It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea sentences U.S. student to 15 years hard labor for taking a banner.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You know I generally like you, and you know I know that you wish America was still a colony (we aren't lol) but we are allies, and let me just say - if the smart people of Europe are responsible for the mass influx of refugees then I take pride in our lower education levels, evidently it equates to self preservation. Once again the kid made a mistake he's one of ours now detained by a tyrant we absolutely should have sympathy and work towards getting him home as mentioned fifteen years might as well be a death sentence.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Look I think will have to agree to disagree.

He willingly choose to visits North korea.

It is a sovereign nation with its own laws which he choose to break.

If it was a UK citizen I would have the exact same views.

In fact the U.S. has executed a few Brits and I really haven't cared so long as they were arrested within US borders.

Think the are a few Brits abroad in places like Thailand or Indonesia servng life or who have been executed for minor drug crimes which again I don't care about.

It's the risk one takes when you travel abroad.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
There are plenty of "adults" his age making life and death decisions every day on some stupid battlefield somewhere stupid.

There are plenty of people much older, than the person caught, doing idiotic things. Just look at congress.

When I visit foreign countries in Europe, Asia, or even California, I always try to learn as much as I can about where I'm going.

But that's just me.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

It's about time we spread freedom and democracy to the North Korean leadership, Kim would be wise to look over the past fifteen years of dictators and contemplate his fate. As for the kid

Look how well the counties you have already spread freedom to are doing , I'm sure Kim is looking at those and feeling a sense of security.
The USA should concentrate on putting its own house in order before messing around in others houses , the new Rome may well suffer the fate of the old.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I don't exactly disapprove of this decision.

1. At 21, you should be respectful enough to leave others property alone.
2. Why even go to NK during such contentious times....asking for trouble just being there.
3. Put 1 & 2 together and Why would a 21 year old go to NK and take anything not belonging to him?

Bet he doesn't steal again!
edit on 17-3-2016 by NewzNose because: typo

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

One of ours who took something belonging to Lil Kim. I'd give him 21 years, one equal for each year of his life where he clearly didn't learn to keep his hands to himself.

In some countries he'd lose his hands and be imprisoned forever!

I have zero empathy for the man. He isn't a kid.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

He willingly choose to visits North korea. It is a sovereign nation with its own laws which he choose to break. If it was a UK citizen I would have the exact same views. In fact the U.S. has executed a few Brits and I really haven't cared so long as they were arrested within US borders. Think the are a few Brits abroad in places like Thailand or Indonesia servng life or who have been executed for minor drug crimes which again I don't care about. It's the risk one takes when you travel abroad.

Right, what you have stated is fair,

Unless the one going is not fully educated about the risks.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

If one isn't educated enough to know to educate yourself against stealing in NK...one deserves what one gets.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

At 21 it is there responsibility to read up and research were they are going.

Should the U.S. goverment wipe your arse for you too?

Plus last time I checked stealing was illegal EVERYWHERE. So pretty much a no brainier.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

I have zero empathy for the man. He isn't a kid.

Take a look at the post by Blaine in the previous page regarding legal vs mental age.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
Right, what you have stated is fair,

At 21 who is responsible for educating themselves about the risks?! How much educating is needed to know that NorKs aren't friendly to the West, and that maybe you should be on your best behaviour there? I'm not unsympathetic in that I don't think the punishment fits the crime, but at the same time, I'm not about to make excuses for this foolish young man.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

At 21 it is there responsibility to read up and research were they are going.

Should the U.S. goverment wipe your arse for you too?

Plus last time I checked stealing was illegal EVERYWHERE. So pretty much a no brainier.

No, it shouldnt be the government.

It shouldve been a mentor or parental figure.

I will tell you the same as NewzNose. Take a gander Blaines post on the previous page.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
Take a look at the post by Blaine in the previous page regarding legal vs mental age.

You're right. At 21, you still have growing up to do. You know what kind of mistakes I didn't make at 21? I didn't steal. I didn't steal in North Korea. Because the threshold for responsibility and not doing those things is pretty low. This isn't a hazy moral dilemna, or cross-cultural misunderstanding. This is pretty standard right and wrong stuff.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

It's North Korea not some unknown state in the back of nowhere , ignorance would be a paper thin defence.
I'd be interested to know more about his alleged connections , there may be more to this than at first meets the eye.

edit on 17-3-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Same rule applies in either case. You don't steal at any legal or mental age without consequences.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

No, THE kicker is NORTH Korean tourism being an assinine idea for millennials.
Or ANYONE from the US in GENERAL.
edit on 17-3-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
why can't North Korea just ban him from the country and allow him to return home as a gesture of good will to show the world they're not as bat # crazy as everybody makes out ?

Simply put

They ARE bat sh!T crazy.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
I really don't think visiting North Korea is all that dangerous within itself... I personally have several family members who've traveled there.

But having said that, to go there and do something stupid, really is a bit like poking an angry bear with a pointy stick, lol... got to wonder what was going though this kids head, to be so careless?

It depends. You're probably ok if you don't break any rules. It's not breaking any rules that's the hard part, particularly for westerners from a very different culture where were used to different actions and words being acceptable.

Regardless, I would like to see this kid come home because the punishment is disproportionate but as much as I dislike saying it, North Korea is in the right here. He committed a crime against them on their soil, they can prosecute it however their country sees fit and politically they don't want to be seen as going soft. Not that being soft is a bad thing, but it's not an image they're interested in portraying.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
WELL look at the BRIGHT SIDE.. he will rather RAPIDLY learn a new language,he is one of a SELECT few Americans that has been on that side of the battlefield..and lived.
SO much for visiting war zones.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

No, THE kicker is NORTH Korean tourism being an assinine idea for millennials.
Or ANYONE from the US in GENERAL.

Why? I'd actually find it interesting to go there. Not at the top of my list but if someone paid for the tickets I'd go. It's fun going places most won't or you're told not to.

But per usual, I do my research beforehand and recognize different cultures have different ways in which they conduct themselves. The idea you can go to North Korea and steal, then expect to get away with it is some James Bond **** and this kid is a complete fool for undertaking that task.

Even Bond got caught.
edit on 17-3-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join