It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April breaks global temperature record, marking seven months of new highs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So again warming records are broken globally, El Niño is doing it's part but is not the driving factor of these records.

We can't deny that the climate is changing, man made or not, and it's wrecking havoc around the world.

SOURCE
Alternative link
NASA: April 2016 Was the Seventh Consecutive Warmest Month on Record For Earth

April 2016 was the hottest April on record globally – and the seventh month in a row to have broken global temperature records. The latest figures smashed the previous record for April by the largest margin ever recorded. It makes three months in a row that the monthly record has been broken by the largest margin ever, and seven months in a row that are at least 1C above the 1951-80 mean for that month.

When the string of record-smashing months started in February, scientists began talking about a “climate emergency”.

Figures released by Nasa over the weekend show the global temperature of land and sea was 1.11C warmer in April than the average temperature for April during the period 1951-1980. World's carbon dioxide concentration teetering on the point of no return Read more It all but assures that 2016 will be the hottest year on record, and probably by the largest margin ever.

The current blast of hot air around the globe is being spurred by a massive El Niño, which is a release of warm water across the Pacific Ocean. But it’s not the biggest El Niño on record and that spike in temperatures is occurring over a background of rapid global warming, pushing temperatures to all-time highs.

edit on 16-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Dang , send some of that thar Global Warmin stuff down south to Georgia. Went outside to walk the dog and it is as cold as a _______ you fill in the blank. Its May here . Temps in the morning should be in the upper 60s.We been in a cold spell since 2000

edit on 5/16/16 by Gothmog because: spelling

edit on 5/16/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Aaaahhh!
We're all gunna die!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Local weather can be a bitch, it's rather chill in Denmark too.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Not denying the rising pollution index either. If anything messes with the biosphere more than a few degrees of heat or cold let me know.

Sunny, balmy temps as usual, 300 days of the year here.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Here too! We had SNOW yesterday! SNOW!!!!!!
While it is not unheard of in the U.P. for May, It's pretty rare for the middle of the Mitten.
And I am sick of it!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

no doubt. NC is having a cool week as well. Global warming mus have gotten lost on it's way.
But I still hold out hope that my property will be beachfront soon. (100 miles from the coast now) If predictions are right, should be any week now.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I like an idiot washed my car and it rained,then will be 80 next day,seems pretty normal here

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I like an idiot washed my car and it rained,then will be 80 next day,seems pretty normal here

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yeah, sure. The winter was a warm one, but we had other warmer winters than this in my lifetime. Just because we had two frigid winters before this, they think people will believe it is getting warmer.

I wasn't born yesterday. I do believe we are changing our climate through many stupid ways and believe it is not going to be easy to correct it because consumerism dominates this reality and selling and producing has gone to extremes in the wrong direction. We need to quit causing polution, we do not need to be taxed more and buy new energy efficient products that actually cause more environmental damage because of their production than they will ever save. Ecology and economy are not the same, the still can be called Eco-friendly though.

This world is the biggest scam that could ever be. They are trying to form a flawed consensus that will lead to our destruction. We do not have the right to destroy this worlds environment and to put it's other inhabitants into extinction. There must be a god of deceit running this reality.

+2 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I keep seeing these reports, but like the previous poster, I'm just not seeing a correlation to the air temperature outside. Either Alabama isn't considered part of planet earth, the supposed warming is occurring only in designated areas that don't include me, or some politicized scientist wannabe is lying through his/her teeth.

For the past three years I have been keeping a detailed record of temperatures from the NWS. The template I created gives me graphically and numerically the temperature, the deviation from average, the trends, and a logarithmic severity index. So far, with precious few exceptions, every month has been below average. Sometimes it's 0.1F, sometimes it's 10F, but it's almost always lower.

I started the project because we started getting some unusually cold winter weather patterns, with sustained temperatures I have not seen in my 50+ years here. To my surprise, the summers are also colder. Winter low temperatures average right around freezing with a few weeks in the lower 20's or upper teens. We get appreciable snows about every 5 years or so, and an ice storm once a decade. Winter highs range from a few days just below freezing to the lower 60s.

The last few years we have had weeks with lows in the single digits and highs never breaking 30. We have also had multiple snow and ice storms in a single year.

