It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea sentences U.S. student to 15 years hard labor for taking a banner.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I think the north Koreans did everyone a favor he could go on eBay and for 20 $ buy a poster from north Korea. Now hes going to spend years on jail over 20$. As for north Korea you can't convince me 15 years is a normal sentence for taking a baner. Obviously his being an American had a lot to do with his sentence.

Why not? The US has given 15 years for destroying government property in the past. That's the type of sentencing they give to everyone not just Americans.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
You guys are making it sound like he commited an actual crime.

He did.

Stealing is bad. Stealing is wrong. Yes we know.
He stole a F#ing banner...
Its a petty theft.

Not in North Korea, where he was! Their country, their rules.

If you do not agree with their rules then :-
1/ Do not go there,
2/ Do not commit a crime their.

his choice.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
All I can imagine when I think about a NK prison is generations of prison guards who have never even heard the term "Human Rights" before.

Im surprised he is even breathing still. Being an American and breaking a law in NK. Im surprised he wasn't shot on sight.

Remember a South Korean tourist was shot for entering a restricted area in 2008.
www.washingtonpost.com...

This tourist was shot dead for wandering into a restricted area. What did this guy think was going to happen for stealing???

Hopefully natural selection works everything out in this instance. Stupidity is not a trait we want to pass on to future generations.
edit on 17-3-2016 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan That's the type of sentencing they give to everyone not just Americans.

Heck, the Norks are probably wondering why the Ugly American is getting off so lightly. You think a North Korean citizen would survive removing the Dear Leader's image from a public space?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
When you go to North Korea remember 2 things :

Everything is perfect and all are happy.

You are happy and you love everything.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I'm someone who wouldn't let my government dictate where and when I can go.

I'm also someone who takes responsibility for my actions when abroad.

What are you?
edit on 17-3-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan That's the type of sentencing they give to everyone not just Americans.
Heck, the Norks are probably wondering why the Ugly American is getting off so lightly. You think a North Korean citizen would survive removing the Dear Leader's image from a public space?

Ok ok, you can pick any other Country. Other than US or NK/SK.

They wouldnt get punished as severely.
edit on 17-3-2016 by frostie because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2016 by frostie because: Technical issues

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Yeap

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have to point something out. Yes, it's a ridiculous sentence. But in a strange way, the first thing that popped into my head was a comparison. He did something actually wrong, he took something that likely belonged to someone else (even if it is the state) and got a ludicrous punishment. We can all understand why stealing is wrong. Just as we can see how the punishment is harsh. So everyone is, appropriately, aghast at this affront to common sense.

On the other hand......people in the US are doing just as long sentences, if not longer, for something as simple as smoking or eating the wrong plant. Which is only wrong because the government said "because we said NO!!, that's why!!". A strange world indeed.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

On the other hand......people in the US are doing just as long sentences, if not longer, for something as simple as smoking or eating the wrong plant. Which is only wrong because the government said "because we said NO!!, that's why!!". A strange world indeed.

Sorry, but I've never heard of anyone getting a 15 year sentence in the US for recreational use of any plant.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

clemencyreport.org...

My bad. It's not necessarily the smoking of it, but the possession of it that's bad. Anyway, there's a few on there.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

A former DMZ soldier...AND yourself ?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

You do have a point about outrageous sentences when it comes to drugs.

These kids getting sentenced for small amounts just to go get raped in prison.

Its getting better now, but wouldnt get much better under Kasich.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Haven't read the entire thread, but here's my 2 cents:

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for this kid. None really. How any Westerner can justify/voluntarily to take a vacation in god damn North Korea of all places, giving money to the genocidal, communist dictator/government is beyond me.

Secondly, the kid strikes me as a typical Self-Hating Liberal White Beta Male, who was only going to NK to 'culturally enlighten' himself (or other such nonsense), for that I also have no sympathy. IF this is the case (and he is a Whiny White Liberal), then I say let him stay there, maybe he will see the god damn light on how good America actually is. If he is this type of person, I think he's gonna figure out how Progressive the US truly is, as opposed to the "Oppressive blah blah blah" here in the states.

All this being said, I'm sure he trial was not in any way fair, and quite obviously, the punishment does not fit the crime, but it doesn't change what I've said. He, as a Westerner who should know how brutal the dictatorship in North Korea is, VOLUNTARILY decided to vacation in North Korea. He can reap what he has sown. No two ways about it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You are right on about his display of emotion. In effect he removed any possibility of empathy from the Koreans in the court room, who would regard his emotionalism as unbecoming of an adult. He achieved the exact opposite of his intention. He dehumanized himself in their eyes. He gave them nothing they could relate to. In fact, his display would have created aversion and embarrassment in any Korean who might have been sympathetic to him, even his own lawyer.

When he did that, he became toxic in their eyes.

He should have been humble, dignified and contrite. He should have informed the court that he was poorly brought up in a country that prizes infantilism and petty delinquency. He should have apologized to the court for troubling it over such a trivial matter and requested to be deported.

The Koreans would have interpreted his actions as an attack on the dignity of the State by the Central Intelligence Agency. His job was to convince the court that he was not a professional hooligan but a typical, common garden variety juvenile delinquent.

All of this assumes, of course, that he was actually the author of his own speech.

edit on 18-3-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is retarded North Korea acting retarded as normal. I'm surprised they didn't execute him for this. This looks scripted a bit too.

But damn, the comments in the YouTube video of this are pure cancer. Bloody anti-white SJW trash/trolls everywhere in there.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

It's definitely a cultural gap. I don't think people understand how badly that went over with the Koreans. "Dehumanized" is probably a good turn of phrase.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

People who have had little experience with Asian cultures, particularly with Asian elites, will not realize how contemptible that sort of behavior is in their eyes, in an adult.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
People get shot in the back in the usa for theft, good to see the american Gi Joes acting all high and mighty on the internet.

If you dont want to do the time, dont do the crime.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Ok 2 things.

1 we should get him out.

2 STOP GOING TO NORTH KOREA!

I dont care about the reasoning. It is absurd. What the hell is wrong with people?

We are in a state of war with them. Did you miss the memo?

Now we have to barter and deal with these psychos. OR lose sevicemen trying to secure his freedom.

I would make a national declaration saying that from now on, if you go and get detained....good luck. Its on you.

Also, what? This prank is funny? You wanted the to give the banner as a trophy to your frat house?

Maybe parade it around?!

This is a very grown man. Not a child.

Get him out sure. But lets be honest. This is some insane BS on his part.

Also, end frat culture. What is this the freaking 60s? Act like life is not a game god damned it.

It should be illegal to go there
edit on 3 18 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join