It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Maybe we have become too coddled as a nation, as a people. We have been provided with easy access to food and shelter versus 100 years ago. We no longer understand what free speech means. There are a lot of replies from posters that show their basis for argument is so far off the mark, you can't even logically argue with them. You have to climb down into the feces to even begin seeing what their argument is about. Then you realize it is all about me me me me me. Must protect their fragile egos. The sad thing is, the segment of our population that thinks like this continues to grow every day.

I wonder if we will even be able to restore sanity at this point. Maybe we should just give them everything they ask for. Maybe it is time to stifle free speech so no one is allowed to say anything 'hurtful'. Maybe we just need to speed up the descent into madness.

More and more I am starting to believe the only way out of this quagmire is a great reset. A reset that will touch everyone with hunger and uncertainty. We have become so pampered as a people that we are screwed. Maybe that is what brought down the great nations of the past - too much comfort.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's a wonder that asking people to just be nice and respectful to each other gets met with such backlash and hostility.

Well said...
the sad part is that if hostilities cause another war to start - its the younger generation that will be sent in irrespective of what ideologies each group holds. Naturally the elder who subscribe to such "entitled" beliefs will not think twice about previously held ideologies.

To the OP as hard as it is try to rise above such idiocy

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Because we know words are very powerful and can hurt deeply-because actions quite often follow those words. There will always be differences in people and those differences can be good, bad, white, grey-it doesn't matter. It may never happen that all differences of color, culture are accepted by others. I'm a nerd. However, watching Star Trek and their relationships with truly other races was so interesting to me. They were able most often to clearly define other extraterrestrial beings and their quirks but attempted to show respect and courtesy until the extraterrestrials would bring danger to themselves. At that point, they had to take control for their own salvation. But that respect for difference was always there. That is a world I would like to live in, but at present it does not exist. But we have to start somewhere and the somewhere starts with yourself. We have so many new opportunities to learn from one another-that alone should make life interesting. Here's hoping for the future.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
Only assholes view a call for decency as an assault on free speech.

Assholes who attract other assholes who vote for asshole things like torture and murder and attract other racist assholes. And when someone says, hey, can you maybe stop being such an asshole? They respond with "free speech doinka doinka".

Too many #ty people using free speech as an excuse for why they are #ty people.

And many say nothing at all, for fear of retribution from feminist and other extremist groups, who are protected by the government. In essence, they are afraid to even use their "free speech" rights. This is just as bad as someone who uses it to say what's on their mind, despite the attack on their character, by people who would love to see all of our freedoms removed from us.
While I don't like what everyone says about me, and some of it may be offensive, I will protect that person's right to say it...to the death.
If you can't even take an insult...how the hell are you going to fight for our country?
Were anyone to ever attack with weapons, and who will definitely insult you,...do you plan to "educate" them about how to be more sensitive? They will laugh at you, as they take your head. Good luck with that.
edit on 19-3-2016 by IlluminatiTechnician because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros
Welcome to life sunshine! Grow up and grow a set...

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
No big surprise here… the downtrodden, subjugated, & marginalized speak up and speak out against the oppressive sect of America, and the corporate-elite PTB (Trump et all) just find a quick and easy way ("you are just being PC, stop whining") to disregard the fact that the marginalized finally have the right (just the right mind you, they haven't even had that historically in this country) to speak out.

And look, now TPTB have conned an army of underlings to do the fighting for them as well. Shameful.

How you speak of entire peoples in the passive voice, as if they had no agency and were simply pushed around by outter forces, is one of the reasons political correctness has reached authoritarian status. You've just revealed that it is you who marginalize others with your speech.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

believe those things, because my ancestors fought like berserkers to ensure that our future as a species was taken out of the hands of psychotic dictators with xenophobic attitudes,

Great post & classy. I do agree that to a large extent how we respond is a product of our upbringing and knowing the difference between classy and gutter talk. To a large extent when you control what people are allowed to say or not you are taking some of their choices away from them. What I'd be wary of is when you control the language you ultimately control the thinking and dissent becomes non-existent.

Now as to your ancestors protecting your future - I think it was in vain - when Brussels controls how you live.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

that words are not weapons, words do not hurt, and that they will never harm you.

By advocating political correctness, you are making racism, bigotry and other indecencies more powerful than they actually are, and this is a form of superstition.

If the OPS post about the petrol pump another group heard the idiot and spurred him on or decided to use similar words in hyping each other up leading to a confrontation you would still argue that he was taught falsehoods...I really think you need to critically look at how you use words. Or is the scenario I just postulated unreasonable?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

What are the REAL roots of the problem?...Seek out the virus

Tavistock

politicalvelcraft.org...

The schooling system in particular has been formed with the specific purpose of reducing the individual’s willpower and self respect, producing willing servants of the state. Charlotte Iserbyt, former head of policy at the Department of Education, documents this fact in her book ”Deliberate Dumbing Down of America.” The Rockefeller’s General Education Board proudly announced in its 1906 “Occasional letter number 1″ that,'''

“In our dreams…people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present educational conventions [intellectual and character education]… We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or men of science. We have not to raise up from among them authors, educators, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians, nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have ample supply.”

An 1895 book titled “How to Get on in the World” reflects the once common knowledge that excessive intervention and regulation in young people’s development will hinder growth. Self-respect, one of the foundations for intellectual growth, cannot be cultivated in this environment...

“The growth of these qualities may be encouraged by accustoming young people to rely upon their own resources, leaving them to enjoy as much freedom of action in early life as is practicable. Too much guidance and restraint hinder the formation of habits of self-help

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The anti PC folks just want the freedom to be bigots and racists without repercussions.

