It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I smoke because I want to

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigScaryStrawman
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The real problem is entire cities banning smoking anywhere other than on your own personal property. I could get pulled over & ticketed/fined for smoking a cig while driving. The government loves making money on things while claiming its for our own health concerns.

No that isn't a problem at all because it isn't as widespread as you want to believe it is. How many tickets have YOU gotten for smoking while driving? Or did you just read about it online or in the newspaper?

Smoking in non-smoking areas is a rule I greatly enjoy breaking. Especially at restaurants, because everyone knows thatif you don't smoke a cigarette after eating then your meal is ruined.

I'd enjoy having you thrown out by management.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

You do realize that there are more restrictions on drinking alcohol than on cigarettes right? Oh and don't get me started on drugs or marijuana.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
There's no evidence whatsoever that putting draconian taxes on cigarettes has made a single difference... yet, every few months I seem to be paying more for a pack!

In New York City they are getting more stringent with tax enforcement on cigarettes due to falling revenue in which a significant part of that is attributed to less smokers.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Firstly, I already stated I don't smoke around people who also don't smoke (nor do I smoke inside, as I live in California) but there are several cities in Cali now that have banned smoking & more will follow suit as time goes on. I happen to live right next to one of these cities (calabasas) & go there often. While I haven't been pulled over for having a cig in hand, it is still in the realm of possibility as it is a very real law.

A bar I go to recently put up a no smoking sign on their patio. I lit up anyways. A fellow patron pointed out the sign to me. I laughed & said they can come tell me to put it out themselves. Almost everyone on the patio then followed suit & lit up. No management ever came & told us to stop so maybe you're just more sensitive & vindictive than most people.
edit on 14-3-2016 by BigScaryStrawman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I've heard cigs are $13 a pack in New York! Don't people know you can order cartons online at $2.50 a pack? Anyone who lets government influence their nicotine intake via taxes just isn't being creative enough.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BigScaryStrawman

Actually I was referring to if you were inside. I could care less if you are smoking outside. I'm of the idea that smoking outside is good enough of a restriction since it allows the smoke to dissipate easier. I certainly don't want to ban smoking though.

ETA: I really also don't care if you smoke in your car. It's your car. You have to deal with the smell and the tobacco smoke ruining your interior. Not me.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I've lived in Cali too long, I forget you're allowed to smoke inside in other states. My last trip to Louisiana was rather enjoyable, but smoking inside still felt really weird haha

Idk, it's just not something that bothers me at all. Maybe it's because I'm a smoker, maybe my senses are just shot to hell anyways. But like I said before, I quite enjoy second hand smoke & always have, long before I took up smoking myself.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler. Maybe it's the fact I have no roof on the majority of the time or maybe it's the leather seats or maybe it's the fact I drive around burning incense but my car literally never smells like cig smoke & my girlfriend says neither do I.
edit on 14-3-2016 by BigScaryStrawman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

All my friends smoke and I've never smoked a cigarette in my life. I'm used to being around second hand smoke from hanging in their basements or wherever. I just hated how I'd go to a smokey bar pre-indoor smoking ban and have to leave 2 hours later with an asthma attack because I couldn't breath right in there. That's why standing outside and smoking is good enough for me. Y'all can get your fix, and I can breath easily while in public.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigScaryStrawman
I've heard cigs are $13 a pack in New York! Don't people know you can order cartons online at $2.50 a pack? Anyone who lets government influence their nicotine intake via taxes just isn't being creative enough.

I believe New York made that illeagal if they do not have a New York tax stamp.

edit on 14-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Your position is normal & acceptable. Now if only everyone shared it, smokers & non smokers alike could exist in harmony.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh good, one more bullet point to add on my "Why New York Blows" list. The Czech Republic floor sweeps have been good to me. Can't find lucky strike crushes anywhere else.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I also don't agree with e-cig restrictions. I think those things are the greatest invention in cigarette technology, ever. I certainly don't mind sitting next to someone who is vaping. Hell, I don't even notice it if they are using one of those custom vaping things that blows out giant clouds. The air around them just starts smelling sweet (or whatever their flavor is) for a few minutes then goes back to normal.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Bazingaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm sure other have mentioned already, but just wanted to chime in on it as well.

1. I disagree with wanting to smoke and therefore you can. You share this planet with others, and it would be a civilized thing to do being considerate for other's health.

For instance, you can't just smoke anywhere. How about in public transportation? How about on an airplane? How about in Disneyland? The list goes on, no you can't and should not be allowed to smoke anywhere, anytime you want. Freedom is great, but not the kind that harm others while you're enjoying it.

It's also the #1 reason I hate going to Las Vegas.

2. I agree with your suggestion of making smoking only places. See, this is where I support your ideas. Why can't the government just allow certain establishments to be smoking? If you're not a smoker, don't fking go there, done deal.

3. E-Cig should not allowed everywhere. If you ever been to a E-Cig store, you'll know why. The place is constantly Hot Boxed. Some people find that annoying, again, you're sharing this planet with others, it would be nice if you can be considerate once in a while.

