It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I smoke because I want to

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
a reply to: Metallicus

I totally agree but I don't think the government should be the one to decide if I can smoke in a private establishment. It should be up to the owner. If someone doesn't want to be where smoking is allowed, they should go to a non smoking establishment.

I am cool with that...let the market decide. I am completely happy with going to a non-smoking establishment and letting you have your smoking establishment. The only downside is we might never meet and become friends because of tobacco smoke.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Unfortunately you might only consider stopping when your diagnosed with cancer or suffer a stoke. Not being a downer, but it's probably going to be something like that, will be the only thing that stops you, but you don't need me telling you that, when its plastered all over the packaging.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

The non smokers will go anywhere this is all BS.

They just want to party and hang without a small inconvenience of smelling like smoke, so they can appreciate the true bar stink.

But why bother when you can make the government do everything to fellow citizens its not supposed to do?

Problem solved! Make a law and impose your will on others!!!

Hooray, our non smoking side one!

Lol, being dumb here to make a point.

Have a good day
Smoke em if you got em

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

I love second hand smoke, that's why I took up first hand smoking to begin with.
Everybody dies, I choose lung cancer.
I try not to smoke around people that don't, but some people are just too dang sensitive to every little thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I ask again - what did I ever do to them? I am not asking to sit at their table and blow smoke in their face.

Let me give you a little hint about gases, they waft and fill the space they are in . So you sitting at the table next to us doesnt really make a difference.

To answer what you have done to us? Passive smoke, cig butts everywhere, cig butts in the sand at beaches, disgusting ashtrays full of ash on tables and the disgusting smell of your smoke all over us after just a few minutes around you. I would also prefer not see kids breathing in your crap.

That enough? I dont care if you smoke, my parents smoked packets a day...just do it in your own home, just like i like to have a wank sometimes, but ill keep it to with my 4 walls.

Oh and by the way, i don't really care about people smoking around me, my friends do, my parents do and im used to it and i would never ask someone to stop. But it IS a disgusting habit for us non smokers to be around. Hell, even my smoker friends find all those things i listed disgusting
edit on 13-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Totally agree with this post.

And while you don't blow smoke in people's faces, if they can smell the smoke it is affecting them (literally, when we smell something it is going into our bodies. When you smell poop, poop is going up your nose!)

I have no problems with E-cigs though. It's too bad so many have banned them when so many smokers have been willing to compromise on their habit.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

Totally agree with this post.

And while you don't blow smoke in people's faces, if they can smell the smoke it is affecting them (literally, when we smell something it is going into our bodies. When you smell poop, poop is going up your nose!)

I have no problems with E-cigs though. It's too bad so many have banned them when so many smokers have been willing to compromise on their habit.

Banning E-Cigs is ridiculous. I agree. If smokers are forced to compromise then they should be allowed to smoke these indoors in all locations. The ad agency i used to work at didn't allow them which i thought was stupid.

I say the same thing about poop too...LOL
edit on 13-3-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigScaryStrawman
a reply to: WhiteHat

I try not to smoke around people that don't, but some people are just too dang sensitive to every little thing.
Nothing personal but I will use your statement as an example of my situation. I was born in 1962, so I grew up when there was little awareness of the effects of smoking and probably no awareness of the effects of passive smoking. Both parents smoked so myself and my brothers were heavy passive smokers. I saw my Father die of a heart attack when I was 16, the heart attack was due to all the major poor life style choices, heavy smoking being one of them. 5 years ago I turned off the life support for my Mother, wholly and solely due to failed lungs. 2 years later the Father in Law, also a heavy smoker, went out painfully with lung cancer. For most of my life whenever I smell smoke, and living in West Australia the air is very clean so even the slightest whiff of smoke in the outdoors goes a long way, the smoke causes a physiological response, not strong, but there everytime. You know what they say about smells being such a strong trigger for memories, emotions etc. So I would rather not smell ciggy smoke.
Also, on a broader point, living in Australia we have a comprehensive free public health system as a safety net, paid for by.... you guessed it.. the taxpayers. So, as a collective population we try and avoid unnecessary health expenditure, especially voluntary self-inflicted damage, and smoking is one of those. We would prefer the taxes be spent on other areas of health and medicine. Therefore as a country we are slowly legislating cigarettes out of existence, and it seems to be working. Anyway, thats just my 20cents worth.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I was just about to start rolling some ciggs and then I saw this thread. I smoke too, but not around people who don't smoke. People who mentioned butts all over beaches and other places. A simple piece of aluminum foil to keep them rolled up into until you find a trash can is a solution.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I was just about to start rolling some ciggs and then I saw this thread. I smoke too, but not around people who don't smoke. People who mentioned butts all over beaches and other places. A simple piece of aluminum foil to keep them rolled up into until you find a trash can is a solution.

