It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So for those who think Trump's profanity is un-presidential

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I find it amusing that so many people who say Trump's blunt, coarse choice of language is so unbecoming of someone who wants to attain the prestigious office. Apparently that's a prerequisite for some who actually held the office. But today's world of 24/7 news coverage and social media makes it more pronounced.

"A Brief History of Political Profanity"

"President Obama wants to kick some ass. During a June 8 interview with Matt Lauer on the Today show, Obama said he had been talking to experts about the BP oil spill so he could learn enough information to find out "whose ass to kick." The comment wasn't particularly vulgar — we've heard worse from Vice President Joe Biden — but coarse language always seems shocking when it comes from the mouth of a President.

Until recently, vulgar outbursts were often cleaned up before they were reported to the public. Jack Garner, Franklin D. Roosevelt's Vice President from 1933 to 1941, once said the job of VP was "not worth a pitcher of warm piss."

Lyndon B. Johnson had a famously dirty mouth. He chided Canada's Lester Pearson for his anti-Vietnam stance by saying, "You pissed on my rug," and once likened the difference between a Senator and a Representative to "the difference between chicken salad and chicken s___." He even considered removing J. Edgar Hoover as FBI chief but changed his mind, reasoning that "it's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in."

Yet despite Johnson's many outbursts, Richard Nixon holds the unofficial record for being the most openly profane U.S. President — probably because he recorded much of what he said in the Oval Office. In a taped 1971 conversation between the President and two of his aides, Nixon called Mexicans "dishonest," said that blacks lived "like a bunch of dogs" and that San Francisco was full of "fags" and "decorators." And that was just one conversation".

The same thing happened to then Texas Governor George W. Bush in 2000, when he called veteran New York Times reporter Adam Clymer "a major league asshole".
content.time.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

My two cents....

While I tend to agree with a lot of Trump's sentiments and his "shoot from the hip" delivery at times, he does tend to use some language and innuendos that I feel are out of place and improper.

That being said, I find the attention that people give to his language amusing. They take issue with so many of the words he uses, yet don't seem to be bothered by other candidates/politicians that make bold faced lies. Its as if they don't care if they are lied to, as long as the language is pretty. Very strange and quite comical.
edit on 9-3-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

There are people who do not like the vulgarity and saying others did it isn't going to change their minds.

Personally I don't care, but I am not voting for him anyway because of other things. I am just saying you wont change peoples disposition on it by saying others said bad words.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I don't think it's his use of profanity that makes people like or dislike Trump.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
I find it amusing that so many people who say Trump's blunt, coarse choice of language is so unbecoming of someone who wants to attain the prestigious office. Apparently that's a prerequisite for some who actually held the office. But today's world of 24/7 news coverage and social media makes it more pronounced.

"A Brief History of Political Profanity"

"President Obama wants to kick some ass. During a June 8 interview with Matt Lauer on the Today show, Obama said he had been talking to experts about the BP oil spill so he could learn enough information to find out "whose ass to kick." The comment wasn't particularly vulgar — we've heard worse from Vice President Joe Biden — but coarse language always seems shocking when it comes from the mouth of a President.

Until recently, vulgar outbursts were often cleaned up before they were reported to the public. Jack Garner, Franklin D. Roosevelt's Vice President from 1933 to 1941, once said the job of VP was "not worth a pitcher of warm piss."

Lyndon B. Johnson had a famously dirty mouth. He chided Canada's Lester Pearson for his anti-Vietnam stance by saying, "You pissed on my rug," and once likened the difference between a Senator and a Representative to "the difference between chicken salad and chicken s___." He even considered removing J. Edgar Hoover as FBI chief but changed his mind, reasoning that "it's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in."

Yet despite Johnson's many outbursts, Richard Nixon holds the unofficial record for being the most openly profane U.S. President — probably because he recorded much of what he said in the Oval Office. In a taped 1971 conversation between the President and two of his aides, Nixon called Mexicans "dishonest," said that blacks lived "like a bunch of dogs" and that San Francisco was full of "fags" and "decorators." And that was just one conversation".

The same thing happened to then Texas Governor George W. Bush in 2000, when he called veteran New York Times reporter Adam Clymer "a major league asshole".
content.time.com...

How dare you use facts?? People also forget who President Obama went to church with...

I would also bring up Hillary's famous speech regarding the right to not be silenced and to challenge the status quo...really paraphrasing on that one..

I'm not fond of Trump but people have really selective memories...especially the media.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Surely, we have to include George's other faux pas. (Warning!)
www.youtube.com...
And he won the presidency twice. Or did he?
edit on 3/9/2016 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Surely, we have to include George's other faux pas. (Warning!)
www.youtube.com...
And he won the presidency twice. Or did he?

