It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should fighting sports be legal?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

As long as participants are willing...let it be. You dont have to like it...

My point is...there are many many battles that end up without a drop of blood and very little injury. Blood is not the goal...but to submit your opponent. There are tensions between some fighters...but I doubt that many go out there with a thought of hurting the other guy. 99% percent of guys shake hands after the fight and the winner is usually congratulated by the loser. It's a about trying to win. I dont see it as "barbaric".

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I didn't say it should be illegal, did I?

It's a about trying to win. I dont see it as "barbaric".
What's the fastest way to win? Are you saying that they are not going for knockouts? Head trauma?
edit on 4/24/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I didn't say it should be illegal, did I?

It's a about trying to win. I dont see it as "barbaric".
What's the fastest way to win? Are you saying that they are not going for knockouts? Head trauma?

but why would they be going for the fastest way to win if the goal is kicking someone's ass as you say it ? Yes...they go for knock outs...because it knocks you out and the fight is over...not because they want to cause head trauma. You said it...the fastest way to win...because you're not there to mangle the guy.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Yes...they go for knock outs...because it knocks you out and the fight is over...not because they want to cause head trauma.
Sure. Tell me, how do you knock someone out with a blow to the head and not cause head trauma?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

easy...I'm 193 cm...cant tell you how many times I've ran into a top of door frame with my head. It knocked me off my feet instantly. I'm still alive without any noticeable head trauma.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

This is true... There is a three knock down rule, and they're not always caused by a damaging punch...

Sometimes even to the gut works...

though Boxing is still mostly to the head...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
You were knocked unconscious from walking into a door? Many times?

I'm still alive without any noticeable head trauma.
Noticeable to whom? Or, I guess you think that football players are wimps. Ali is a wimp.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Lysergic

That was just sad...

i like this better...

Preachfu

that was priceless

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Legal?
I prefer a good street fight, or did as a youth . Fighting over a woman in the late 70s I made headlines, and never got caught. It was two of us against probably 14 at least. I was swinging a chain and he had a club. we made it out alive, and many others were arrested. We collected the girl later. Street fighting is a rush
Pro fighting? Why not? train well and know all consequences

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

You were knocked unconscious from walking into a door? Many times?

I'm still alive without any noticeable head trauma.
Noticeable to whom? Or, I guess you think that football players are wimps. Ali is a wimp.

Majority of fight knock outs are not knocking out one unconscious (infact it's rare compared to number of fights)...just to wobble the feet. Once the feet go...the fight is over.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Right, and there is no head trauma, of course.

The point is to incapacitate someone with a blow(s) to the head. Head trauma.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

ok man.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The knock out I gave was a chain to the head when three guys came at me to kill me. Well thy were saying they were going to anyway. I layed it over the top of his head and worried later. I saw guys carrie him away. I was worried for along time. Now that was a knock out. The news paper headlines were RIOT! but didnt list a death or severe injury. Id take a punch over a chain to the head any day

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Right, and there is no head trauma, of course.

The point is to incapacitate someone with a blow(s) to the head. Head trauma.

Its about not getting head trauma of your own and doing all you can to spare yourself from it. Forget the other guy, Worrie about him later
edit on 24-4-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Its about not getting head trauma of your own and doing all you cqn to spare yourself from it. Forget the other guy
Actually, it's about people cheering for (and paying to see) someone administer head trauma to someone else.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Its about not getting head trauma of your own and doing all you cqn to spare yourself from it. Forget the other guy
Actually, it's about people cheering for (and paying to see) someone administer head trauma to someone else.

You dont hear cheers or anything else, and ou are not thinking about money. Things are different n a fight. Time is different. Its a fight to stay alive.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

This thread is not about street fights. It is about "sport" fights.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I asked a similar question recently...

Is fighting a sport?

Ended up conceding the point...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: daaskapital

Its not realistic to think that none competitive martial arts are effective against competitive ones.

I never said that was the case. All i said was that some martial arts which are geared towards combat and survival don't have competitive aspects to them. My assertion is absolutely correct.

Take Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu, for example. It is a martial art founded by Miyamoto Musashi, and even used by him in the dozens of duels and fights he had.It is a martial art centered on conflict, yet one without competition.

As for competitive martial arts vs non-competitive martial arts, i couldn't be bothered with that discussion. I've done 'hard' arts and others without that live contact training. They all have their benefits. I've learned things in one art that i never did in the other. I would be inclined to say that Muay Thai is generally superior to, say, Wing Chun Kung Fu, but it doesn't make Wing Chun pointless.

edit on 24-4-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

We would like to think, that we are a tamed and civilized species,,

but violence is one of the key aspects of being a human, without it, we would have not gotten to this far.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join