the Irish with a army of a few hundred men and women and time. No Biggy.

I dont believe the Founding fathers could have conceived the Modern Weaponry of today. The right to Bear single shot Musket is a bit different to the right to owning a ####ing armoury.
edit on 16-6-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I dont believe the Founding fathers could have conceived the Modern Weaponry of today. The right to Bear single shot Musket is a bit different to the right to owning the ####ing armoury.

girandoni rifle look it up.

To think that a group of inventors, scientists, merchants, and philosophers "couldn't conceive" of improving firearms technology is ridiculous and doesn't hold true with respect to what was available at the time.

This is a weapon with a 20 round magazine and a single action trigger semi auto type loading system(not sure what to call it..Except maybe a gravity feed) invented in 1779.

I'm just going to continue to tear apart your ignorance until you either capitulate and admit you have zero clue what you're talking about, or abandon the thread. All you have left now are snide remarks about my country and fellow countrymen, and supposition based on nothing but ignorance.
edit on 16 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

And where did you get that idea?

Most big hunting rounds have more/same as 223.

That's like saying high horse power cars are not "civilian". Why dou you need a 400HP car?

Or a house that is over a certain Sq Ft is not for "civilian" use. Why do you need over 1000SF family?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: syrinx high priest

What?

LOL.

Essentially 'speed kills' not the caliber.

At close range I would reather be shoot with a nice fast 223 instead of a big slow 12GA

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

a reply to: charlyv

Uh huh..

Please explain to me how bump firing stocks make a weapon any more deadly...In your technical expertise, of course.

How about the ability to spray an extremely crowded room, multiple times, multiple clips (ok, magazines, off vernacular")

I see you probably never tried to use one of those "bump fire' gizmo's. In real life the person would shoot less then someone doing the old single pull method. Those things are the equivalent of the "wonder cutter" for ARs. "It slices, it Dices it makes julian fries." While in fact it breaks, never works right. Doesn't fit right. And ends up in the garbage can because its a gimmick.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I dont believe the Founding fathers could have conceived the Modern Weaponry of today. The right to Bear single shot Musket is a bit different to the right to owning a ####ing armoury.

I don't believe the Founding Fathers could have conceived of the internet and television. The right to freedom of the press, the press of the time being hand set type with manual printing sheet by sheet, is a bit different to the right to be heard around the world in seconds.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

You do know that you can build a FULLY auto sub machine gun with tools at a normal bicycle repair shop?

Do some research on the WWII STEN. Designed to be built by the French Resistance with basic tools and materials after the NAZI occupation. Plans are in most puplic libraries.

WARNING:

If you do build one it is an ATF violation and you will be in jail. But I don't think that would bother someone planning an attack.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

What is see as the main problem, Nutjobs aside, is the amount of rounds the magazine holds on these weapons. Lets say we limit them to 3 round magazines, hey, you still look cool and any nutjob would have to stop and reload giving the public at least a chance to either get the hell away or pounce on the perp.

I mean, why do you need more than three rounds for anything. If you cant hit a target/animal with your first shot then maybe shooting and hunting aint for you.

If you want to go full auto or fire off a 30 round magazine on semi then their are places for that in the US..I know, i've seen it. you even get to wear a bikini whilst doing so. awesome.

Reloading doesn't take that long. The banana mags on my 10/22 take about 1.5 seconds with another .5 to chamber a new round.

Limiting the mag just means buying more.

Me bouncing a stool off the perps head from pick up to plant would be under a second. See where i'm coming from.?

You don't have to wait until he reloads to do that.

It also doesn't take much more to pull your LEGAL CCL gun out and shot him. OH forgot.. All these shooting happen in GUN FREE zones.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

You do know that you can build a FULLY auto sub machine gun with tools at a normal bicycle repair shop?

Do some research on the WWII STEN. Designed to be built by the French Resistance with basic tools and materials after the NAZI occupation. Plans are in most puplic libraries.

WARNING:

If you do build one it is an ATF violation and you will be in jail. But I don't think that would bother someone planning an attack.

Dont look it up on the internet. You will be on ze watch list and Donald will then take your toys away.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I'm just going to continue to tear apart your ignorance until you either capitulate and admit you have zero clue what you're talking about, or abandon the thread. All you have left now are snide remarks about my country and fellow countrymen, and supposition based on nothing but ignorance.

I might just keep going until the internet runs out of ink, or one of us runs out of time then.

edit on 16-6-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'm sorry, but if you remove them, something else will become the new "weapon of choice." Then what do you do? Take that away too?

In 20 years they will be tring to ban our "Assault Rocks" Of course that will be after they have banned our "Assult Knife", "Assult hammers" and "Assult sporks" already.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not exactly, you can purchase upper/lower receivers for certain types of weapons that will convert them to select fire/automatic. However, they supposed to be for military/police only. Anyone stupid enough to order these lowers without proper paperwork will be visited by law enforcement. Not trying to be a douche, but I am a avid enthusiast who felt compelled to add my 2 cents.

To be more clear. You CAN'T purchase these unless you fall into one of those categories or have the ATF license. You go into ANY class 3 (Full Auto) dealer and try to buy these with out the right paperwork and they will laugh at you and tell you to leave. AND if you do have the right paper work expect to pay $10K or more unless you are police.

Then you have the cost of shooting it. You can go though thousands of dollars of ammo in just a few minutes. Not worth the time or effort unless you rich.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join