It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Discovery Shows Early Mammals Fed on Dinosaurs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Archeologists have unearthed the fossilized remains of two mammals that contained dinosaur bones in their stomachs, a finding that challenges the long-held theory that dinosaurs shaped the evolution of mammals. The bones also belonged to the largest mammal yet discovered, changing theories about the sizes of mammals around at the time.

www.boston.com
A team led by scientists from the American Museum of Natural History in New York City discovered bones of a beaked, two-legged dinosaur in the stomach of a cat-sized animal that died about 130 million years ago in China's northeastern Liaoning region. At the same site the team also unearthed the remains of the largest primitive mammal ever found, a creature roughly as big as a beagle.

The two findings, reported yesterday by the journal Nature, suggest the two types of creatures may have competed fiercely for food and habitat.

The announcement raises key questions about a long-held evolutionary theory that assumes mammals during the dinosaur era were small because it was the only size that allowed them to survive amid the dangerous world of predatory dinosaurs. Scientists have long reasoned mammals didn't begin a true growth spurt until after dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago. The discovery raises the possibility that mammals influenced the dinosaurs' evolution, not just the other way around.

The mammals lived during the Mesozoic era from about 280 million to about 65 million years ago that is largely known as the age of the dinosaurs. Although scientists have found teeth and other evidence suggesting that mammals might have been bigger than first believed during this period, it was sparse and incomplete. The team's findings are by far the most extensive skeletons ever

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's incredible that this small finding may redefine our knowledge about the relationships between dinosaurs and their evolution during this time period. What's more surprising to me is that the largest mammal at the time was only the size of a small dog. I knew that mammals would evolve to be smaller due to predation, but I never knew how small they actually were.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Already a thread on this: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
Already a thread on this: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

An ATS post and an ATSNN news story are permitted.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The 'spin' from the pro-science crowd will run long and hard on this one. Not supposed to be mammals while dinos around, so where is that timeline?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
No one has ever argued, to my knowledge, that mammals and dinosaurs did not co-exist. Indeed, the argument has been that the extinction of the dinosaurs gave the mammals the space and opportunity they needed to flourish.

[edit on 05/1/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
The 'spin' from the pro-science crowd will run long and hard on this one. Not supposed to be mammals while dinos around, so where is that timeline?

What is that supposed to mean? Are you claiming that most scientists denied that mammals and dinosaurs existed at the same time? If you are, I strongly disagree with you, and so does google

Why is it that "conventional wisdom" is such an attractive target for people without any?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeirToBokassa
Why is it that "conventional wisdom" is such an attractive target for people without any?

Now that is a question worth asking

with over 2 million URLs offering explanation on Google alone it surely must be a deep question.

Conventional wisdom-
    don't spit in the wind
    don't pull on Superman's cape
    - - -

Science history is full of exploded certainties. Beliefs that at some point in time are absolute seem to have a penchant for becoming theories and tendencies.
Like people that take titles 'for life' only to lose them, or sent places 'never to return' only to be seen yet once again, very few facts stand the test of time.

new topics

top topics

join