It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why multiculturalism is bad for society

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

Perhaps some do. However, as I stated earlier, is the problem is that all of these people are already in Europe. There needs to be an adequate idea of how to deal with this. Would you suggest sending them all back? That would be logistically impossible and it isn't going to happen. Does it bother me that most of the photos I see are of fighting age men? Yeah it does. I'm also bothered by the opportunists and the "economic Migrants". It is however, more complex than that. Did the West destroy their economies? If so is Europe now reaping what it helped to sow? As far as criminal behavior and the fact that many are being held to a lower standard due to cultural sensitivity and PC, that's BS. They should in fact be held to a higher standard as they are guests and should be punished and deported. There is no simple answer to this and I do not proclaim to have it. This thread however is about the political theory of multiculturalism, not the migrant crisis. I felt the topic appropriate however, because of the migrant crisis.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: s3cz0ne

Point blank, Multiculturalism is stupid and will not work. Assimilation, the great melting pot as it was works.

By the way, for our brain damaged audience, Multiculturalism and Assimilation are not the same thing.

Assimilation would be defined by most Americans as the country’s acceptance of hard-working immigrants who want to bring their cultural experiences to the table while simultaneously picking up essential American values. Assimilation is beneficial to society.

Multiculturalism, on the other hand, is proving destructive to society. As taken from recent comments of British Prime Minister David Cameron, today’s multiculturalism has become a “weakening of a national collective identity” through a gradual overhaul of centuries-old American traditions in order to capitulate to every demand of every culture of immigrant in the United States. Recent widespread European critique of multiculturalism, as publicly stated by the chief leaders of France, Great Britain, and Germany, has implications for the United States and provides lessons from which to learn.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

It is one thing to have people of multiple cultural background coming to your country to live. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is quite another to say that because they have that other cultural background, it MUST have equal importance to the dominant culture of the country they move to.

In order to have a coherent society, there must be one over-riding culture. Generally speaking the rule should be "When in Rome ..." People who move to a place do so because the culture of that place makes it a better place to live, and they are often leaving a place because the culture of that place has made it somewhere they cannot make a good living. That does not mean they have to scrap all of their cultural ways, but it might be a signal that the culture they are moving to has figured some things out that their own culture has not.

For example, we have cultures all over the globe that understand the concept of meeting times in different ways. In some cultures, the meeting happens at the time it has been set. In other cultures, the meeting happens when everyone who is supposed to be there shows up. In some cultures, the meeting time is more of a suggestion in the sense that the actual business will not start until some minutes after the set time, even IF everyone who is supposed to be there shows up at the set time.

Taking the example above, if we are to give all cultures equal precedence, this creates cultural chaos. There needs to be an agreed upon dominance. Maybe you think the meeting shouldn't start until everyone is there, but where you move to the rule is that the meeting starts at the set time. Well then, you adjust to make sure you are there at the set time, and if you are meeting with compatriots all of your own culture, then you default to your own rules.

You can see similar differences in dining etiquette and other points of etiquette.

Enforcing a strict multi-cultural approach that puts every culture on the same level and all of equal importance only creates a chaos in rules which serves to separate and divide people who will start to fight over which way it should be among themselves. After all, all cultures are equal right? So why should we do it your way, when we are told that mine is just as good and to NOT do it my is to actively discriminate against me for not being like you?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Multiculturalism is only a problem when Muslims are involved. They are the only culture that will not assimilate and it seems
the rest of the world is starting to agree.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Point blank, Multiculturalism is stupid and will not work. Assimilation, the great melting pot as it was works.

By the way, for our brain damaged audience, Multiculturalism and Assimilation are not the same thing.

Assimilation would be defined by most Americans as the country’s acceptance of hard-working immigrants who want to bring their cultural experiences to the table while simultaneously picking up essential American values. Assimilation is beneficial to society.

