It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Should fighting sports be legal?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:03 AM
a reply to: Phage

Killing something for fun, entertainment, or practice, is natural.

Moral and ethics, right and wrong, are all inventions of man.

Imagine trying to explain your point to grizzly bear, that does not want to eat you, because its hungry, it just wants to make
edit on 24-4-2016 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:17 AM

originally posted by: Bone75
Yes we should ban fighting sports... along with football, gymnastics, hang-gliding, and anything else where someone could possibly hurt themselves.

Yeah , go like the kids in school where even dodge ball is outlawed.
Ummm No.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:45 AM
Tough question man, they do need to make it safer but I don't think banning is a solution. I love combat sports but seeing someone like chuck liddell these days is sad. In most boxing gyms you'll encounter guys that have sparred too hard for years that are beginning to show the signs of brain damage. Fortunately training methods are becoming smarter and less prone to injuries but the risk of being seriously hurt competing is always gonna be there.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:54 AM
I think this comes down to whether you believe people should be free to make their own mistakes, take their own risks etc.
Or whether you believe people should be compelled by the state to behave in a certain way because "nanny knows best".

Speaking for myself, I loved playing rugby, riding motorcycles climbing trees and all sorts of other things that carry a risk. I'm not too stupid to know the risks, I don't need protecting from myself and nor do boxers and mma fighters.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:14 AM
a reply to: onequestion
I HATE fighting sports.

Find them barbaric and low brow

If they are between CONCENTING adults I don’t see a problem.

Id legalize duelling if I could.

What consenting adults do is not my business.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:21 AM

originally posted by: crazyewok

Id legalize duelling if I could.

I'd vote for you :-)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:27 AM
You think other professional sports don't leave traces on human body?

Remember Lance Armstrong?
What about skiing? Yes skiing professionals have surgery almost every year.

What about swimming? You think it is healthy to keep human body for so long in chloride waters?

Marathon runners, you think it is healthy to run 50km or 100km every month or week?

This all leaves traces on human body. Professionalism went so far that we are over the edge of healthy sport. Every professional sport is more or less unhealthy.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:40 AM
I love watching the martial arts and boxing at the olympics, far more entertaining than professional fights in my opinion. I used to work with a youth club and many of the members really benefited from the training and discipline. The gym was owned by a local councilor, but also a local legend for his boxing and kick boxing achievements. Great role model for youngsters. He was our towns representative to run with the Olympic flame.

I much prefer the amateur fighting you see at sporting events where there are more restrictions and regulations

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:52 AM
a reply to: Phage

Well military members who are paratroopers do have to qualify in combative as well which means taking classes that get you rocked in the face and doing a lot of martial arts.

There are also bouncers and body guards hired to essentially take a bullet. Every job has its risks, some are just higher than others.

Now if these people were held against their will and forced to fight, that would be another issue entirely.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:57 AM
if you outlaw it, you just get more kimbos'

humans are violent and love violence so it will never go away because there is money to be made

I was watching the last hunger games with my daughter last week and we talked about how long until someone tried to do a hunger games for real as a TV show and she said 20 years

I hope she is wrong

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:32 PM
I just don't believe it's the governments job to hold everyone's hand, and tell them what is safe, and what isn't safe. Surely people have brains on their own, right? Surely people are equipped with enough intellect to make the decisions on their own, right?

No, the government shouldn't outlaw blood sports. The fact is, the vast majority of the population watching things like UFC, or Boxing, know how dangerous it is, and wouldn't step in the ring themselves. Lots of us enjoy the entertainment of those willing to risk their lives to entertain us, and you can't really blame us for that....but we know better than to risk our lives doing it. Kind of like that show Jackass. We love watching someone act a fool, doesn't mean we are going to do it!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:37 PM
No because then people would just do it illegally and it would be poorly regulated. People would get hurt more often and probably die and it would be a drain on resources to try and enforce the laws. Not sure why this is in general conspiracies?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:08 AM
Here is an old thread the OP (and others) might be interested in:

Ontario Wake Up: GSP KO's MMA BS

These are brutal sports with no place in a civilized world. Unfortunately we don't live in such a place, not even in Ontario, where we have spent ourselves into becoming "bloodsport whores".

Ontarians, every one of you, should know that your decisions on government spending, your spendthrift ways have paved the way for the MMA.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:29 AM
a reply to: ipsedixit

c'mon man... have we gotten this PC?

its sports entertainment...and it brings business to the entire community just like a Stanley Cup does...

We already watch it, why not bare witness to it...

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:14 AM

originally posted by: Phage

Is kicking someone's ass a sport?

Yes, not only is kicking someones ass a sport ( when 2 people enter into a sanctioned fight)- but it is the ULTIMATE sport- the only one that REALLY matters as loosing in a fair, 1 on 1 physical battle feels 1000 times worse than loosing at any other supposed "sport" in my experience.

Obviously people getting head trauma for other peoples entertainment is not going to be around forever but lets not pretend it isn't a sport.. a bloodsport..but a sport nevertheless.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:41 AM
I'm sorry you suffer from playing such violent sports but you did participate so it's something that should be expected.

There is a lot in the media lately about rugby players are more likely to get argggghh be trying to spell it right but I can't and stupid predictive text can't either so I'm going to spell it wrong and hope ya get what I mean .......... anyway ruby's get altsimmers. Perhaps rugby should be illegal too.

I also heard on the radio they have now devolved a blood test for concussion.

Anyways. ....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:06 PM

My honest answer? Fighting sports certainly do result in brain damage and other long term health issues...and yes, they should remain legal.

Should the NFL, Professional boxing et al. deny the medical science? Hell no...

Should they be liable if they deny the risks to players or fail to provide regular examinations or care? Hell yes..

Should people discourage their loved ones from entering those sports as a long term profession where long-term damage is likely?..Probably

Should we outlaw sports that have risk and consequence to the individual? No...

Dog fights are disgusting because the dogs don't have a choice...

Inform those competing fully of the risks involved and make efforts to mitigate those risks..but don't outlaw it.

BTW - there is a debate in womens soccer about whether players should be able to Head The my daughters grade school league, they banned heading the ball this year.

Just my 2 cents...

edit on 25-4-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:35 PM
i feel like if you make it illegal, just like everything else, and underground market will come of it.

I don't think it should be promoted the way it is however.

But just like war, the fight promoters make a lot of money.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:55 PM

I personally feel just like most things that are illegal, if fighting sports were illegal the underground fighting world would prosper. Just like dog fighting, cock fighting prostitution and drugs....At least with it being legal, people have an option of persuing legal means, and legal fights are sanctioned and regulated.
edit on 25-4-2016 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:15 PM

If someone wishes to take part in a activity that may cause them damage, then it is up to that individual. Presuming they are of the age to make adult decisions which I would presume, they are. Then this does not need to be discussed, no one is forcing anyone into this activity. There is many forms of 'sport' that could cause serious injury. Just when someone is kicking and punching their way to victory then the end results tends to finish with someone getting hurt.

SO long story short, no. Any sport is determined by the participants taking part.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>