It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all who serve in the US Armed Forces - Thank You

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Armed Forces Day - Saturday, May 21, 2016

Armed Forces Day in the United States

Many Americans celebrate Armed Forces Day annually on the third Saturday of May. It is a day to pay tribute to men and women who serve the United States’ armed forces. Armed Forces Day is also part of Armed Forces Week, which begins on the second Saturday of May.

Background

On August 31, 1949, Louis Johnson, who was the United States’ Secretary of Defense, announced the creation of an Armed Forces Day to replace separate Army, Navy and Air Force Days. The event stemmed from the armed forces’ unification under one department – the Department of Defense. The Army, Navy and Air Force leagues adopted the newly formed day. The Marine Corps League declined to drop support for Marine Corps Day but supports Armed Forces Day too.

The first Armed Forces Day was celebrated on Saturday, May 20, 1950. The theme for that day was “Teamed for Defense”, which expressed the unification of all military forces under one government department. According to the U.S. Department of Defense, the day was designed to expand public understanding of what type of job was performed and the role of the military in civilian life.

Armed Forces Day was a day for the military to show "state-of-the-art" equipment to Americans. It was also a day to honor and acknowledge Americans in the armed forces. Parades, open houses, receptions and air shows were held at the inaugural Armed Forces Day. Armed Forces Day is still celebrated nationwide today and is part of Armed Forces Week.

Thank you for your service to our nation.
edit on 21-5-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

You are more than welcome. Thank you.
(7 year U.S. Army Veteren)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I didn't even know this was a day but I'll take it. Too bad it's a not a federal holiday and everyone got the day off!

That said, if I could do it all over again I would have never joined the USN and been a lackey for the corrupt politicians Middle Eastern agenda that continues to this day. I didn't protect democracy nor did I spread it.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Most of us didn't do it for the, "thanks". But every time I hear one I respect that person just a little more.

I now serve disabled veterans for a living. When I met a new vet the first words out of my mouth are " thank you for your service" I have yet to have a vet scoff.

This is about the only place that I make it known that I was a marine because of anonymity, Not because I'm ashamed but because I'm not living by what I did 20 years ago.

Also, don't bother teasing me about that " once a marine always a marine" crap. I refer to myself as a recovering marine.

Semper Fi

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem."

– Ronald Reagan

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra Thank you for the support. (7 years AT2 (AW) Navy)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thanks for remembering, as we certainly will not forget. (8 years VP Navy, AW1)
It was a long time ago, and I am sure things have changed significantly for those on active duty today.
Go Navy.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv were you stationed In Whidbey Is.?
/

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
[snip]
edit on 24-5-2016 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

(post by AVtech34 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AVtech34

Ahw thats cute.
Now go out there in your made up wars and make the world a bit worse would you?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
[snip]
edit on 24-5-2016 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I'd say let him be.

I served also, but I know some would be against it, would protest it.

His right to protest is just important as our right to salute everyone who has served.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

So I present the truth to you and you go out and call me a coward for using a computer to write on ATS.
Maybe you got another genius idea of how i shall present these letters in a row on A INTERNET FORUM?

And now you state that I'm an ignorant liberal. And an edgy one of those aswell.

Is this really your way of handling someone who does not agree with you?
You really think that banker wars should be fought by innocent men in the name of freedom?
Do you really agree with the imperialism you country is pushing on the world?
Are you aware of the rest of the worlds view on the US behavior the last 100 years?

As stated in the post above:
Good job.

note: so you edited out ignorant liberal to replace it with calling me a troll.

Good on you man.
edit on 21-5-2016 by yeahsurexxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Don't thank us living, we don't deserve thanks, we made it back and have the paychecks and experiences with it, thank those who never returned, who joined because they had a sense of pride and integrity but no money or hopes of a job or education, who joined and never returned or who returned but not the same person they left as.

Thank them, they paid the biggest price ever, their life or their sanity.

Whether they believed in the fight they fought, they went without complaint, and their families still miss them dearly.

Not just Americans, but ALL WARRIORS we should thank and send our thoughts to.

We the living can continue our fight or adjust ourselves and continue our journey, we grow and miss our fallen or missing friends, those who are gone and those who aren't the same or worse.

I miss you all.

( 4 years U.S. Air Force F-16 Crew Chief )
Lost 2 good friends who joined the Army ( as a .50 cal gunner for IED patrol after enlistment ended in USAF, they left close nit brothers and returned a shell of their former selves, only to retreat into themselves to battle internally.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Most of the servicemen I've known in my life are actually uncomfortable with the "thanks for your service" line, because they joined for the steady paycheck, free education and free health care. Insurance discounts, better seats at the ballpark, etc.

Perks.

In other words, they were entirely self-motivated, and didn't join out of any sense of duty, loyalty or service. Of course, my "circle" is not representative of the greater veteran population, but I'd bet that more feel this way than are willing to admit.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I'm being "that guy".
edit on 5/21/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Thank you!

Must thank those unbelievably brave men and women who refused to serve and stood up to the Military Industrial Complex and our policy of never ending warfare.

Army Lieutenant Becomes First Commissioned Officer to Refuse Deployment to Iraq.

For the first time since the start of the war, a commissioned officer is refusing deployment to fight in Iraq. On Wednesday U.S. Army 1st Lieutenant Ehren Watada announced his intention to disobey what he says are illegal orders to deploy to Iraq.

Winter Soldier Investigation.

Winter Soldier: Iraq Veterans Against the War.

edit on 21-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Most of the servicemen I've known in my life are actually uncomfortable with the "thanks for your service" line

I am ... because I've just never worked out an adequate response.

because they joined for

the steady paycheck - Mine started at $500/mo
free education - I must have been standing in the wrong line when they handed that out.
free health care - Ain't you been told? There's no such thing as free. And, military healthcare sucks BTW.
Insurance discounts - Nope
better seats at the ballpark - Try discounted tickets in the nosebleed section.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I'm being "that guy".

Indeed you are.
edit on 2152016 by Snarl because: Quotes

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

To all who serve in the US Armed Forces - Thank You

No thank you!!! For your support.

US Army

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thanks to all that have served, serve now and will serve in the future. I hope our service has led and leads to a better world until such time as we as a species decide war and militarism are passe. When that happens we can dissolve the complex that kept it going and live in peace. Hopefully this happens before we finish destroying the planet and go extinct. In that case the world will repair itself and go on without us. In the meantime enjoy the day and the freedoms that have been earned by those willing to serve including me. My best,

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join