It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I have learned from the social justice movement

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

A kafka trap is exactly what you are attempting now. You are attempting to put me on trial instead of the subject of the thread at hand. You are trusting to the time since the actual events and the threads in question to cover for you as well as the general hysteria of many posters in those days.

You want me to feel guilty about those days and things I said, hoping I might feel ashamed or something, and you want my denial of guilt to serve as evidence of it, so that you can then plausibly do exactly what you just did - attempt to besmirch my credibility.

Here is the blog post where the term was coined.

One very notable pathology is a form of argument that, reduced to essence, runs like this: “Your refusal to acknowledge that you are guilty of [sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…] confirms that you are guilty of [sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…].”

In this case, you are attempting to trap me in a refusal to admit that I "thought Obama would destroy the US with Ebola" or some such crap.

In this essay, I will show that the kafkatrap is a form of argument that is so fallacious and manipulative that those subjected to it are entitled to reject it based entirely on the form of the argument, without reference to whatever particular sin or thoughtcrime is being alleged.

And I have done exactly that - deny that your assertions has any merit.

Kafka is a writer who wrote the short story called "The Trial."

... in which the protagonist Josef K. is accused of crimes the nature of which are never actually specified, and enmeshed in a process designed to degrade, humiliate, and destroy him whether or not he has in fact committed any crime at all. The only way out of the trap is for him to acquiesce in his own destruction; indeed, forcing him to that point of acquiescence and the collapse of his will to live as a free human being seems to be the only point of the process, if it has one at all.

You want to destroy me, not anything I have or have not said on this subject. It is a low and manipulative tactic.

The aim of the kafkatrap is to produce a kind of free-floating guilt in the subject, a conviction of sinfulness that can be manipulated by the operator to make the subject say and do things that are convenient to the operator’s personal, political, or religious goals.

In this case, you want me to bow out and stop speaking so that you can hold the floor. I am a much easier topic to tackle than actual one of the thread.

I hope it is clear by now that the particular flavor of thoughtcrime alleged is irrelevant to understanding the operation of kafkatraps and how to avoid being abused and manipulated by kafkatrappers. In times past the kafkatrapper was usually a religious zealot; today, he or she is just as likely to be advancing an ideology of racial, gender, sexual-minority, or economic grievance. Whatever your opinion of any of these causes in their ‘pure’ forms may be, there are reasons that the employment of kafkatrapping is a sure sign of corruption.

But please, have a nice day anyhow.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
#TrollLivesMatter

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz they want you to spice up your life.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ExoticSpaceTiger

There's two kinds of my change my friend, a change for the better and a change for the worse, I support change for the better, thats why I laugh on most sjws rethorics.

I'm far from being conservative, I just dont like to ride trains that carry the word "progressive/liberal" and you have to forcefuly seat on and ride, or else... you are lumped as an enemy of progress, I just like to think things through and read between the lines before acting by force and loud words as if reason itself is on the side of the ones that speak louder.
edit on 8-5-16 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

A kafka trap is exactly what you are attempting now. You are attempting to put me on trial instead of the subject of the thread at hand. You are trusting to the time since the actual events and the threads in question to cover for you as well as the general hysteria of many posters in those days.

You want me to feel guilty about those days and things I said, hoping I might feel ashamed or something, and you want my denial of guilt to serve as evidence of it, so that you can then plausibly do exactly what you just did - attempt to besmirch my credibility.

Here is the blog post where the term was coined.

One very notable pathology is a form of argument that, reduced to essence, runs like this: “Your refusal to acknowledge that you are guilty of [sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…] confirms that you are guilty of [sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…].”

In this case, you are attempting to trap me in a refusal to admit that I "thought Obama would destroy the US with Ebola" or some such crap.

In this essay, I will show that the kafkatrap is a form of argument that is so fallacious and manipulative that those subjected to it are entitled to reject it based entirely on the form of the argument, without reference to whatever particular sin or thoughtcrime is being alleged.

And I have done exactly that - deny that your assertions has any merit.

Kafka is a writer who wrote the short story called "The Trial."

