posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:44 AM
a reply to: HUMBLEONE
Hydrogen Sulphide / Sulfide ha s a very characteristic smell, like rotten eggs. But it does affect the olfactory sense and after a while a person can
no longer smell it. (The effect is not usually permanent.) It's a very toxic gas and deadly in high concentrations. One reason it's so dangerous is
because if people are exposed to it and don't know about its effects on their sense of smell, they can wrongly believe the gas has gone away, when the
opposite may be true.
Also, if people are exposed to high concentrations of the gas, their sense of smell can
be lost instantly. In this situation it is even more
dangerous. Very high concentrations can quickly cause shock, convulsions, unconsciousness, coma and eventually death, with the first effects being
felt after only a few breaths.