It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesson on "Assault weapons".

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I realize a tragedy has occurred. It's horrific and should never have happened. But it did. As did all the other ones. But when uneducated people start blowing their opinions out, it tends to get others all upset and for all the wrong reasons.

An Assault weapon is a fully automatic rifle or pistol that can fire multiple rounds with one pull of the trigger. Currently in the US it is possible to purchase such a weapon, but it's very costly and has mountains of paperwork to be done in order to buy and own one. Mostly collectors are the ones who purchase such weapons.

An AR-15 is not an "assault" weapon, it's a rifle. It has a magazine and can fire multiple rounds, but must have a trigger pull associated with every round. Just like any other rifle. The amount of ammunition the rifle can hold depends on how it's made. An AR-15, in most states, can have a magazine of 10-30 rounds. A popular .22lr, the Marlin Model 60 can hold 15 rounds. The lead in both rifles is the same diameter, but the AR has more power behind it. AR stands for ArmaLite, which is the company that first developed this rifle.

A machine gun is fully automatic. The AR-15's that are sold in stores for $500-1500 are not fully automatic. The AR-15 shoots the same ammo as the Ruger mini-14. Since the Mini-14 has a wooden stock, it's much less frightening than the AR, but has the same kill characteristics.

Now, about killing. All guns were made for killing. that is their purpose. They can be used for pleasure like shooting competitions, plinking, trap shooting, and other activities that do not include taking of life, but the intended purpose it to kill. A broadsword is also made for the specific purpose of killing. It was the weapon of choice before the Gun came along. If a person has killing on their mind, and they are resolved in that matter, they will kill, or try to. The weapon they use is just the means to an end. Killing has been happening since the beginning of civilization. Sadly, discussion is only used after everyone is tired of killing. Blame that one on humanity, not guns.

Now, why a gun ban in the US is not the same, nor can it be compared to the UK or Australia. The US is a very different culture, with very different topological features. We have countries to our north and south that are protected by a creek and an imaginary line. So, not a lot of distinction or protection, until authorities become involved. Drugs are illegal, yet you or I can purchase them with relative ease on any given day. Guns are illegal in Mexico, yet people die there every day by gunshots. Gun ownership it restricted in Canada, yet people have been killed by guns there as well. So it seems laws aren't the saving grace here. And guns don't seem the be the underlying issue. People who have a desire to kill are the underlying issue. If we can stop people from wanting to kill others, all the bad news on mass shootings will stop.

So in conclusion, Don't fear the black rifle, guns don't kill people, other people do, and never ever point a gun at something you do not intend to kill.
Have a nice day.
edit on 13-6-2016 by network dude because: bad spler

edit on 13-6-2016 by network dude because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Very well put!!! I can list about 100 rifles that have the same characteristics as the AR-15 but like the AR-15 ARE NOT Assault Rifles....

People are so easily influenced and scared by the BLACK GUNS.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Very well said! Thank you for your insight. A lot of people who have never experienced guns Or been around them seem to not be able to grasp the differences, not only in the guns themselves but also the culture.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

I'd be much more afraid of my .308 as it has a really nice scope and given a much better marksman than I, could kill from several hundred yards with ease. It would take a well trained shooter to do that with an AR-15 with iron sights. I am not that guy.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Currently in the US it is possible to purchase such a weapon, but it's very costly and has mountains of paperwork to be done in order to buy and own one. Mostly collectors are the ones who purchase such weapons.

Good post. One other brief note, the fully automatic weapons are all from before 1987 and are a finite commodity.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
People who don't shoot don't care enough to learn the differences between rifles and assault rifles. They are black, scary and used in nearly every damn mass shooting in the US (Sandy Hook, Clackamas, Naval yard, Orlando off the top of my head). The odds of the same model rifle being used in these events over and over is almost the point of improbability. Chance would dictate them being used less often so it makes me wonder if there isn't a larger plan behind many of these shootings.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I'd be much more afraid of my .308 as it has a really nice scope and given a much better marksman than I, could kill from several hundred yards with ease. It would take a well trained shooter to do that with an AR-15 with iron sights. I am not that guy.

