It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I smoke because I want to

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
As am aside..a little fact.

Did you know that the reason that smoking can cause cancer isn't due to the actual smoking but due to the tabacco plants affinity for Polonium. It likes it and absorbs it . So you will normally find a higher Po level in the leaves and stems.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Simple solution. If someone is smoking there and it bothers you so much, then go somewhere else if they where there first.

I like to smoke cigars. I only smoke outside and normally move to an outer table when I do. If I can't I ask the people around if they mind.

As for the workers. You are not slaves that are forced to work there. If you apply for a position where there is smoking, then deal with it or don't work there.

These are very simple common sense solutions.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am a Libertarian and support your right to smoke or pretty much anything else you want to do.

Same. To further that I think if a private bar/restaurant wants to restrict smoking that is their prerogative and the same if they want to accommodate smokers. Let the free market dictate.

I bet the non smoking bars would be very lonely

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
a reply to: N3k9Ni

I am angry with the government. What have I ever done to any of them that led them to believe it's ok to treat me like a criminal? I have never done anything illegal in all my years. I have always worked hard and paid my taxes and I know damn well that I have never harmed anyone else as long as I have lived.

I could be wrong but I don't think the government has too much to do with keeping business owner's from allowing their clientele to smoke on private property...If a private restaurant/bar owner has a 'no-smoking' policy,you have to respect that policy. Your the only one being selfish by demanding private business owner's change their policy's to suit your preference.

Also your not a criminal...Last time I checked smoking tobacco for the most part is completely legal.

Most of the non-smoking is based on public laws, not on owners wishes. Of course that depends on the state also.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
I bet the non smoking bars would be very lonely

I would be willing to see what the free market determined.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

My Dad's a smoker...and he's dying a slow, miserable death. My Grandpa was a smoker, and he died a slow, miserable death. If that's how stubborn smokers want to die, than by all means, go ahead. But I don't want to see it anywhere I go. It reminds me of the pain that 1 stubborn smoker went through and the pain another stubborn smoker is going through.

It smells bad, looks bad and is bad for you and those around you. Change the narrative...what if someone said "I shoot heroin because I like too"...would you want to see that in public? Would you want to be eating your dinner with your family while some junkie addict is shooting up at the table across from you?

I can't stand it when smokers throw their cigarettes on the ground. I can't stand it when they smoke by the entrance of a building or restaurant, I can't stand it when I'm eating or having a drink at a bar and someone's smoking. It's gross and inconsiderate. I don't think it has anything to do with a totalitarian government or a dictatorship, it's simple manners and public health and safety. There's more to the world than your desire to light one up where ever you feel like.

But, outside the public venue...by all means...smoke 'em up.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
Anti-smokers are spiteful. I ask again - what did I ever do to them?

Your second hand smoke pollutes my air and you stink.

I don't have to accommodate your weakness for smoking. Go do it in the confines of your own car or house - keep away from people who aren't as weak as you and require the need to smoke.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
[BigG stands up]
Hello,
My name is Gordi, and I'm a NON-Smoker.

I feel so ashamed now, because I'm oppressing all of the smokers and restricting their right to inhale tobacco smoke.
It used to be ok.
Any and every time that I wanted to go out for a drink or a meal, I would be able to "enjoy" the stale, 2nd hand smoke of all those around me.
Every mouthful of food had that yummy stale smoke flavour for me to enjoy!
My parents would know that I'd been in the local pub the second I got home, simply from the smell of stale smoke on my clothes.
Happy days.

But then something happened.
They worked out that all this 2nd hand smoke was actually bad for me.
(The only difference between the smoke that I was breathing and the smoke that the smoker was breathing, is that their smoke was being filtered to remove at least some of the bad stuff, and mine (being 2nd hand) was not filtered at all.)

So, here in Scotland, they banned smoking in the pubs and restaurants, and later in all places of work too.
Now, when I go to a pub, restaurant or cafe it actually smells nice, fresh even.
I am not being forced to inhale 2nd hand smoke every time I decide that I'd like to go... anywhere!

Who'd have thought? Fresh air is great.

I'm all for personal freedoms, and against unnecessary legislation.
But smokers in general just didn't seem to get how horrible, nasty and disgusting smoking was/is to non-smokers, and by allowing it to continue in public places, we were in effect forcing non-smokers to inhale the un-filtered 2nd hand smoke of the smokers, every time they went into a public place.

Is that right?
Is that fair?

Smokers should have the right to smoke.
But that right shouldn't ever trump the right of the non-smoker to have access to fresh air instead of 2nd hand smoke.
Premises here have made great efforts to provide smokers shelters, covered areas where you can safely smoke no matter the weather, and that seems to work well.
It's all about common sense and recognising the rights of others.

As a quick postscript to this -
A previous employer of mine did not allow smoking on their premises, so all of the smokers were allowed to go outside to smoke.
They used to go in groups together to enjoy the social aspect of smoking and sharing a gossip, but that left the non-smokers (like me) "holding the fort" back in the office. My workload was being multiplied by having to cover for the large group of smokers who left the building 5 or 6 times a day, every day, for maybe 10 minutes at a time.
I began to think that this was unfair, and was curious about the social aspect of their group, so one day I joined them for a quick "fresh air" break and guess what....

