It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports of Strong 'gas smell' coming from “OFF THE COAST" Westcoast

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Get off the West Coast asap! the data has clearly been pointing to this area facing imminent decimation-people will look back at LA in future generations and have silly debates as to whether it really existed much like Atlantis! Juan De Fuca time is coming!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamfox1
Strong 'gas smell' coming from “OFF THE COAST" and now being smelled here in Los Angeles were i live. I need everybody who is willing to report on there areas who are smelling this gas. May be "Hydrogen Sulfide gas, which is directly associated with volcanism, and tectonic"

Whale farts.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
As far as I know, Hydrogen Sulfide doesn't smell, because it permanently damages your olfactory nerves, so your sense of smell is effected. Having worked in one of Joe Arpaio's jails for a very short time (which are built atop landfills, lower Buckeye at least) I have been so effected in that regard.

Nope, it has a very distinctive aroma.g

eta: you want to make some to 'savor the flavor', it's really straightforward. Go to the drug store, get some 'flowers of sulfur'. It's over with weird stuff you don't normally buy, but most big pharmacies have it. Get a block of paraffin for canning. Slowly melt about a tablespoon of paraffin and a half teaspoon of sulfur in a metal measuring cup over a tea candle. When you hit that magic temperature, you will know all about hydrogen sulfide you want to know.
edit on 18-3-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Ever had rotten egg burps? Same deal I think. You're burping hydrogen sulfide produced by bacteria in the gut.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I live in LA, don't smell anything unusual other than the pollution here.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hydrogen Sulfide is poisonous to humans. We used to do experiments that generated it and you are always supposed to do so under the fume hood. Of course that didn't always happen in college for various reasons lol!

The only reason it would concern me in LA is the ring of fire has had some major quakes all the way around it in recent years. It seems like the West Coast hasn't really given much. If it is bound it is going to have to release as the Pacific Plate has been so active. I am no geologist or seismologist, so that is just a layman's perspective of the situation.

ETA:

Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless, flammable, extremely hazardous gas with a “rotten egg” smell. It occurs naturally in crude petroleum and natural gas, and can be produced by the breakdown of organic matter and human/ animal wastes (e.g., sewage). It is heavier than air and can collect in low-lying and enclosed, poorly ventilated areas such as basements, manholes, sewer lines and underground telephone/electrical vaults.

Source
edit on 18/3/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike
a reply to: HUMBLEONE
Hydrogen Sulphide / Sulfide ha s a very characteristic smell, like rotten eggs. But it does affect the olfactory sense and after a while a person can no longer smell it. (The effect is not usually permanent.) It's a very toxic gas and deadly in high concentrations. One reason it's so dangerous is because if people are exposed to it and don't know about its effects on their sense of smell, they can wrongly believe the gas has gone away, when the opposite may be true.

Also, if people are exposed to high concentrations of the gas, their sense of smell can be lost instantly. In this situation it is even more dangerous. Very high concentrations can quickly cause shock, convulsions, unconsciousness, coma and eventually death, with the first effects being felt after only a few breaths.

You are correct. I am in error. My apologies.
Thank you!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1

There was an episode of "Through the wormhole" with Morgan Freeman where they hypothesized that because global warming is affecting oxygen transport in the ocean, the ocean bottom could become oxygen starved. Anaerobic bacteria, which are poisoned by oxygen, but love an oxygen free environment, could potentially thrive in the deep ocean, and the result could be a huge release of their waste product, hydrogen sulfide,which is a very poisonous gas. I dont know if it would kill everything, but if you lived near the coasts and this happened you might be in trouble.
edit on 19-3-2016 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Natural gas has no smell.

Typical woman

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Wretched beastie

Mercaptan is often added to natural gas as well collection to make it detectable as it is odorless and colorless.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Seems to be higher SO2 , CO and CO2 concerntrations in that neck of the woods according to the sat images.

sat live image

There was a good previous post about the gas releases being realated to major earthquakes. A similar gas release in India was followed by a major quake weeks later.

You can hit the earth button to change between gas levels. Check out Chinas particulates release.
edit on 19-3-2016 by jimmybob because: mo detail

(post by Bear05 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

I work in the industrial sector and what you said about H2S isn't exactly true H2S ( hydrogen Sulfide ) In low quantities H2S smells like rotten eggs, when it gets into higher concentrations you can no longer smell it because it affects your sense of smell, in even higher doses you might get a lung or two before you very quickly die.

Hydrogen can also have H2S mixed in with it and so can natural gas as well.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard
a reply to: Bedlam

Ever had rotten egg burps? Same deal I think. You're burping hydrogen sulfide produced by bacteria in the gut.

His avatar looks like he is always burping hydrogen sulfide gas. I am sure he and everyone around him is used to it and can't smell it anymore.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Where do you live? I saw on the news this morning that Standard Oil, I think, or some refineries were burning their torches today, to burn off excess gasses. They named those gasses, but I wasn't really paying attention. I grew up a block from Standard Oil in the El Segundo/Manhattan Beach area, near Rosecrans, and remember the odor from my childhood.

Hopefully, that's all it is.

I think it is this. I live about 20 minutes away from a big group of oil refineries. One would pass these on the thruway on the way to the Canadian border. For years, on occasion, when you saw chimneys/pipes on the top with a flame- as opposed to no flame- the rotten egg smell would be horrible.

Not sure I have smelled this passing that way in the last say, 6 or 7 years, they may have done something to reduce the smell.

A youtube video pointed out a couple of oil platforms out in the water near there. Could be them burning off excess gasses or refiners on land and the wind is causing it to be smelled where it normally isn't?
edit on 19-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

This has been happening for 2 days and the and wind direction is back and forth from coming from the water to going towards the water.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Doubt there's any relationship at all and I don't wish to feed into an anecdotal scare. But the other night here in the SF Bay (I live near the beach,) there was a strong, almost stinging odor of gasoline. I looked around outside and couldn't see or hear any running cars, bikes, etc. nor any other source for the smell. Usually when I smell that, there's a big diesel truck nearby waiting for a light to change or what not. But there was no traffic at all in any nearby street due to the time of night, and no one was starting a car that I found.

It lasted about three hours before dissipating.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamfox1
Strong 'gas smell' coming from “OFF THE COAST" and now being smelled here in Los Angeles were i live. I need everybody who is willing to report on there areas who are smelling this gas. May be "Hydrogen Sulfide gas, which is directly associated with volcanism, and tectonic"

I'm in Orange County, Costa Mesa nothing here.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

LBC here.....I was around Irvine area today....hmmm....will post anything if spidey senses go off....

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I found this article dated the 17th.

www.latimes.com...

Hope you are ok dreamfox

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join