It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea sentences U.S. student to 15 years hard labor for taking a banner.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: frostie
It should be illegal to go there

Why should be illegal? Thousands of westerners go there every year without any issues.

Get him out sure. But lets be honest. This is some insane BS on his part.

Personally, I think the many thousand's of young people doing a ridiculous amount of prison time in the US for simple drug possession is a far more pressing issue... not trying to offend here, but an American criticizing NK for handing out over the top harsh prison sentences, is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I dont support the prison system here, so I dont see your point.

People go there sure. Doesnt change the fact that its retarded. We are in a state of war with them.

Say what you will.

It is dumb, and dumb is dangerous, even mortal

It should be illegal, since now he wants help like everyone else who gets detained....who are they asking for help? Their parents?

It hurts us nationally to have to negotiate with them. Hence make it illegal. Or just say good luck you are on your own after a specific date.

What does this have to do with the US? I dont know if you care, but I no longer wish to speak to you. It is such a turn off to have every conversation revolve around the US.

Enjoy the last word. This is not an honest conversation.

edit on 3 18 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I dont support the prison system here, so I dont see your point.

So apparently you need it explained to you as if you were a child then?

If I visited the United States and legally purchased a qp of weed well in Colorado, then proceeded to drive that quarter pound across state lines into a state where that amount of herb will get you years in jail... would you be expressing the same jaded opinion about how stupid I was to visit such a barbaric country, if I was caught with said amount of plant matter and sentenced to serve years in prison?

What does this have to do with the US?

Well, the dude this threads about is a US citizen... it seems completely relevant to me, to point out that he just as easily could have been sentenced to years in prison in his own country for committing a minor and benign offence.

I dont know if you care, but I no longer wish to speak to you.

lol, that's what she said.

People go there sure. Doesnt change the fact that its retarded.

I personally think it would be a fascinating and thought provoking place to visit... But, I suppose most people who do go there, are people who are bored stupid of tropical beaches and 5 star hotels and are looking for a place to visit outside of the mainstream.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
Everyone is calling this kid stupid and foolish, and I couldnt agree more.

For those of you without sympathy let me remind you,

College kids are stupid. College kids make mistakes.

THEYRE COLLEGE KIDS!

The kid never shoulda gone, never shoulda stole,

The kid shouldnt have to pay this price.

If they are that stupid they shouldn't be allowed to travel abroad or even out of town.

I have as much sympathy for this guy as I have for people who travel to Indonesia to smuggle drugs or people who travel to Saudi Arabia to pi$$ on a Quran or the like.

The fact that these countries have extremely harsh punishments for certain things is not a secret, and this guy clearly knew that he would be in a lot of trouble if he went ahead with his plan. If you go there and break their laws, don't wine about what you get as a response. Also, if I am not msitaken, stealing is also forbidden in the US... unless you are a banker or a politician, that is.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Umm is there any proof of him stealing the item? or did they say he stole it for some easy political gain? rememeber dictators love propaganda,and you dont get much better than a tearful american asking forgiveness"coersed" on video.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Go to a country, break its rules, pay the price if caught.

Are those laws overly draconian? Of course they are. They are the rules, however. Break them at your own peril.

The kid is an idiot. Doesn't deserve fifteen years, but an idiot never the less...

...and why would one go to North Korea, in any case??

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
after reading all 6 pages of this thread and seeing everyones opinion, my thoughts on the matter are : the dude should have never stolen anything in the first place, but 15 years seems alittle extreme for the crime, i wonder if he will be alive after 15 years and i wonder if he will get out once hes done his time, i wonder what the reaction from people would have been if they would have killed him in the first place.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This is a regime that killed one General because he fell asleep at a meeting with an anti-aircraft gun. It should not be lost on anyone visiting NK that you better be damn careful and don't commit ANY crimes. He could of probably asked for one and they would have gave him one. Stealing is what he thought, however in a place that thinks the supreme leader is a god, well the crime of subversion and insulting the DPRK has harsh results. They just wait to make an example out of an American if they commit a crime. I would think anyone going there would be briefed before ever going about following the laws because of harsh consequences. I don;t think he will do all 15, probably get Dennis Rodman to visit in 3 years, as long as we don't have a war in the meantime

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
WHy has no one said if this was a false charge? you know.. to take a jab at the great Satan America?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Umm is there any proof of him stealing the item? or did they say he stole it for some easy political gain? rememeber dictators love propaganda,and you dont get much better than a tearful american asking forgiveness"coersed" on video.

There's video of him removing it from the wall.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

Ahh OK. thank you. then he should have his hands lopped off for stealing then sent home.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: frostie

Thanks to our current president, we look incredibly weak and wishy-washy, so punks like un feel like they can get away with crimes like this.

I'm not so sure this is the case. At any rate you can't fairly put all the blame for the current state of world affairs on the sitting president. It is much more complex; there are very powerful monied interests behind the scenes and sadly they seem to calling the shots, for both parties. That's why the establishment hates Trump. I personally think the guy is a Fascist but that's a whole other can of worms.

This is DPRK's typical tit-for-tat that they pull every few years. Why the hell do Americans even go there? Talk about asking for trouble! Sadly, as the OP mentioned, he will likely be there for a couple of years. We also should look at the timing; joint US/SK drills, recent NK missile launches, the purportedly lost NK sub. The list goes on and on. It's not surprising that the north chose this moment for his show trial.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The guy is an idiot I bet he couldn't find North Korea on a map before visiting there. Personally I think they should keep him. If or when he makes it back to the US he should be neutered. Some people shouldn't be aloud to breed.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Ahh OK. thank you. then he should have his hands lopped off for stealing then sent home.

That seems a tad more extreme than his current punishment.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

That seems a tad more extreme than his current punishment.

Well excuse me ONE hand. like in saudi arabia.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

www.masslive.com...

didn't anyone else see the article that I saw??? not just some dumb guy pulling a stunt in another country, not understanding the laws etc etc..... not only was he stealing it for some lady in the church,but, he was going to be given a car worth $10,000 , but, if he was unsuccessful they would donate $200,000 to a charitable cause of his mothers choosing.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
~Another Prize Winner!!!~

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Oh well.

That changes everything. I say let him stay.

Nothing noble or innocent about this. He will either make us negotiate with these psychos or risk our servicemen trying to get him out.

for what? A car? So some bumble Fish church somewhere can agitate our relations parading around this sign? So future tensions are higher?

Nope. This is his punishment. Its absurd BUT that is what happens in north Korea. Dont go.

It should be illegal to go. Now our government has to save him right? No.

They should make it illegal to go to places in a state of war with us.

edit on 3 19 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert good call to speak very softly and be very contrite He appeals to the inhuman judges of his humanity..He will "get his mind right" he has a long way to go to be able to show his remorse.I hope he didnt ask how the chow is. The peasants in NK are starving eating the bark from trees. This guy will be lucky to get a little rat meat once in a while and its probably too cold for cock roaches.I'm sorry no one talked him out of going.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: yuppa

www.masslive.com...

didn't anyone else see the article that I saw??? not just some dumb guy pulling a stunt in another country, not understanding the laws etc etc..... not only was he stealing it for some lady in the church,but, he was going to be given a car worth $10,000 , but, if he was unsuccessful they would donate $200,000 to a charitable cause of his mothers choosing.

The Lady should be extradited to North korea too then for putting him up to it. Make her kim jungs maid.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join