It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect Can No Longer Be Denied: Berenstein Was The Tip of The Iceberg

page: 71
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
a reply to: Gryphon66

As far as I know, this is the first time you have deigned to inform us that you personally have experienced the Mandela Effect.

You should read more carefully before you make accusations.

Oh, and please, ignore my posts as I'll be ignoring yours.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: glowdog
i guess it´s my memory again but i was just seriously shocked when i found out that it seems to be "Looney Tunes" and not "Looney Toons".
Looney Tunes ? seriously ... gave me the mandela-effect so to say.
haha the more one looks at this the wackier it gets...

In my reality it was always Toons.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: tweetie

Yes, the term "Mandela Effect" seems to have originated with ghost-hunter Fiona Broome and a group of her colleagues at Dragon*Con in 2005 per the Buzzfeed article I linked earlier (Did You Know There’s A Term For When You’re Totally Positive Something Happened Even Though It Didn’t?)

Broome apparently described these events this way first in 2010 (as noted on that website you favor - Nelson Mandela Died in Prison? )

I'm still very curious as to why this seems to be (almost) a phenomenon singularly affecting Americans. Anyone have any references to these being experienced by non-English speakers around (this) world?

THAT to me is one of the really good questions presented here.

At least in my region people aren't aware at all, I think I'm only one noticing a thing. Finland.

originally posted by: tigertatzen

originally posted by: glowdog
i guess it´s my memory again but i was just seriously shocked when i found out that it seems to be "Looney Tunes" and not "Looney Toons".
Looney Tunes ? seriously ... gave me the mandela-effect so to say.
haha the more one looks at this the wackier it gets...

In my reality it was always Toons.

I even made tests with people collecting comics, they said it's tunes. However I remember it was toons.
edit on 5-5-2016 by AcerM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AcerM

Are you a Finnish native?

I wonder what makes the difference ... do language "barriers" act like some sort of firewall?

Also, the derivation was

Silly Symphonies (Disney, 1929-39)
|
|
Looney Tunes (Warner Brothers, 1930-1969) and then Merrie Melodies (Warner 1931)
edit on 5-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

I'll take primary Jerk position for 1000 Alex...

Is this the go to argument? Those who disagree are Jerks?

No. Just those who disagree and act like jerks about it.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

No, people who disagree are not necessarily Jerks. But those who troll the conversation & initiate forum slides using abstract diversions, condescension & idiotic repetition, are most definitely Jerks (or Minor Jerks).

People who disagree in a normal way, are awesome, because when debate occurs, profitable conversation & learning takes place. Trolling Jerks do not profit the thread or conversation, at all.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

As far as I know, this is the first time you have deigned to inform us that you personally have experienced the Mandela Effect.

originally posted by Gryphon66

You should read more carefully before you make accusations.

Oh, and please, ignore my posts as I'll be ignoring yours.

Wow, great contribution - glad to know that you have explicitly stated what we already knew - you are not interested in profitable discussion. I invited you into it, and you refused point blank. Says a lot.

edit on MayThursday1615CDT11America/Chicago-050042 by FlyInTheOintment because: adding quote to clarify how obvious this is...

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AcerM

originally posted by: tweetie
a reply to: IQPREREQUISITE

Alternate memories

I like that term better.

of course you do, go outside to talk people about alternate memories, try to not get mocked

Yes, the term is more general than being laid at Mandela's feet.
On second thought, maybe all of this is his fault! Just kidding!

I don't think I'd be mocked by people around here, maybe just looked at funny unless they had noticed some of the discrepancies, too.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I can't verify either way on this one. I don't think I ever bought them and I don't recall any specific commercials.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
As we've said, a very interesting aspect of the "Mandela Effect(s)" is that they seem to be mostly constrained to English speakers and Americans. Perhaps this has to do with American cultural mores in the last few decades that focus on the "nature of reality" (movies like "The Matrix" and "Inception").

Perhaps this is priming us to accept the "alternate" explanations over the mundane ones?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I can't verify either way on this one. I don't think I ever bought them and I don't recall any specific commercials.

It's interesting. Trying to trace back in my memory ... I dont' remember buying "Cup Noodles" either, and I certainly do remember calling them "cup o' noodles" and there are other similar products ... so ... I think I actually usually bought the "Maruchan Ramen" down here (Georgia, USA).

Memory is a funny place.

Thanks Tweetie. You're always reliable for a rational response!

edit on 5-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Tell you what gang. If this personal sniping doesn't end you will experience the "intrepid effect." No further verbal warnings will be given.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I don't know. It would have to be happening with items which are part of others' countries' specific cultures if that makes sense.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

So yes, it's the primary baseless argument. Got it. I expected no less.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I don't know. It would have to be happening with items which are part of others' countries' specific cultures if that makes sense.

Well, we've only had two members ring in so far ... both have said (Portugal and Finland) that it's not a "cultural phenomenon" there ... (and I paraphrased).

As a general note, I just introduced one of my employees whom I have known for years and trust completely to the phenomenon ... and after a few gasps and rumblings of "no no no" ... she righted herself and asked "how can we trust our memories on anything" ... and then a few minutes later ... "I've got to get some memory training books."

Folks react in different ways, obviously. I've never said any differently.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OveRcuRrEnteD

It is far fetched. Your own sources say that parallel universes would destroy each other in an instant...

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

The Berenstain thread has a link to the Dilemma/Dilemna issue. It is an English language issue and goes back past the turn of the century. Hand written letters exist with the mispelling. So at some point it just became a common mispelling.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

The Berenstain thread has a link to the Dilemma/Dilemna issue. It is an English language issue and goes back past the turn of the century. Hand written letters exist with the mispelling. So at some point it just became a common mispelling.

I think that's fairly clear given the spelling of the Greek word from which it derives: δίλημμα

Double mu's.

Yeah, I don't think the actual facts (or sources) are going to be as important as the subjective reactions.

new topics

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join