It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London's New Muslim Mayor: Extremist or Opportunist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
supporting suicide bombings and attacking moderate Muslims with racial slurs is totally not extreme. Honestly, do you guys think being obtuse as possible is a redeeming quality?

From what I read, he "appeared at a conference with" people who support wife beating and attacks on Israel. He was also a defense lawyer for an accused 9/11 perpetrator - Due Process and the legal system... nothing extreme about practicing due process. I didn't see where it said Khan himself supported these things. If you read the what was quoted in the OP, it talks a lot about Sajeel Abu Ibrahim, Al-Qaradawi, and Suliman Gani. The article appears to use the beliefs/activities of these men as evidence that Khan is himself a terrorist and supporter. And yet, multiple times they preface it with "Khan appeared at a conference with ______, who ____________", which can easily deceive readers (like myself) if they did not read between the lines

When I first read it I thought Khan himself supported ISIS and suicide b*mbings etc. but it looks like that's not the case, the quoted text keeps referring to conferences Khan appeared at, where these other people with extremist views were also present.
edit on 9-5-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Defending suicide bombings,calling moderate Muslims "Uncle Toms"..well if seeing a problem with that makes one a "rightwing nutter" the hour really has grown late in this world.So it's insane to be even mildly concerned that the mayor of London is sympathetic to suicide bombers and bombings.Ok got it
Wow
i see one nutter around here,allright..

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: Swills

Defending suicide bombings,calling moderate Muslims "Uncle Toms"..well if seeing a problem with that makes one a "rightwing nutter" the hour really has grown late in this world.So it's insane to be even mildly concerned that the mayor of London is sympathetic to suicide bombers and bombings.Ok got it
Wow
i see one nutter around here,allright..

Politics, man.

It's the same reason no one can address the issues like black culture in America, global Muslim extremism, or the problems inherent with the party system.

It just causes knee-jerk reactions by people who honestly can't think for themselves.

SQWAK Bigot! SQWAK Racist! SQWAK Librard! SQUAK Right wing nutter! SQWAK

People are scared of being individuals, of upsetting the PC culture, to the point where we can't call a spade a spade anymore.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk
Your lucky my phone cut out cos I had alot to write about your statements. Simply put he represented a group known to be involved in suicide bombings, that does not mean he supports suicide bombings. With your stupid logic, any lawyer representing a murderer in court is an accessory to murder or attempting to pervert the course of justice, so should go to jail too?

Have so much more revolving your stupidity but I really can't be bothered to rewrite it all.

I don't want him as mayor of London, cos there will be a disproportionate investment into the integrations of minority communities which I disagree with. But to hate him cos he's a Muslim and to base all my opinions on one source is stupidity at its finest.

Calm down and do your own research on the subject. You attitude is what I hate about British people these days.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
If only he could see that with his own two eyes. Well articulated.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

Just because you keep saying "you hate him because he's Muslim" , doesn't make it so. Repeat it all you want, it's not true. I'm b blown away people would elect a Muslims who clearly support extremists. Extremism is what I hate. You on the other hand will excuse it and makes excuses for it as long as it's coming from a group you see as "protected".

This guy is surrounded by an awful lot of extremists to not be connected to it. He appears in videos, at meetings and at conferences that promote Islamic extremism.

Exposed: Sadiq Khan's family links to extremist organisation

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

Just because you keep saying "you hate him because he's Muslim" , doesn't make it so. Repeat it all you want, it's not true. I'm b blown away people would elect a Muslims who clearly support extremists. Extremism is what I hate. You on the other hand will excuse it and makes excuses for it as long as it's coming from a group you see as "protected".

This guy is surrounded by an awful lot of extremists to not be connected to it. He appears in videos, at meetings and at conferences that promote Islamic extremism.

Exposed: Sadiq Khan's family links to extremist organisation

Again I ask you?

Really what do you want us to do?

He legally stood for election and legally got elected! In the UK unlike the USA we follow the rule of law. Dont care for him one bit as he is a labour lefty but he was LEGALLY voted in. Unless he BREAKS the law we cant LEGALLY do anything.

I dont "support" him polically. But he WAS LEGALLY ELECTCED.

Do you want us to suspend the legal election process?

Wisk him off to a black site for some secret tortue?

Send some police round to shoot him on sight?

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
a reply to: TheBulk
Your lucky my phone cut out cos I had alot to write about your statements. Simply put he represented a group known to be involved in suicide bombings, that does not mean he supports suicide bombings. With your stupid logic, any lawyer representing a murderer in court is an accessory to murder or attempting to pervert the course of justice, so should go to jail too?

Have so much more revolving your stupidity but I really can't be bothered to rewrite it all.

I don't want him as mayor of London, cos there will be a disproportionate investment into the integrations of minority communities which I disagree with. But to hate him cos he's a Muslim and to base all my opinions on one source is stupidity at its finest.

Calm down and do your own research on the subject. You attitude is what I hate about British people these days.

