It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports of Strong 'gas smell' coming from “OFF THE COAST" Westcoast

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Strong 'gas smell' coming from “OFF THE COAST" and now being smelled here in Los Angeles were i live. I need everybody who is willing to report on there areas who are smelling this gas. May be "Hydrogen Sulfide gas, which is directly associated with volcanism, and tectonic"

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I am a truckdriver, and right now am in Ontario, CA. If I smell anything this far from the coast I'll be sure to report.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1

In the uk about this time of year the ocean produces a horrid smell, the fishermen call it GullyWater. Its all the growth from the previous year thats died and rotted, it stinks, and it happens every year.
Could gully water be what people are smelling?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I believe what you are smelling is a natural release of methane from the bottom of the ocean...
Though the natural gas is odorless alone, it is often mixed with other sulfurous gases which can cause a nasty smell.
This can be caused by small movements in the plates which are not big enough to even be earth quakes but release the gas none the less...
I believe the same can be caused by plankton and algae blooms caused by changes in currents and temperature changes...
edit on 17-3-2016 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Where do you live? I saw on the news this morning that Standard Oil, I think, or some refineries were burning their torches today, to burn off excess gasses. They named those gasses, but I wasn't really paying attention. I grew up a block from Standard Oil in the El Segundo/Manhattan Beach area, near Rosecrans, and remember the odor from my childhood.

Hopefully, that's all it is.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Dutchsinse from Youtube is reporting on it too

youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Interesting

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Its 8:58 pm here in the 90006 area and the smell is strong.

Stay safe everyone i had to close my windows .
edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I holding is nothing serious (just some sort of manmade burnoff or cleansing process, but you might want to search for the ATS "QuakeWatch 2016"'thread. There are incredibly knowledgable posters who routinely update on seismic occurrences (or possible precursors like gas release from the ocean) 24-7-366.

They might give some explanation (or already be discussing/monitoring same).

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It seems something happen on Sunday too.

www.nbclosangeles.com...

Does anyone have a report that this is happening now 3/17/16 11:00pm
edit on 17-3-2016 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Looks like we will just have to wait and see what happens and how this gets explained by the officials.

They won't want to panic people and have nothing happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Here is another article I found, dated 3/4/16

According to the article, this happens often.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Sorry forgot link

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm making fejoiada, maybe it's that?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Looking at the Buoy Data Page.

No buoy's alerting to any water displacement

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Is it a rotten egg smell? That is hydrogen sulfide.
Natural gas has no smell.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Methane is more or less odorless. Mercaptan is added to natural gas to give it that gas odor.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
As far as I know, Hydrogen Sulfide doesn't smell, because it permanently damages your olfactory nerves, so your sense of smell is effected. Having worked in one of Joe Arpaio's jails for a very short time (which are built atop landfills, lower Buckeye at least) I have been so effected in that regard.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE
Hydrogen Sulphide / Sulfide ha s a very characteristic smell, like rotten eggs. But it does affect the olfactory sense and after a while a person can no longer smell it. (The effect is not usually permanent.) It's a very toxic gas and deadly in high concentrations. One reason it's so dangerous is because if people are exposed to it and don't know about its effects on their sense of smell, they can wrongly believe the gas has gone away, when the opposite may be true.

Also, if people are exposed to high concentrations of the gas, their sense of smell can be lost instantly. In this situation it is even more dangerous. Very high concentrations can quickly cause shock, convulsions, unconsciousness, coma and eventually death, with the first effects being felt after only a few breaths.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join