It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I smoke because I want to

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
OP, if your cigarette smoke did not affect my health, I'd say the law is unfair. The fact is, it does affect everyone around you. If you don't care about the effects to your own body, good for you. As a libertarian I support your rights up to and until they infringe upon mine. That being said, your cancerous smoke in my lungs is harmful to me, which you clearly need to be prevented from doing.

Frankly I'm appalled that I even have to explain that to you.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: glowdog

the thought that my smoke could be inconvenient for others is inconvenient for me.

You actually serious with that comment ?

You literally just said said you find your conscience inconvenient.........

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

I was like you, loved a smoke wouldn't change it for the world, each one I had was like a little treat, did it for 20 years. But don't fool yourself through addiction they are the most poisonous little treats ever put forth to mankind. Do what you want but don't be fooled. I've quit and will never look back.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
A wise owner of a bar or restaurant will try and accommodate their smoking patrons using special air filters or designated outdoor spaces. I also think a private business owner should be able to decide what the smoking policy is at their establishment. It would also be nice if airports and hospitals provided designated smoking areas, these are already stressful places and it's near impossible once you enter the premises to have a cig .

For the smoker's part, they need to keep smoking areas clean and not litter with their cig butts in outdoors spaces. They should also walk away from other people's immediate "air space" to smoke, that's fair and reasonable.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I wonder if smoking actually helps a person fight off cancer. It causes a mucus lining in the lungs that prevent nuclear 'hot' particles from embedding into the lung tissue. Here is a interesting writeup:

web.archive.org...://vialls.net/transpositions/smoking.html

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Sounds like the addiction talking.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoyBatty
OP, if your cigarette smoke did not affect my health, I'd say the law is unfair. The fact is, it does affect everyone around you. If you don't care about the effects to your own body, good for you. As a libertarian I support your rights up to and until they infringe upon mine. That being said, your cancerous smoke in my lungs is harmful to me, which you clearly need to be prevented from doing.

People who hold this opinion are so freaking stupid.

Yes that cigarette you smelled briefly is the worst thing you'll inhale all day. Not the car exhaust, or industrial pollution, or any number of carcinogenic material you came into contact with on any given day. NOPE its the cigarette that is going to kill you.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It is difficult to understand how some obviously intelligent individuals still defend smoking where in today's world the science and biology regarding tobacco smoking addiction is so widely available and explained in terms that a 3rd grader can easily grasp.

Smoke if you must. Try to understand why you must smoke. Identify the trigger that causes you to reach for that next smoke. It occurs periodically on a fairly regular timetable. That's the beginning of understanding. Ask yourself "what is making me want to get up and smoke right now"? Pause before giving in to it and notice what is going on in your body and brain. Take the next step. Either free yourself by being willing to experience the discomfort or indulge and remain addicted.

Don't expect those of us who enjoy smoke free breathing to be supportive of your addiction. Do not expose us to your smoke.

I smoked regularly for about six months when I was in high school back in the late 1960s. I started smoking in response to peer pressure. My first drag off a cigarette was a nauseating experience. When with my "peer" group after school, we smoked and drank beer.

I was otherwise healthy and athletic and worked one and sometimes two jobs while in high school.

In the summer of 1968 I was driving my Chevrolet Impala 327 convertible on a beautiful sunny day in rural south east Wisconsin. I had a fresh pack Marlboro filtered cigs. I reached for the pack robotically. Tapped it down. Opened it. The odor of sweet tobacco fill my sense of smell. I started to pull a cigarette out and, before lighting it, I realized that I am doing this because I feel an achy pain in my lungs. Then I realized that I feel the pain because of my smoking. I then threw the full pack of Marlboros to the side of the road and continued driving and enjoyed the sweet fresh air of the Wisconsin countryside.

I quit cold turkey.

Forty-seven years later and I have not smoked since and have had no desire to.

I hope this story helps at least one of you quit.

edit on 3/27/2016 by dubiousone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

originally posted by: RoyBatty

People who hold this opinion are so freaking stupid.

Yes that cigarette you smelled briefly is the worst thing you'll inhale all day. Not the car exhaust, or industrial pollution, or any number of carcinogenic material you came into contact with on any given day. NOPE its the cigarette that is going to kill you.

Car pollution and industrial pollution are a necessary evil we have to live with. Your smoke is not. Simple eh? So, who's stupid?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join