I got called into the managers office to be reprimanded because I didn't smoke!!
I managed to turn it around by pointing out that all of the smokers were effectively getting an extra HOURS BREAK EVERY DAY and that I was covering for them, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. IMHO

kindest regards
G

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I do believe vaping or e-cigs should be completely permitted. I have asthma and cigarette smoke can cause serious reactions in me. It also increases my propensity for sinusitis and allergies. That said, e-cigs and vape pens and the like don't bother my lungs at all, and from what I can tell, appear to be comparatively safe.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Yup. Production in the work place is stunted when you have smokers on the team. All because of their "choice" to inhale a cig. Every job I've ever had has had smokers and their addiction will always take precedent over the job they're being paid for.

edit on 15-3-2016 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04
Two women I know that vape now have a black stain on their lips. Pretty disgusting.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Wow... a guy whining (literally) about the governments taking his individual right to toxify and ultimately degrade his body.

Your priorities are so f*d up.

You should thank the government to have the will power to do what you can't.

"I smoke because I like to".

Who cares? It's bad for you. Good to know your counter productive to your own life and body

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

I couldn't care less about aesthetic effects or who's disgusted with it. All I care about is whether it's more or less harmful. There are forms of vaping that apparently are as or more harmful in different ways than regularly smoking too of course. It all depends.

I vape with a dedicated vaporizer which is all glass on glass with no electronics exposed to the vapor path. But that's not always practical. I will not elaborate on what I vape, in deference to the T&C.

My point was/is, as I hope seems to be OP's, the some sort of compromise should be practicable.

Peace.
edit on 3/15/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
a reply to: rollanotherone

I couldn't care less about aesthetic effects or who's disgusted with it. All I care about is whether it's more or less harmful. There are forms of vaping that apparently are as or more harmful in different ways than regularly smoking too of course. It all depends.

I vape with a dedicated vaporizer which is all glass on glass with no electronics exposed to the vapor path. But that's not always practical. I will not elaborate on what I vape, in deference to the T&C.

My point was/is, as I hope seems to be OP's, the some sort of compromise should be practicable.

Peace.

I'm very curious about how exactly "some" form of vaping is bad for you. Could you please explain?

Not here to argue, just very curious about your take on it. Since you do vape as well, I'm pretty sure you've looked into this but as have I.

I vape with a 200W box mod with RDA. Usually popping it around 85 to 90W with Fused Clapton coils and untreated Japanese organic cottons. I sub-ohm at about .16 to .20 and hitting around 3.8V to 4.5V.

I'm curious as to what exactly constitute as "Bad Vaping". Again, not nit picking or arguing, just like to spread more knowledge around so that if there is a potential danger, I like the vape community to understand it better.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

It's going to be difficult to elaborate specifically without violating the T&C, unfortunately, because the easiest way to clarify what I was alluding to would be to provide links but... those I would provide are related to subject matter not appropriate for ATS.

Sufficed to say, certain vaporizer designs can be potentially more harmful than others for at least two reasons. 1) Combustion can occur rather than vaporization in some, and depending on the specific compounds being vaporized, that can be quite harmful potentially, and 2) certain vapor paths are exposed to electronics which, over time, may potentially out-gas substances which are known carcinogens.

I chose an all glass vapor path design for this reason, with no exposure to electronics.

In general, it appears all vaporizing is in theory safer than smoking... except in those cases described which, in theory at least, could prove even more harmful in some respects. That said, vaporizing is very likely always going to be less inflammatory for airways and tissue, which is my main concern as an asthmatic.

Peace.
edit on 3/15/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/15/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

My favorite bar actually has a sign that says smoking is encouraged lol
As far as where and when I smoke, I normally smoke outside. Children and Pets in the house and all, but in the cold or rain I smoke where I bloody well want to, it is after all my house.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Being a smoker in America isn't fun. I got addicted in the Army. I can't stop, and although I know I should stop, I don't want to. There are few things I enjoy in life more than a cigarette. It's a main reason I am in China. China is a smoking paradise. Cigarettes are plentiful, cheap and first rate Virginia tobacco. There is no shunning or put downs for people that smoke in China. Friends greet each other with a cigarette. Ashtrays are in almost every home. I am not prejudiced in employment and by society as well. Smoking laws have been introduced. They are seen as the new imperialism. The Chinese won the Anti-Japanese War, they won't live by their rules.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
a reply to: truthseeker84

It's going to be difficult to elaborate specifically without violating the T&C, unfortunately, because the easiest way to clarify what I was alluding to would be to provide links but... those I would provide are related to subject matter not appropriate for ATS.

Sufficed to say, certain vaporizer designs can be potentially more harmful than others for at least two reasons. 1) Combustion can occur rather than vaporization in some, and depending on the specific compounds being vaporized, that can be quite harmful potentially, and 2) certain vapor paths are exposed to electronics which, over time, may potentially out-gas substances which are known carcinogens.

I chose an all glass vapor path design for this reason, with no exposure to electronics.

In general, it appears all vaporizing is in theory safer than smoking... except in those cases described which, in theory at least, could prove even more harmful in some respects. That said, vaporizing is very likely always going to be less inflammatory for airways and tissue, which is my main concern as an asthmatic.

Peace.

The vapor path part is very interesting, which you could say more without breaking the T&C?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9NiI smoke because I want to, I enjoy it, it’s as simple as that.

I used to say I loved it. I quit and realized that was all BS.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

Where I live, the government has put a ban on smoking in all bars and restaurants. Some bar owners tried to fight it and were closed down and/or arrested.

I stand corrected!
Did they also ban smoking in public places?

in the usa you can't smoke in the hospital parking lots and in general you have be 30 feet from the buildings and I think you can't smoke in the parks either

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join