Multiculturalism, on the other hand, is proving destructive to society. As taken from recent comments of British Prime Minister David Cameron, today’s multiculturalism has become a “weakening of a national collective identity” through a gradual overhaul of centuries-old American traditions in order to capitulate to every demand of every culture of immigrant in the United States. Recent widespread European critique of multiculturalism, as publicly stated by the chief leaders of France, Great Britain, and Germany, has implications for the United States and provides lessons from which to learn.

One word. Agreed.

I had to add an edit to my op so that people would read the article and understand what the concept of multiculturalism actually is, why it is not beneficial to society and why it has nothing to do with disliking or discriminating against different cultures or peoples. Like the poster below you put it; "When in Rome".

EDIT: You have put the argument that I have been trying to make, albeit in a rather clumsy fashion, in a very succinct manner. The point here is multiculturalism IS NOT assimilation AND cultural diversity!
edit on 13-3-2016 by s3cz0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Seems to work fine in canada, the kids of immigrants usualy tend to adopt there new country, the more the generations go by, the less of a difference in the way they adapt there lives.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: s3cz0ne

Perhaps some do. However, as I stated earlier, is the problem is that all of these people are already in Europe. There needs to be an adequate idea of how to deal with this. Would you suggest sending them all back? That would be logistically impossible and it isn't going to happen. Does it bother me that most of the photos I see are of fighting age men? Yeah it does. I'm also bothered by the opportunists and the "economic Migrants". It is however, more complex than that. Did the West destroy their economies? If so is Europe now reaping what it helped to sow? As far as criminal behavior and the fact that many are being held to a lower standard due to cultural sensitivity and PC, that's BS. They should in fact be held to a higher standard as they are guests and should be punished and deported. There is no simple answer to this and I do not proclaim to have it. This thread however is about the political theory of multiculturalism, not the migrant crisis. I felt the topic appropriate however, because of the migrant crisis.

As it stands there are 2 choices.

1 watch as Europes leaders destroy it through idiocy.

2 send them all packing to whence they came.

Don't even waste any money or resources deporting them.

Make it illegal with a $10,000 fine per illegal, either fed housed or employed in any manner.

I bet they find their way back home just like they found their way to Europe.

Problem solved.

Short of that, the EU is finished as a we know it.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

My thoughts exactly!
Multiculturalism it's ok as long as it happens naturally, over time and in doses that people can handle and assimilate.
When it is forced upon people in huge doses and a small period of time it's only an obvious tactic of "divide and conquer".
S&F for a brave thread.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

OK. What happens to the actual refugees coming from real warzones? The children, women, elderly and even some of the young men? I'm talking about legitimate refugees and not the opportunists that arriving from safe areas in Irag, Afghanistan and elsewhere. Most of have seen the Iraqis that were deported from either Finland or Norway (I think) that were kissing the ground in Baghdad. Yeah get those people out. Germany's government isn't all that happy about Afghans that are arriving from safe areas whilst their military is deployed there. The point is, again, we must find a way to facilitate assimilation. The POLICY of multiculturalism is in fact hindering that goal and is in fact producing the opposite results as compared to stated goals. Europe, at this point, is trying to shut down the mass migration by closing the Balkan routes and this new 1 for 1 deal with Turkey. I don't even want to get into Turkey and their role in helping to create refugees in order to have very effective blackmail against the EU.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

Divide and Conquer is exactly what it is! I'm glad some of us can see what is happening without being overtaken by emotion. That goes for either side of the aisle. Emotions run high on each side.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Seems to work fine in canada, the kids of immigrants usualy tend to adopt there new country, the more the generations go by, the less of a difference in the way they adapt there lives.

I was thinking the same. Canada does it right with controlled immigration. There's even pocket communities inside cities, populated by almost exclusively Chinese, or Italians, or Portugese (sp?), Phillipines, etc etc where it's nice to visit to go get specialty foods, or things predominantly from that culture from their local shops. Canadians are a curious bunch, we like to learn about different traditions, different foods.