What I hate about the attitude towards E-Cig is that somehow these numb nuts thinks it's the same thing as smoking a cigarette, it is not! So why should all E-Cig smokers be hurdled together along with regular smokers?

For God sake, some people took on the E-Cig solely because they want to quit smoking normal cigarettes and these assholes with logical fallacies just puts everyone together.

Example, everywhere I go, everywhere I travel, the moment I want to smoke my 0mg nicotine drip mod, I am told to go to the smoking area. Where I'm second hand smoking off of all the carbon monoxide puffers around me. This is what bothers me the most to be honest.

Lobby for this sh*t, E-Cig users should have their own dedicated areas, AWAY from regular cigarette users.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Staunch libertarian here,

I agree that you should be allowed to do whatever you'd like as long as you don't harm others. With that being said I deliver oxygen to ailig patients in their homes. As long as you're going to continue smoking take the advice of someone who knows your future.

Believe your doctor when he says that you need oxygen! Like a boiling frog, you have little perspective to recognize how crappy you feel. The oxygen Machine will help you sleep, remember and be independent just a little while longer. You have about two years at best before your dead or bed ridden.

When the delivery driver shows up with your nifty new machine, turn off the tv! Seriously give the guy who brought you life giving oxygen enough attention to not have to call him the next day and explain it all again because you don't think they told you how to use it.

Don't smoke while wearing your oxygen cannula or within 20 minutes of taking it off! Two of my patients have lit themselves on fire this way in two years. Want a visual? The flames don't just blow up around you... the flame goes down your throat and into your lungs searing them. Good news, you're not going to die from cancer anymore. Nope! It'll be pneumonia.

Now, if you have pets or don't like to dust your house then your machine won't last very long. In the same way that you have spent years ruining your lungs ability to process oxygen, your new machine will also start to choke from the dirt. These machines run 24/7 which means they need to stay clean. If you don't have the cleaning gene it's time to pick up a new skill.

Also think about removing all the mirrors from your house. Unless you're fascinated by the thought of watching your own flesh turn grey dart after day. And get used to not shaking people's hands and wearing long sleeves. Due to the poor o2 level in your blood you will bruise very easily.

Don't bother asking the delivery guy how long you have to use oxygen for. The good news is only a few years at most. The bad news? That's about how long you'll have left to live. You'll likely die wearing it.

Lastly, if you always wanted to go somewhere on a vacation or to see some monument, do it now. Don't wait! You absolutely will regret not being able to travel when your family has a say over wether you can.

So smoke up, the more of you that get walking cancer, the more job security for me. I hope your insurance is awesome.

I love this country.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Mrgone because: the fun

edit on 14-3-2016 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

The law is simple and easy to understand. If it is a family owned business, one where only family members work, then smoking is allowed in most states. If, however, the bar/restaurant employs non-family members then it is a workplace hazard, governed by OSHA and smoking is prohibited. I don't smoke, hate being around it, but also do not like government getting involved in our lives where it doesn't belong. This one, however, I agree with.

Before the laws began to change, I simply avoided restaurants and bars I did not enjoy myself in. Ones where smoking was allowed topped the list. As a smoker, you may not have an appreciation what it is like to be around smokers when you don't have the habit. I am sure you have heard this before so I won't lecture you. But an employee does not have the choice. He or she must show up to work and endure the unhealthy environs, breathing second hand smoke.

My advice to you is to find a family owned bar that allows it and have fun.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

I quit smoking 5 months ago because all of the restrictions. I found it very difficult because I have smoked for 35 years. The company I work for makes me pay extra for my health insurance because of the smoking. I must be smoke free for 1 year to pay what a non smoker pays.

I am vaping now and have reduced my nicotine consumption by half. Unfortunately many public places do not allow you vape. I used to enjoy having a cigarette with a cup of coffee outside of a coffee house but many do not allow anymore. I have noticed the smell of cigarettes on people now that I have quit but it does not bother me. I believe it is all a matter of perception for the non smoker. I remember flying on air craft that allowed it years ago and nobody seemed upset then as it was deemed normal.

I know smoking is bad for you and so does everyone else. I cannot see allowing smoking sections in restaurants anymore but why not a bar? People are consuming alcohol and it can be bad for you too if not consumed in moderation. I also would get indignant when smoking outside and away from any entrance and see someone being smug and wave at empty air and make disgusting faces.

It is also difficult to be in an airport for a long time and not be able to vape.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
I will give up, however I will not go the way of E-Cigarettes, once it's gone it's gone.

I would suggest if you do end up quitting, to look into e-cigs. those things work great
I smoked for decades. was doing 2 packs a day by the end, e-cig for a couple years stepping down and voila..done with no issues.

Just something to consider.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
All i can say on this subject is that the only time ive had to ever get physical in the last 8 or so years is when some ignorant ass hole blows smoke in my face im so glad its banned its horrible and the smell makes me sick...

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theruthlessone
All i can say on this subject is that the only time ive had to ever get physical in the last 8 or so years is when some ignorant ass hole blows smoke in my face im so glad its banned its horrible and the smell makes me sick...

Nothing makes my blood boil more than going to a nice beach, sticking my hand in the sand and feeling or seeing cig butts. So disgusting!

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join