I await the day for one of these emboldened anti pc folks to say something derogatory to my face. I will break one of your f#cking jaws.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
You do realize those are all subjective labels that can be turned around and used to silence you, right?

The government isn't going to come and silence people for using offensive words. That goes against free speech. Words and actions have consequence however and people are free to decide that what you say is bigoted, racist, xenophobic, and hate filled and then treat you appropriately.

That is how you get silenced, it's not the government that does so, it's private entities that don't want to be controversial. The free market at work.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
the reason so many people are being anti pc as you say it because we are tired of all the double speak like when we are attacked by terrorist the government re titles them to islamic militants or that they are anything else they are not because if they acknowledged they were terrorist then they would have to admit the failings of their intelligence agencies or they are afraid that if the terrorist religion is told it willv stir the public into an uproar. yes some grops have gone overboard blm for one its not just african americans getting cut down by out of control police they are cutting down white people , hispanic and asian people too

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

When we were little kids we were taught ....sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

You put it very eloquently.

And as adults we learn that people categorize each other and come up with dehumanizing nicknames in order to rationalize mistreating them, in essence causing those words to hurt people.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This OP, as is usual for the pc crowd, plays the victim while actually being the instigator.

"Oh theres a war against me! Please ignore that I started it by telling everyone what they are allowed to think and say."

What is with this crazy victim syndrome where people actively seek out ways to be a victim when they arent one?

On the topic of thought police, please consider reading the following article concerning how thought is literally becoming a crime, particularly if those thoughts are libertarian or nationalist.
policestatedaily.com...

edit on 19-3-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

When we were little kids we were taught ....sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

You put it very eloquently.

And as adults we learn that people categorize each other and come up with dehumanizing nicknames in order to rationalize mistreating them, in essence causing those words to hurt people.

Yep and there are starving people all over the world and people are worried about being called names. Don't we as human beings have our priorities straight. Gotta love it.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

It may be cliche, but it is true that nothing can kill an idea. Freedom lives as long as those who aspire to it live. We always have, always will.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'll STOP when P.C. is DEAD.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Cool had nothing to do with what I said to you... Not surprising tho, that is how these always go. Just some off the cuff comment that has nothing to do with what was asked.

Sorry you can't handle someone calling you out when you say something they don't like.

Please don't do it to others when they say things you don't agree with, don't want to be like the PC police!

That is the disconnect you all seem to ignore. You only think it is PC when it is against something you agree with. But the second you don't agree with what someone is saying you are all for the labels and what not.

Like I am sure if I trashed talked veterans you would have some choice words for me. That isn't being PC tho right?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What many label political correctness, I simply call civility. Respecting others' opinions, tolerance, forbearance, referring to other human beings with dignity and refraining from bigotry. Not being racist, misogynistic, or hateful. There shouldn't need to be a divisive, politicized buzzword title for those things. Seems to me those are all just good manners.

In recent years, the response to that stance has been, "I have the right to be racist/sexist/bigoted/hateful toward whoever I want to be!" Which... yes. You do. Everyone does. Everyone has the right to say whatever they want, barring direct incitement to imminent violence. Just as everyone else has the right to very loudly disagree with and oppose those stances. That should be the balance.

Instead, we have seen 1) the mainstreaming of troll culture; no longer confined to the internet, people are mad enough to rally behind anyone bellicose and misanthropic for the hell of it, out of sheer contratianism (or even just entertainment.) 2) knee jerking against a sense of being infringed upon by equal protections and anti-discrimination laws (What Kim Davis did for instance,) and 3) a willingness by everyone to cut off their own nose to spite their perceived enemy's face.

Granted, anything can be taken to extremes. The pursuit of civility should never be used to justify the curtailing of citizens' rights. For instance, I do not agree with proposed restrictions on 2nd amendment rights. Nor would I agree with the silencing even of bigots with whom I profoundly disagree, unless they were directly inciting violence.

And even among the "PC," it should be noted, people disagree about how far free speech should go and what it's constituted by, people disagree on the precise nature of intersectionality, etc. etc.

But the thing is... even if there is disagreement on those facets of "political correctness" and resistance to some of its tenets (which, again, for me are simple common civility in a nut shell,) the response to that - it seems to me - would most constructively and reasonably be reasoned discourse. Not rage, and certainly not going to extremes or attacking anyone physically or verbally as human beings.

By the same token... I also disagree with BLM protesters (whose central premise and right to protest I DO agree with and support incidentally) inciting or causing violence either. Protest requires the moral authority of peaceful sustained resistance even in the face of the ugliest hatred and danger. That's how it wins. That's how it proves itself better than its opponent.

That goes for all sides. That, for me, is "political correctness," which I just call civility. The capacity for profound, even bitter disagreement... without rage, oppression, hatred, or violence. It's also necessary for the continued functioning of a democratic republic.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
How you speak of entire peoples in the passive voice, as if they had no agency and were simply pushed around by outter forces, is one of the reasons political correctness has reached authoritarian status. You've just revealed that it is you who marginalize others with your speech.

Seriously? Are you in that much denial about how non-'white men' have been treated in this country that just pointing that out is an offense to you? These people, our brothers & sisters, have been much more than simply pushed around. They've been beaten, silenced, incarcerated, thought of as less than human, denied the right to vote, lynched, put into camps, financially taken advantage of, basically denied the rights guaranteed by the constitution... certainly less than any white men has ever been. I would think that by this time we would be pulling away from this thought-line. And a couple years ago I actually thought we were, but the recent Trump support is here to remind everyone that the US is seriously stunted when it comes to feelings of equality. And those who aren't treated equal, and being put back on the chopping block are standing up to the new rise of tyranny.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join