If only everyone was as conscious as you are about disposing of your butts responsibly.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

When in public, stealth vape. No one would even know. But, I understand where you're coming from.

edit on 31416 by ckhk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I am a Libertarian and support your right to smoke or pretty much anything else you want to do. I think the root problem you have is your smoking often affects others. I find tobacco smoke to be very unpleasant so my question is don't you think other people have a right to not inhale your potentially unhealthy choices?

This. Should be the end of the thread. As they say, your rights end where mine begin, and I have the right to not breathe in smoke.

PS...I smoked for 13 years and still crave...I'm not against you smoking. I just don't feel that others should have to share in it unless they also choose to light up. I had that respect for non-smokers when I smoked. I think it's reasonable.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I don't smoke and well, don't enjoy it from the smell to the habit(I do find it gross to say the least what it does to your hair, skin, nails and voice to start) and for health reasons based on family history.

Though, if you want to and though I don't advocate doing so, and if you must please resort to not hurting anyone by blowing smoke at them or otherwise, smoking around children or pets, polluting or causing fires, etc.

I must say, if you're going to make a comment similar to how people have treated me as a vegetarian(You don't know what you're missing by not eating meat!) and not expect a retort or want health advice on why to quit, I'd be happy to give that.

Op quote;

They are free to believe all the piffle they are fed, if it suits their own phobic prejudice, but they have no right to micro-manage my life or that of anyone else who disagrees with them, or is more tolerant than they are.

No exactly, they don't have business telling others what to do, unless it's harming others. I don't believe it's piffle knowing so many people any that have passed from lung cancer and emphysema due to smoking.

Speaking of being angry at the government's influence, anyone else find it ironic that the government shut down marijuana and hemp, which is less harmful than cigs with cancer filters, but hyped up cigarette smoking for taxes for one(thanks Bernays)?

edit on 14-3-2016 by dreamingawake because: added me.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Let snuff be the answer.😃

Here in Germany,there are bars that are "smokers only" which is a nice idea.

The government here are trying to restrict or even ban e-cigs.Funny politicians.They raised the taxes on tobacco to "protect" us and now that millions of ex-smokers are now vapers,it's time to "protect" us again.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

im a smoker,i love smoking, prefer to smoke weed though. only a few years ago governments where promoting smoking cigarettes as "cool , get girls etc etc"

now it is looked down upon for the right reasons. ?It is bad for our health, the more scientific research has proved this.It
does not mean you will suffer ill health or get cancer, but opens doors to get ill.

Smoking you just have to be considerate, yes kill ourselves but dont let other people get your smoke and put them at risk.
i thin kits good we cant smoke inside, i smoke less and prefer smoking outside also. if you smoke before you go into the venue, then nip out for one, What's the problem?? is it just principle?

these E-cigarettes are even worse, we know what we getting with cigarettes. We are guinea pigs of the E-Cig generation. The amount of different health problems people will develop in the next 30 years will be quite shocking.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I smoke because I want to, I enjoy it, it’s as simple as that. If I ever give up it will be if and when I want to.

I enjoy taking a good crap everyday too, and I'm not giving that up any time soon either, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to crap wherever I want to. For sanitary and health reasons we have areas where people crap, and for health reasons we have areas where people can smoke.

"Do you mind if I smoke here?

A: Not at all, Do you mind if I crap here?" Kind of the same mentality. People don't want a polluted a public space.

edit on 14-3-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Smokers can be so selfish with their habits... Yes, we get that you want to smoke, but that doesn't mean that WE have to breath in your hobby. Go stand outside. It's not illegal to smoke cigarettes, you just can't smoke indoors.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Prezbo369
It's about forcing others to inhale your smoke and bear the stink of tobacco (or w/e), all because you want to smoke.

You don't get to inflict that on other people, not anymore.

Walking by someone smoking will not kill you. Sitting next to someone in a restaurant for an hour who is smoking, will not kill you.

It could seriously harm someone with asthma.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The real problem is entire cities banning smoking anywhere other than on your own personal property. I could get pulled over & ticketed/fined for smoking a cig while driving. The government loves making money on things while claiming its for our own health concerns.
Smoking in non-smoking areas is a rule I greatly enjoy breaking. Especially at restaurants, because everyone knows thatif you don't smoke a cigarette after eating then your meal is ruined.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Avtur

Therefore as a country we are slowly legislating cigarettes out of existence, and it seems to be working. Anyway, thats just my 20cents worth.

A pack of cigarettes doesn't cost $35 in the US... yet they have a lower rate of smokers per capita and their rate of smoking is falling at about the same rate as Australia.

There's no evidence whatsoever that putting draconian taxes on cigarettes has made a single difference... yet, every few months I seem to be paying more for a pack!

I may be able to afford it, but there's plenty of poor people out there who have kids and very little luxuries in life, but cigarette's... the Government needs to back off exploiting poor people, by using methods to claim taxes that amount to straight out extortion!!!

Anti-smoking policies have gone from just petty to out right harassment.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join