To be fair he won it once, was coronated once over Gore.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Quite honestly, I don't think this is how he is going to behave once he is president. As an intelligent businessman, he has witnessed many election processes , and he seems to be using the same passionate tone of voice in his speech , he is showing himself to use the same mudslinging techniques that politicians use in EVERY election. He is adding a new element into it of himself being flexible for negotiating purposes in the future, he is also showing the kind of strength and confidence that Americans want in the Whitehouse. I think once all of the bickering and elections are over he is going to turn into his pragmatic self and start reorganizing and changing things to a more fiscally sound formula.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Trump should either STFU or address our problems with real solutions instead of fantasy BS. "Mexicans build a wall"

I don't vote for mooks!!!

I don't mind Trumps language; but his fascist tendencies sure as hell do make me wonder about his agenda....I hold as evidence that "seig hiel" salute from his supporters. That's BS!!
edit on 9-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Trump should either STFU or address our problems with real solutions instead of fantasy BS. "Mexicans build a wall"

I don't vote for mooks!!!

I don't mind Trumps language; but his fascist tendencies sure as hell do....I hold as evidence that "seig hiel" salute from his supporters. That's BS!!

But he is going to make Merika great again!

And he's going to make Merika keep winning until your all sick of winning!

Derp derp

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I don't favor anyone in the GOP this election so I don't care who their official nomination is.

I have said before that I would never vote for Trump, but I have said that about Clinton as well.

The closer we get to a Trump vs Clinton election the more I feel we could survive 4 years of Trump and have some halarious SNL skits.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi Whith those options I would look at just not voting then move or go travelling for next 4 years and let the rest of America stew in there own stupidity.

edit on 9-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: Grimpachi Whith those options I would look at just not voting then move or go travelling for next 4 years and let the rest of America stew in there own stupidity.

That just reminded me of all the people in the UK limelight that said they would emigrate if New Labour and Tony Blair got into power...

I hear the Caymen Islands is a good option

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I actually did that in 2008. The problem is I wanted to do the same in 2012 and here we are 2016. Maybe I should just leave for good because it gets worse every election.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

If I had not been 9 at the time I probably would of buggered off when that piece of # got elected.

Funny I actually cried when that "thing" got elected. Even at 9 I knew he was a slim ball.
Obviously I have a good judge of charector!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: nonspecific

If I had not been 9 at the time I probably would of buggered off when that piece of # got elected.

Funny I actually cried when that "thing" got elected. Even at 9 I knew he was a slim ball.
Obviously I have a good judge of charector!

Yup no one likes a slimball.

I remember people dancing in the streets and thinking "hmmmmmmmmm okay" anyhows not to take anymore off topic and all.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Please, PLEEEZE...do not compare trump to other presidents... he is a one of a kind.

link   

I find it amusing that so many people who say Trump's blunt, coarse choice of language is so unbecoming of someone who wants to attain the prestigious office.

Do you find it amusing when Trump hypocritically criticizes other people's speech as "unbecoming?"

Brietbart - Trump Responds to Vicente Fox: ‘The Wall Just Got 10 Feet Higher’

“I will and the wall just got 10 feet taller, believe me. It just got 10 feet taller. I saw him make that — I saw him make the statement. I saw him use the word that he used. I can only tell you, if I would have used even half of that word, it would have been national scandal. This guy used a filthy, disgusting word on television and he should be ashamed of himself and he should apologize, OK?”

So it's a filthy disgusting word and Vincente Fox should be ashamed of himself and apologize.

He also criticized Mitt Romney as "unbecoming" as he was ironically showing what clown he himself is at his victory speech / QVC circa 2007 extravaganza yesterday:

"and Mitt got up and he really shouldn't have done it. It wasn't — it wasn't becoming"

The showed some steaks that were purported to be Trump Steaks™ but were in fact not Trump Steaks™ at all. So not only was he being a hypocrite in criticizing somebody (anybody) else's speech, the whole fiasco was unbecoming and of course, he was lying.

Funny how you hold Trump to a far more relaxed standard than you do everyone else. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what would be reasonable? Shouldn't anyone who wants to be President be held to a higher standard?

link   
people are seriously discussing Trumps use of vulgar language?!

what they should really be worried about is what he's actually talking about, and the fact that he's not just posturing for the media - he's serious about everything he intends to do!

think about it - he's not the kind of man to go back on promises. If he says he'll build a wall on the border of Mexico, to gain votes, then once he's in, he's going to darn well build that wall - even if he has to use illegal Mexican labour.

I've heard people saying that they don't really care if Trump gets in as POTUS as they're not USAn (I'm British), but they miss the point - he's not going just do stuff that only affects the USA - his # will turn global.

I'm worried!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CrastneyJPR

Think that's part of the appeal for the rar rar crowd.

He might not make Merika great again but he will drag the entire world down in flames with America!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join