Ahh my favorite all around caliber!! I was raised up on my Browning Model 88 BLR in .308. I have taken many of game with it over the years and pretty accurate out to about 800 yards.... Now my .338 Lupua is a whole other ball game!! I'm steady striking iron at 1200 yards with the ole chili pepper rifle!! Absolutely love the .338...What a accurate beast!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Currently in the US it is possible to purchase such a weapon, but it's very costly and has mountains of paperwork to be done in order to buy and own one. Mostly collectors are the ones who purchase such weapons.

Good post. One other brief note, the fully automatic weapons are all from before 1987 and are a finite commodity.

Which is why they are so damn expensive. You can buy an armored Humvee for less then you can a fully auto Colt AR-15.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
An 'assault weapon', is any weapon used to commit assault. For instance, a rock is an assault weapon when used in the commission of a violent crime.

Unless the particular AR in question, was used in a violent crime, it is not an assault weapon.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This is 100% accurate statement.....This is why a fully auto AR-15 or technically an M4 cost between $9,000.00 and $20,000.00 to purchase on top of the tax stamp and full ATF/FBI back ground check....As well as giving up your 4th amendment right as owning a Class 3 weapons give LE the right to inspect those weapons at any time without a warrant.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Yep, it's folks like the cartoon artist that need this lesson. He/she has no clue what an "assault rifle" is.
Thanks for pointing that out.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Let's have a meme war ...

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
An 'assault weapon', is any weapon used to commit assault. For instance, a rock is an assault weapon when used in the commission of a violent crime.

Unless the particular AR in question, was used in a violent crime, it is not an assault weapon.

In the context of firearms, assault weapons are those used by military to preform assaults. But you are correct. many years ago, a team might have assaulted their enemy with diseased animals and a catapult. (assault cow)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

Ahh my favorite all around caliber!! I was raised up on my Browning Model 88 BLR in .308. I have taken many of game with it over the years and pretty accurate out to about 800 yards.... Now my .338 Lupua is a whole other ball game!! I'm steady striking iron at 1200 yards with the ole chili pepper rifle!! Absolutely love the .338...What a accurate beast!!!

See, you are the kind of shooter who could pull off those kind of shots. I know just enough to know I am not that guy. (but it's fun to practice)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Somehow I think it is funny you can't have a ban on guns because Canadians are living North of you.

I was reading a good explanatory thread but then you made me LOL

Thanks for that

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
People who don't shoot don't care enough to learn the differences between rifles and assault rifles. They are black, scary and used in nearly every damn mass shooting in the US (Sandy Hook, Clackamas, Naval yard, Orlando off the top of my head). The odds of the same model rifle being used in these events over and over is almost the point of improbability. Chance would dictate them being used less often so it makes me wonder if there isn't a larger plan behind many of these shootings.

Most of the shooters had Glock pistols as well, yet no such fear is portrayed about that weapon. (and at the risk of sounding racist, it's a black weapon as well) :0
edit on 13-6-2016 by network dude because: augustusmasonicus drinks skunky beer.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass
Somehow I think it is funny you can't have a ban on guns because Canadians are living North of you.

I was reading a good explanatory thread but then you made me LOL

Thanks for that

Is that what you got out of all that? Well, all I can say is I am glad I could bring a smile to your face Dumbass. (and the ability for me to type that without fear of punishment makes me smile as well.)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Very well explained,

a pity some people do not see it that way.......

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
True on the looks.
Well somewhat accurate on the caliber. The mini 14 is .223 however you can get ar15 from .17 all the way to 50cal.

You can use the same lower on the ar15 and swap out the upper with a few pins. That is one of the main reasons ar15s are so popular. You can put on your .22 cal barrel for plinking, your .223 for longer range, or your .308 and a scope for hunting. They are a very diverse gun.

I find it odd that a family of 8 got killed by a drunk driver and it doesn't make the big news but 3+ random people get shot and it is a nation wide mass murder catastrophe worthy of the politicians to call for more gun control. It used to be Buzz words, now days it is Buzz events.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join