Maybe YOU need to see with your own two eyes. It's been written in this thread once, so you're clearly willfully ignorant of the facts. He did not, simply put, only defend extremists in court. Let me re post this info for you again, since you conveniently missed it the first time.

originally posted by: tommo39
As council legal head, Khan argued in parliament that the Muslim Brotherhood’s spiritual leader Yusuf Al-Qaradawi “is not the extremist that he is painted as being.” Qaradawi (also banned in the UK for his extremist views) advocates, among other sharia principles, for wife beating and suicide bombings against Israeli citizens. After the murder of an Ahmadi Muslim in Scotland for wishing his Christian customers a peaceful Easter, the council “condemned” the incident by pointing out that Ahmadis are not Muslims. Khan was the defense lawyer for Zacarias Moussaoui, a 9/11 terrorist and confessed member of Al Qaeda. Khan attended events for the extremist group CAGE and wrote a forward for one of their reports. CAGE is a primary supporter of the Islamic State executioner known as “Jihadi John,” who they described as a “beautiful young man.” Khan appeared on panels with Muslim community leader and cleric Suliman Gani, a supporter of the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL), no less than nine times. In 2010, Khan shamelessly played the Ahmadi card, flaring up sectarian hatred in his reelection bid to the parliament when faced with stiff competition from Nasser Butt, an Ahmadi who had opposed the war in Iraq unlike Khan who had voted in favor of it.

The guy paints a picture with his actions.
edit on 9-5-2016 by Psychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Don't do anything. I'm baffled by the fact he got elected in the first place.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Well its not really that much of important job.

He just decides were to dump roads and what building permits to sign.
So naturally there wasn’t much voter interest.

Hell the last mayor was a joke.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

And just because you defend someone one legally doesn't mean you support what they did. Maybe you are the type to not like defense lawyers but sorry they decided to get a job that pays very well.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I liked Boris better as Mayor of London than I like him as potential PM.

Although him and trump would make for interesting times and at least we would watch the world burn with a smile knowing it was done well.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Lol, the world is getting crazier by the day!
The new mayor seems okay and 'normal' to me, but like any politician, of course I only know his public face.
The Muslim thing seems irrelevant to me, but I don't live in that #hole London so don't really care either way.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Your NOT a happy little vegetable are you, i will add more, patience is a virtue,remember.......It you don't this thread then go away, easy.....

BLA is pointing out your shortcomings in posting an OP,
No content, just a proclamation of your own.
He has every right to have a comment, and with substance.
As for dodgy London Mayors, what about 'Red' Ken livingstone...never mind Red, he's been called everything...currently a Nazi fascist, and revisionist by virtue of calling Nazi's Zionists...and that's a tricky assumption for others to make on him.
Even so, Livinstone made a major contribution in making London somewhere to go to, for years it was a festering dirthole, nowadays uppity young Londoners make comparisons between their city and dirty New York.
Let's just hope Khan can continue to improve things...if not heave him out..get it?

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Do you have any idea what budget the Mayor of London has at his disposal?. If you want a minor figure Transport for London pay the MET police something in the region of £150million a year just for Police support on the network, The Mayor has full control over this. That is one organisational deal out of hundreds if not thousands.

The Mayor can also give prerequisites for the MET police and how it will conduct itself regarding current trends.

How much money was used on the Cycle super highway?.
Or the current plans for a 24h Underground service?.
Congestion charges and public transport cost and budget?.

These are all under the remit of the Mayor so to say the role "is not a important job" is absurd.

RA

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

So?

Yeah he has a £150 million to spend on infrastruture.

He is not important in the context of creating laws, forign policy ect

So he not going to be implemneting Sharia law and makeing alliances with ISIS and terrorist group abroad.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

a reply to: slider1982

So?

Yeah he has a £150 million to spend on infrastruture.

He is not important in the context of creating laws, forign policy ect

So he not going to be implemneting Sharia law and makeing alliances with ISIS and terrorist group abroad.

No he will have in the region of £16.3 Billion to spend...

This is taken from the London.gov site

• The total budget for the GLA Group for 2016-17 is £16.3 billion. This comprises a revenue budget of £11.5 billion and a draft capital spending plan of £4.8 billion.

www.london.gov.uk...

If you do not believe it is a "important position" then god knows what you must do to bring in a paycheck?. How many people in the UK or world for that matter have that amount of cash at their disposal and the number of people under them that runs into the 100'000's, not very many..

RA
edit on 9-5-2016 by slider1982 because: input

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Let's just imagine the new mayor was Jewish, would it still be appropriate to constantly talk about their religion? I imagine not, islamaphobia is perfectly acceptable in the media today.
edit on 9-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm very proud to have him as my mayor. As a Londoner of 30 years as well as an staunch atheist, he was the best choice of candidate by far.

These days with hatred and intolerance and xenophobia on the rise, this tells the world that Londoners are tolerant and welcoming to all people. I am VERY proud that he was elected. And believe me I have no love for Islam.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

He is not important in the context of creating laws

Most powers are derived from the Greater London Authority Act 1999 with additional functions coming from the Greater London Authority Act 2007, the Localism Act 2011 and Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011.

The main functions are:

Strategic planning, including housing, waste management, the environment and production of the London Plan

Refuse or permit planning permission on strategic grounds

Transport policy, delivered by functional body Transport for London

Fire and emergency planning, delivered by functional body London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority

Policing and crime policy, delivered by functional body Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (before 2012 by functional body Metropolitan Police Authority)

Economic development, delivered directly by the Greater London Authority through subsidiary company GLA Land and Property (before 2012 by functional body London Development Agency)

Power to create development corporations, such as the London Legacy Development Corporation

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join