Typically, summer highs run in the upper 80s to triple digits. We can usually count on one week during August of highs between 100 and 105. Lows never drop below 60, and are usually in the upper 60s. But the last couple of years we haven't broken 100 a single time and lows in the 50's are becoming common.

For three years, each month averages between -15 and +5 degrees of deviation. Each year averages about 5 degrees cooler.

Hottest years on record? Not according to here.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Are you saying it's all a big lie, or are you just describing your local weather.

I live in a part of the world where climate change is very visible, Scandinavia has gone from cold frozen weather to wet hot weather, winter is non exciting no frost or snow, just rain and + temps.

This in just 15 to 20 years, i have been sailing the waters around Scandinavia for almost 20 years, in the start battling sea ice every year, there is absolutely no sea ice anymore, even the lakes are not frozen.

We even sold our 3 huge ice breakers cause they are just laying in the harbour doing nothing but cost money, they were always active 20 years ago.
edit on 16-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Local weather can be a bitch, it's rather chill in Denmark too.

Well , I reckon so

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

It's May 16 in southern Japan, I'm wearing a sweat shirt since it is cold. Nearly 25 years ago here, I'd be shirtless because it was so hot and humid.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Here too! We had SNOW yesterday! SNOW!!!!!!
While it is not unheard of in the U.P. for May, It's pretty rare for the middle of the Mitten.
And I am sick of it!

We in Georgia have had more of that white crap in the past 5 years than the 50 before that added together.
edit on 5/16/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
First thing that popped into my mind was "that's weird, it's been colder than usual for my feeling", so I popped onto our official meteo site and it looks as though I was right:

"The average temperature in Ukkel was 8,5°C (norm.: 9,8°C) last month, average maximum temperature 12,6°C (norm.: 14,2°C) and average minimum temperature was 4,0°C (norm.: 5,3°C)."

source: Climatological monthly review for April

This concerns Belgium. Now I know it's not that big of a country but is it not also part of the global scene ?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

no doubt. NC is having a cool week as well. Global warming mus have gotten lost on it's way.
But I still hold out hope that my property will be beachfront soon. (100 miles from the coast now) If predictions are right, should be any week now.

With the higher CO2 levels and warmer temps all year , I am gonna plant a huge garden . Oh , wait . Getting too cold in the spring and fall here for that. Nevermind.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I keep seeing these reports, but like the previous poster, I'm just not seeing a correlation to the air temperature outside. Either Alabama isn't considered part of planet earth, the supposed warming is occurring only in designated areas that don't include me, or some politicized scientist wannabe is lying through his/her teeth.

Canada didn't have a winter this year. In the mid-East anyway. So if anything it means you are getting the North's winter and it's getting a second summer? I think the point is looking out your door to gauge global temps is like using your pinky finger to gauge the water in the oceans.

If the long term results of climate change is that Canada turns into a warm climate and mid-South US gets cold winters, does it still count? If the overall result is +x/y I think it does.

Canada got El Nino this year, while the US picked up the Arctic Vortex

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I'm saying that this story is politicized. I simply let folks know my opinion wasn't based on subjective observations.

Dig a little deeper like I did and you'll realize why things are changing. There has been a major shift in the jet stream over the US. Instead of a general west-east flow, the jet stream now flows from the Pacific into the Arctic, and back down into the Southeast. That is cooling our temperatures, raising Alaskan temperatures (Arctic melt, anyone), and causing the California drought. The El Nino this winter has shifted that pattern back temporarily, bringing too much rainfall to parts of California.

I have heard of a supposed connection between this shift and volcanic activity in the South Pacific. I haven't had time to check that out, however.

I'm willing to bet your weather shifts have similar causes.

Maybe someone should look into what is actually causing the anomalies rather than chasing the carbon dioxide boogeyman? Is that so much of a radical idea?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

We in Georgia have had more of that white crap in the past 5 years than the 50 before that added together.
We in New Brunswick had a mild winter as far as snow goes .Well some parts got lots but Fredericton did not .Not that uncommon for here .It all has such a back and forth pattern that is kind of un-predictable .Heck they do good if they get their weather forecasts close in the 5 day window .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join