... in which the protagonist Josef K. is accused of crimes the nature of which are never actually specified, and enmeshed in a process designed to degrade, humiliate, and destroy him whether or not he has in fact committed any crime at all. The only way out of the trap is for him to acquiesce in his own destruction; indeed, forcing him to that point of acquiescence and the collapse of his will to live as a free human being seems to be the only point of the process, if it has one at all.

You want to destroy me, not anything I have or have not said on this subject. It is a low and manipulative tactic.

The aim of the kafkatrap is to produce a kind of free-floating guilt in the subject, a conviction of sinfulness that can be manipulated by the operator to make the subject say and do things that are convenient to the operator’s personal, political, or religious goals.

In this case, you want me to bow out and stop speaking so that you can hold the floor. I am a much easier topic to tackle than actual one of the thread.

I hope it is clear by now that the particular flavor of thoughtcrime alleged is irrelevant to understanding the operation of kafkatraps and how to avoid being abused and manipulated by kafkatrappers. In times past the kafkatrapper was usually a religious zealot; today, he or she is just as likely to be advancing an ideology of racial, gender, sexual-minority, or economic grievance. Whatever your opinion of any of these causes in their ‘pure’ forms may be, there are reasons that the employment of kafkatrapping is a sure sign of corruption.

But please, have a nice day anyhow.

Holy moly, dont get your panties all tied up, you post daily your blind hatred for anything the left has ever done, you defend bigots the lady whos job was to give marriage licenses, you say that gays asking to be married legaly is forcing there special ways on us.

I could go on and on, obama behing a secret muslim, theres so many examples, its right here on ats for all to see.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

targeting of a group, yea... but hey I guess any negative opinion voiced is targeting. So lets just call it that when it suits us and makes others looks bad, mkay. As far as playing the victim, I don't see that at all in OP's post. he/she displays strong confidence while making light of prejudice displayed against him/her.

Most of the comments bashing the OP here are bad and the people leaving them need to open their mind a little bit. I hope to offend even though I am not posting offensive content. You guys are looking to be offended, so lets start. I have a different opinion than you, get offended.

I think you responded to the wrong person. Or you completely missed the context of the post

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Who exactly are you debating at this point? Me or that fascinating strawman with my face on it?

I am simply a libertarian for the most part who values freedom, even when I don't always agree with the expressions it takes. Defending it is a dirty job, but someone has to or else we all wind up living in cages.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Who exactly are you debating at this point? Me or that fascinating strawman with my face on it?

I am simply a libertarian for the most part who values freedom, even when I don't always agree with the expressions it takes. Defending it is a dirty job, but someone has to or else we all wind up living in cages.

I was just saying that your opinion is bunk, your for people not behing equal in the eyes of the law, and pretend your for liberty and the constitution.

Must of hit a nerve lol

Ebola baby

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

ms pinke i was wondering if you would ever grace me with your presence again, i personally had to take a sabbatical. BUt it is nice to see you again.

on topic, this both sides are ridiculous when does one side just ignore the other and focus on real issues.

such as sex slavery, the massive amount of missing persons that go unsolved, the poisons ect.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: woodwardjnr

And like SJWs I still have no idea what they want.. what they really really want

"I'll tell you want they want, what they really really want. . . . "

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

*yawn*

And you are beginning to sound like facebook at this point.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

*yawn*

And you are beginning to sound like facebook at this point.

Says the person who post memes to get her point accross.

Obama the muslim communist ebola spreader. I cant make this stuff up but you can.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Obama is a goddam hippy commie moslem who hates merica. Sorry just had to lol.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

You sure can bring it up though.

Attack the person, not the premise.

Check.
edit on 8-5-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

Trudeau is a looking good liberal commie moslem lover, Obamas brah! times x2! had to say it too! lol

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
wait, didn't you just play the victim card ?

lol

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

c'mon ketsuko...all of us Americans value freedom, billions of people in this world value freedom....who are you defending it from anyway?......the governments of north Korea, Russia, China, and most Islamic governments are the ones that DO NOT value freedom, along with the few dictators outside those cited above.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock

Obama is a goddam hippy commie moslem who hates merica. Sorry just had to lol.

No, you didn't have to.
edit on 8-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
wait, didn't you just play the victim card ?

lol

I think there's an echo in here.

That's at least number 4.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join