It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a 25 year old Pakistani Muslim male living in the USA.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Sorry I missed this a first time.

1. Well I feel like I can be critical of Islam. And I have been in the past. Especially the hard line literalist interpretation that is Wahhabi Islam.

2. I guess what you mean by contextualize is read it in light of what kind of civilization and world was currently existing when the Qur'an was first introduced to the world. In that sense yes I try to read it in view of that. But I also try to read certain passages more metaphorically, I do this with the bible also, like the Genesis account of Adam and Eve. There is too much wisdom there to ignore if you believe it is just a bunch of irrational blabbering.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Sorry I missed this a first time.

1. Well I feel like I can be critical of Islam. And I have been in the past. Especially the hard line literalist interpretation that is Wahhabi Islam.

2. I guess what you mean by contextualize is read it in light of what kind of civilization and world was currently existing when the Qur'an was first introduced to the world. In that sense yes I try to read it in view of that. But I also try to read certain passages more metaphorically, I do this with the bible also, like the Genesis account of Adam and Eve. There is too much wisdom there to ignore if you believe it is just a bunch of irrational blabbering.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

if i understand it correctly it is the only law which is accepted in the muslim faith?

The facts of the matter are that Muslims are to follow the Law of the Land in which they inhabit...

So long as it does not contradict God's Law.

So for example, if "non-Muslim" Nation decided that it's the Law to eat pork every Thursday, Muslims would be obligated not to follow such a Law.

Or if Charity was illegal, like in some places where you cannot provide money to beggars, (seriously it's happened) then a Muslim would not be obliged to follow that Law as one of the main Pillars of Islam is Zakat, or Charity.

I'm not answering for Thothful, just assisting where it can be helpful.

Peace, svetlana.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Walaikum Asalam,

Thank you for welcoming me.

I understand what you mean. Growing up, there were times when I have confronted such accusations and generalisations.

I will remember the Prophets words inshallah.

Thank you again

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

OMG man Haleem with garlic naan! And shaljam gosht(goat stew with turnips) with fresh naan.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: thothful

That's what I say about Christianity. I have the right to speak what I know. (Now atheist)

Christians that slam Islam without knowledge are ignorant.

I do not speak of Islam. I am without knowledge.

However, actions committed by individuals in the name of their God (any God) --- I have the right to speak against those actions.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thothful

No problem, bro...

Enjoy your time here.

Salam.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I just want you guys to know that I wish no harm on anybody and am hoping to perhaps allay some fears. I figure that since I am a muslim male living in the West in my mid twenties, I can answer any questions you have. Ask me anything.

I absolutely believe you, but you can't allay the fears people have of Muslims because there are so many radicals within Islam. I don't know how to fix the problem. Even if I believe YOU are a good person there are simply too many evil acts committed by radicals for me to trust Muslims in general.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I just want you guys to know that I wish no harm on anybody and am hoping to perhaps allay some fears. I figure that since I am a muslim male living in the West in my mid twenties, I can answer any questions you have. Ask me anything.

I absolutely believe you, but you can't allay the fears people have of Muslims because there are so many radicals within Islam. I don't know how to fix the problem. Even if I believe YOU are a good person there are simply too many evil acts committed by radicals for me to trust Muslims in general.

And you just HAD to make that known to a new member? Nice.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thanks for your fast response.

So, if sharia law is above the local law,
It would be logical for a muslim to want to install sharia law in the country he lives in?

What about conflicting sharias, for instance a wahhabi living in a sunni region?
Logically the wahhabi would follow his version of the sharia - and vice versa?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Salaam and you're welcome and thank you for inviting me.

1. You know I was raised as a Sunni Muslim, which is very literal, at least how I remember being raised, and not even from my parents exactly but from the Sunday school at my mosque. As I grew older I questioned a but, after it all I now look at my religion differently. I try to see deeper meanings to things. This doesn't negate anyone's faith who takes the religion completely literally, because when life beats you down, even just reading on a literal level and praying can help tremendously.

I do like Sufi Islam and am interested in mysticism.

2. I am not sure if that is fact. Most likely it is and I will assume it to be so. But Sharia law is questionable as it is derived from the Qur'an but interpretation can take many forms and be used to serve anybody's end. When living in a non-muslim country you must follow that countries laws. Its like living in another persons home I guess you can say, even if they eat pork it doesn't mean I have too eat it also, but I cannot force them to stop or look down on them.

3. Well US law gives a lot of freedom, so a woman can choose to cover her hair or not. If you were in a Saudi Arabia the law would demand it. So to be honest I have never felt like any US laws have obstructed my right to practice Islam.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

you have no clue if this guy is the real deal(its an internet forum) this can just as easily be a experiment or psy op, and it doesn't even have to be a conspiracy, it could simply be college students working on their theology masters.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I'm not going to ask you anything. You're a fellow American. You are free to think however you wish. I won't infringe on any of your rights and the only thing I would request it that you reciprocate.

Welcome to the site.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If if you do not trust Muslims that is 100% fine and respect your right to do so. I don't know what the solution is either. I believe that first and foremost honest communication is necessary, not selfish always trying to win an argument communication. But even that is hard and require effort.

When the San Bernandino attacks happened the first thing I did was go to the mosque for friday prayer, just to make sure they addressed it and denounced it. And they did which I was glad to witness. This is in California. So that is at least a step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Sharia Law is only above Local Law if it contradicts the Quran, like the examples I gave you.

Until then the Law of the Land is paramount.

4:59;
"O you believe, obey God and obey the messenger and also those in charge among you"

"Those in charge" would be the law makers.

As for differences in Sharia, like Iran-Saudi...
I cannot speak on that but to inform that it is all down to Clerical judgement...

A lot of it, in my opinion, being poor judgement.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

I can't prove to you whether I am "the real deal" or not. And hey, its a very ATS trait to be skeptical. All I can do is state here and now that this is not a psy op or some social experiment I am doing for a class or for amusement.

God bless you

Peace be with you

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thank you for welcoming sir.

I will reciprocate that which you have mentioned.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yes I agree with you, you do have the right to do that and you should do that.

And you know I have been for a long time now trying to understand the mind of those who do such things. I feel trying to understand will help me to create some bridge so people on both sides can understand and maybe even lead to a solution, on however small a level. Maybe it is futile, maybe it is not. I will say that I have not given up. But I must say it is quite the daunting task.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...are you planning a cell phone activation...or are you a land line kind of guy...?

If so which carrier do you prefer...to get the most coverage...?

You did request that we ask you...anything...

YouSir

Ummm...did you miss my questions...or did you need more time...?

Enquiring minds want to know...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Hey sorry for missing it,

I like ATnT. Im not planning a cell phone activation. Only use landline phones at the office lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join