The problems come in when millions of immigrants from third world countries are invited in all at once. That's a culture shock from both sides and governments should be smarter than that

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

The problems come in when millions of immigrants from third world countries are invited in all at once. That's a culture shock from both sides and governments should be smarter than that

I agree. The big question is what the he|| is the solution? Governments are already making policies to address this but those policies result in the natives being held to a different and unfair standard than the guests. That appears to be changing, far too late unfortunately. Again, I'm not claiming to have all the answers but, the people are now in Europe. How do we fix it? Through new and different public policy? Obviously the status quo is not working. We need something different and it's needed yesterday.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sadly, Europe seems to be in a situation that looks like it's kind of out of control. There should be no pandering to the immigrants/ refugees- if they don't adhere to the laws of the land they're in, it'll just get worse as changes will be made to make suit the immigrants making even more prejudice and division.
It's a mess for sure. Major, major mess.....

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

You define assimilation, yet only sat that multiculturalism is stupid and won't work. I would say the US is very multicultural. It is based on being multicultural. Unless you think Native American traditions are lacking when people immigrate here and I have missed your point.

You also seem to think that part of the audience here is 'brain damaged'. I have no idea how you get away with saying things like that.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

It is a huge mess. There is alot of noise made about rapes, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible and deported. That being said they make up a small percentage of all of the rapes that are occurring. Of course it is more offensive in the minds of many, after all these people are guests and supposed to be fleeing violence. I also agree that there should be no pandering. Integration and assimilation is, as I previously stated, a give and take process. Should Europeans give up their core values and allow outsiders to commit crimes and be held to a different standard under the pretext of political correctness? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The problem is that there doesn't appear to be a viable solution in sight. The political doctrine of multiculturalism sure isn't it.

That aside I think I'm derailing my own thread. This was meant to be more about the political theory of multiculturalism, not the migrant influx in Europe. It was however prompted by said influx. I guess we should just let it go where does because I have also been guilty of discussing the current refugee crisis. Perhaps that was inevitable.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Really? Which Native American traditions do you follow and which ones does the culture as a whole still follow?

And which tribe are you talking about when you are are referencing these Native American cultural traditions that American society as a whole is following?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

You define assimilation, yet only sat that multiculturalism is stupid and won't work. I would say the US is very multicultural. It is based on being multicultural. Unless you think Native American traditions are lacking when people immigrate here and I have missed your point.

You also seem to think that part of the audience here is 'brain damaged'. I have no idea how you get away with saying things like that.

Brain damaged? No, that is a bit of a stretch. Likely out of frustration. Have you read the linked article? I don't think anybody has anything against multiple cultures, rather we resent a political policy of multiculturalism. I hope that clears that up.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I respectfully disagree... back in the day when immigrants came here they were looking to become american, learn English and fit in because something in their home country wasn't working.

In my short 43 years having grown up in an area that saw a lot of immigrant workers, they went from working hard to fit in here in america... to working hard to make us change to the way it was in their home country.

Originally it was assimilation I think... now its forced multiculturalism.

Personally I miss the melting pot ideals, seemed to be a lot less blame (insert ethnic group here) and a lot more this is great (insert ethnic food/clothes/music here)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Oh, there was plenty of ugliness against people of different ethnicities then, too. Irish Catholics were targeted for hatred, and there was a time when all immigration was shut down to assimilate the influx of Eastern European immigrants who came in because people feared that they would overwhelm American culture.

And to be clear, most people I know who are "anti-immigrant" aren't anti-immigrant so much as they are anti-illegal (or anti-H1B). They're smart enough to realize that illegals come from many countries and continents and that many of Hispanic origin are here legally. We also recognize the work ethic of immigrants from the S. American countries, Caribbean and Africa and other places. They bust their butts more than our own welfare queens and trailer trash do, but that doesn't change our preference that they follow our immigration laws to get here.

See, we hold the belief that a person who follows our laws from the start is likely coming here with the idea that they want to enter the melting pot and be American rather than remain forever a Kenyan, or Mexican, or Jamaican, or Korean, or Czech, etc., who simply resides here to take advantage of our system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join